Need Mitsubishi Ki-15 “Babs” references

28ZComeback

I am seeking reference material for the Ki-15 Babs recon plane. Specifically I am interested in plans, close ups, and operational history. Can anyone suggest a book, article or Koku Fan spread?  Many thanks.

You could try the Maru Mechanic series of books. They may cover this though I am not totally sure as I do not have all the series.

4 hours ago, KITCAT said:

You could try the Maru Mechanic series of books. They may cover this though I am not totally sure as I do not have all the series.

Neither Maru Mechanic, Famous Aircraft of the World by Bunrin-Do, or Kagero did monographs on the Babs. There is very little out there on it other than some general  description and photos, but no detail photos or scale drawings that I'm aware of. If I find anything useful, I will post it. I did find some discussion on the J-Aircraft website regarding  interior colors, but that's about the best I can do- sorry!

Mike

http://www.j-aircraft.com/faq/Ki15.htm

The other great online resource is Nick Millman’s “Aviation of Japan” blog. He has done many articles on this aircraft over the years.

http://www.aviationofjapan.com/

Rene Francillon’s classic book, “Japanese Aircraft of the Pacific War,” has good short histories of the Ki-15 and its naval counterpart, the C5M.

Edited by MDriskill

• 2 weeks later...

For quite a time there was general consensus that for these aircraft no manuals survived. It seems that this is not so. I was fishing blindley (i have absolutely no knowledge of japanese language whatsoever) on online japanese library (NDL) and among other stuff one manual did apear.

So may i suggest  a following reference. It is a scan of original japanese manual for Imperial Japanes Army Air Force Ki-15II. Plane is essentially identical to IJNAF C5M1 (with exception of radio setup) and construction detail drawings can be used also for Ki-15 I and C5M2

It is in japanese (naturally) but from page 66 there a pictures (lots and lots of them)

Source: National Diet library digital collection

Manual for operating Type 97, headquarters, reconnaissance plane (Model No. 2) with drawings prepared by Army Air headquarters, March 1941:

http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/8815750?__lang=en

Edited by TISO
  • Like 3

Another quick solution is to go by instructions for Fine Moulds C5M2 1/48 instructions which seem fairley good comparing to manual for Ki-15 II with regards of detail. I know i know it is the lazyman solution but if it is the only reference one can get ...

23 hours ago, TISO said:

For quite a time there was general consensus that for these aircraft no manuals survived. It seems that this is not so. I was fishing blindley (i have absolutely no knowledge of japanese language whatsoever) on online japanese library (NDL) and among other stuff one manual did apear.

So may i suggest  a following reference. It is a scan of original japanese manual for Imperial Japanes Army Air Force Ki-15II. Plane is essentially identical to IJNAF C5M1 (with exception of radio setup) and construction detail drawings can be used also for Ki-15 I and C5M2

It is in japanese (naturally) but from page 66 there a pictures (lots and lots of them)

Source: National Diet library digital collection

Manual for operating Type 97, headquarters, reconnaissance plane (Model No. 2) with drawings prepared by Army Air headquarters, March 1941:

http://dl.ndl.go.jp/info:ndljp/pid/8815750?__lang=en

Thanks for that link, a very interesting resource for this lovely but poorly-documented aircraft!

On ‎8‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 9:23 AM, TISO said:

Another quick solution is to go by instructions for Fine Moulds C5M2 1/48 instructions which seem fairley good comparing to manual for Ki-15 II with regards of detail. I know i know it is the lazyman solution but if it is the only reference one can get ...

FM used this manual to create their 1/48 C5M kit.

• Like 1