Westland Whirlwind

DennisTheBear

Evening gentle BMers! I picked up an Airfix 1/72 Westland Whirlwind last year off Evilbay, and on the top a previous owner has written what I presume to be references for it (it also has a sticker on the side saying $2.75).

One of the references is easy to figure out, that being "July 73 Air Inter", however the other has me stumped.

What would 'PAM 26' be?

And would any of you wonderful people have either if these references?

DennisTheBear

PAM News issue 26 .  It was a modeling magazine produced by a gentleman in Sheffield , UK by the name of Ron Firth .  It's original name was Plastic Aircraft Modellers Newsletter , later abbreviated to PAM News .  It was bought out by Scale Models in the 1980s & incorporated into SM .  It was a good magazine & was where I first encountered Neil Robinson .  I think I've got issue 26 in the stash - I suspect that the article is one of a series called Gilding the Lily by Dennis Teague , where he showed how to improve a model with simple detail additions .  I'm rubbish at scanning so if you want to PM me your address I'll put you a photocopy in the post , assuming of course that my ever-fading memory has the details correct .

John Green

Natwich , Cheshire

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DennisTheBear said:

I picked up an Airfix 1/72 Westland Whirlwind

which version? the 50's one, or the late 70's new tool?

IIRC the 70's one is  decent for it's time.   

The 50's can be upgraded, there is an early 70's Scale models with an article on this.

@brewerjerry would a a good chap to advise on the kit, and you may well find more up to date references available as well.

HTH

Hard to imagine a better reference that the 4+ Publication Westland Whirlwind in their World War II wings series.  At the time 4+ were cosy with the Westland archivist and did a number of superb monographs on Westland products (Wyvern, Wessex, Lysander).  Fighting it out for the number 2 slot are the Crawford/Listemann Westland Whirlwind Mk I (no 4 in their Allied Wings series) and Vic Bingham's Whirlwind (Airlife, 1987)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, cngaero said:

At a guess Dennis, I'd suggest it's PAM News, later renamed Plastic Aircraft Modelling. It disappeared from the shelves many years ago.

Thanks for that cngaero! As far as I can tell from the price sticker this kit was sold here in good old Oz, so how the original owner knew about that publication is a mystery.

24 minutes ago, rs2man said:

PAM News issue 26 .  It was a modeling magazine produced by a gentleman in Sheffield , UK by the name of Ron Firth .  It's original name was Plastic Aircraft Modellers Newsletter , later abbreviated to PAM News .  It was bought out by Scale Models in the 1980s & incorporated into SM .  It was a good magazine & was where I first encountered Neil Robinson .  I think I've got issue 26 in the stash - I suspect that the article is one of a series called Gilding the Lily by Dennis Teague , where he showed how to improve a model with simple detail additions .  I'm rubbish at scanning so if you want to PM me your address I'll put you a photocopy in the post , assuming of course that my ever-fading memory has the details correct .

John Green

Natwich , Cheshire

Wow! The collective knows all! Thanks for the offer John but I think that it is a little far to send anything all the way to northern Australia. I'll be able to find something on the wonderful land of the interweb.

45 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

which version? the 50's one, or the late 70's new tool?

IIRC the 70's one is  decent for it's time.   

The 50's can be upgraded, there is an early 70's Scale models with an article on this.

@brewerjerry would a a good chap to advise on the kit, and you may well find more up to date references available as well.

HTH

Thanks for the reply Troy! It is the 1978 release with "NEW" on the box lid. The detail is finely raised panel lines and seems very nice, although the cockpit is non-existant in terms of detail. I'm sure the interweb will be my friend.

DennisTheBear

The best reference book is Valiant Wings Publishing Airframe Album No.4 The Westland Whirlwind  by Richard Franks published 2014. Australia Kookaburra Publishing produced a small well detailed book on this aircraft in the sixties try Abebooks.

1 hour ago, DennisTheBear said:

Wow! The collective knows all! Thanks for the offer John but I think that it is a little far to send anything all the way to northern Australia. I'll be able to find something on the wonderful land of the interweb.

DennisTheBear

Dennis

It wouldn't be any trouble to post you a photocopy , so drop me a PM if you can't get fixed up online .

Cheers

John

T-21 beat me to it re the Kookaburra title - here is an example, I think it's the initial edition, later ones had a b/w photo cover. No idea how accurate the drawings are, their look is very good (but so is that of their Boomerang drawings, which have been said to be all wrong). I guess it should be possible for you to find them in Oz via Abe or other channels. Otherwise, I second the 4+.

The reference to 'Jul73 Air Inter' would be to 'Air International' although I think in 73 it might have still be called 'Air Enthusiast' The magazine is still with us, although I have not looked at it for years. When I lived in Sheffield  bought PSM News in the big newsagent there and I first meet Neil at a model come electrical shop called 'John Sylvesters' and was invited to the very active IPMS branch there was in Sheffield at the time. 

The Airfix Whirlwind was not a bad kit at all apart from the lack of any meaningful cockpit detail, built one about 83 and I have no idea what happened to it. It should make up into a nice model. 

Not sure when the monthly switched to AI, but it must have been around the time, when I was starting to walk...

Wasn‘t Ron Firth a member here, Fluff75 or similar? He also was behind Hallam Vac, around the mid/late 80s.

Nitpicking a bit, I think he was actually named Silvester, he had ads in the monthlies for some time.

I have extremely fond feelings for that kit as it was my first self-bought, self-built aircraft kit. Slashed together in an afternoon with Faller PC-505. Painted later with my father‘s Authentics around the decals. I was proud, and it’s very likely a better rendition than Trumpeter‘s 48th kit. BTW, I should have the Kookaburra title so if you’re unable to find it, drop a line.

Thanks for the replies, info and offers everyone! Bit slow in answering just now as I'm learning a new job. On lunch now but will get on to this as soon as I have a proper break.

DennisTheBear

Yes, the late Ron Firth was Fluff75 on here. I've got most issues of PAM News, and Ron did give me permission to scan articles for some people on the ATF years ago, so it should be all right copyright-wise to do a scan of the article if you want it. It's only a page and a half, and most of that is a sketch page of the details to be added.

I think Air Enthusiast became Air Enthusiast International in 1973 and then Air International from 1974, with Air Enthusiast revived as the quarterly sister magazine.

• Like 2

Hi

just noticed the thread, any particular info you need

just PM me your e mail and i will see what i can find in my manuals/notes/etc

I am not a fan of the valiant wings book it sadly has quite a lot of errors, ( the most sadly amusing is that they use someones whiff/alt history idea as historical fact  )

the kookaburra book is good

as is the 4+ book 

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

If you are into classic reference material to go with your classic kit, LOL, the “Boxart Den” site is worth a look!

Here’s theDucimus “Camouflage and Markings” covering the Whirlwind:

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/11-Meteor-Whirlwind

And of course, none of us of a “certain age” would begin any project without the Aircraft in Profile monograph:

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Aircraft-Profiles/Britain/WW2/Westland-Whirlwind

Edited by MDriskill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cocky05d said:

Just come back from a week in Norfolk ,visited the Norwich aviation Museum ,there is a full size mock up of a Whirlwind cockpit ,i will post the photos i took if they will be useful to you .

Please do 

I live nxt to westlands airfield... all helicopters now and odd private plane..

This aircraft is 1 of my favs . And had a Westland aircraft history book from my dad from westlands ,with a lot of history on it.. sadly none left ,if I remember they had a few their after war but were then scrapped.. don't know if there are any full mock ups about today ..but it's a damn shame so many great planes are lost ...

Having built many whirlys and lysanders over my years...my late step grandfather has made many of classics in brass that site on my dad's fireplace ... 

I built the big matchbox lysanders for him in 80s for said brass sculpture , he bought me the kits to build so he could use as reference .

😀

16 minutes ago, ctb1971 said:

I live nxt to westlands airfield... all helicopters now and odd private plane..

This aircraft is 1 of my favs . And had a Westland aircraft history book from my dad from westlands ,with a lot of history on it.. sadly none left ,if I remember they had a few their after war but were then scrapped.. don't know if there are any full mock ups about today ..

Project to make a replica

http://whirlwindfighter.blogspot.com

Wow, thanks a lot for all the replies, gentle BMers!

I'm sorry for not replying sooner, the non-modelling world has caught me up (new job) and limited my time.

But it seems my next modelling project is decided.

Thanks to @rossm for the pdf material, extremeky useful to me.

@dogsbody, the profile material will be very useful.

@cocky05d, the photos would be brilliant, thanks!

I'll start a WIP when I begin the project.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the info!

DennisTheBear

• Like 1

@dogsbody, it's amazing you always seem to have a Granger drawing up your sleeve for any given subject. Thanks a lot for that one, as it were his that ignited my admiration for beautiful drawings, back in 1987 or something. No idea if and how much research effort he put into them, but they always looked neat & impressive. And of course I had no idea he did the WHirlwind...

BTW, this thread got me searching for the 4+ title, which I found at a very reasonable price at a German dealer I had heard about before but never looked into. Needless to say, he also stocks some other publications ranges (all at good prices), so some 180 € later I have a couple more 4+'s, Warpaints, Uncovereds and Under the Skin...