Oh look, a Tempest

st george

1 hour ago, janneman36 said:

At least it is going to give the same stirr in communities as the Airfix new kits announcements!!

Cheers, Jan

On the delusion scale it's about on a par with Airfix announcing a 1/24 Vulcan: you just know it ain't gonna happen.  But it'll grab a few silly season headlines.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Britman said:

Oh ye of little faith! Have you all forgotten that wonderful mock up of the future freight transport propped up with hop poles? Its in service now.

That bottomless money-pit?  Perhaps the project went wrong when they took away the hop poles.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Seahawk said:

That bottomless money-pit?  Perhaps the project went wrong when they took away the hop poles.

Not keen then? I think it true of just about anything we aspire to put into service , especially in these modern times. As an aside , and in the spirit of dragging out old names for this new hardware , I thought Belfast II a better tital than Atlas. Whoops! Fingers moving faster than brain, our EU friends wouldn't know what we were referring to! 

Keith.

Hello, Sgt.Squarehead

Forgive my ignorance (and a week late question) but I thought Tridents have British warheads. The old Thor missiles, stationed in East Anglia, had US warheads which had been armed by dual keys system but it has been fifty-five years since those had been SOC. Cheers

Jure

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/25/2018 at 6:23 PM, bentwaters81tfw said:

oh..Boeing would like some money, no? 

Guess Britain is searching the opposite... someone with money....!

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I'm reviving this old thread as there's some news from my part of the world: the Italian Minister for Defence has approved the official participation of Italy in the Tempest program. Italian industries had been involved from the start (Leonardo was mentioned in the original MoD statement) and these had pressured the government from the beginning. The Air Force seem to have also been very interested from the start and now there's official confirmation of the participation. The current Minister may not be there anymore in the next few days as a new government is expected to take charge in the next week or so, but the deal is not going to change as she is part of one of the parties that will form the new government... and really these decisions generally are rarely affected by government changes here, as they are seen as strategic for the Country and the industry

• Like 3

On 7/21/2018 at 11:36 AM, Britman said:

Not keen then? I think it true of just about anything we aspire to put into service , especially in these modern times. As an aside , and in the spirit of dragging out old names for this new hardware , I thought Belfast II a better tital than Atlas. Whoops! Fingers moving faster than brain, our EU friends wouldn't know what we were referring to! 

Keith.

Perhaps we could have called it the Backstop.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 2:30 PM, Giorgio N said:

I'm reviving this old thread as there's some news from my part of the world: the Italian Minister for Defence has approved the official participation of Italy in the Tempest program. Italian industries had been involved from the start (Leonardo was mentioned in the original MoD statement) and these had pressured the government from the beginning. The Air Force seem to have also been very interested from the start and now there's official confirmation of the participation. The current Minister may not be there anymore in the next few days as a new government is expected to take charge in the next week or so, but the deal is not going to change as she is part of one of the parties that will form the new government... and really these decisions generally are rarely affected by government changes here, as they are seen as strategic for the Country and the industry

You are bang on Giorgio......although there is still a fair bit of Leonardo that is British...that said I'm 25% owned by the Italian government 🤣🤭🤭🤭

• 1 year later...
On 7/21/2018 at 11:36 AM, Britman said:

Keith.

Not sure why you feel in some way the EU is involved in naming it? Airbus is a commercial global company and operators are inside and outside of the EU, Malaysia for example........ 🙄

• Like 2

On 7/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, JohnT said:

5 minutes till someone says its ugly

Given modern computer design & the constraints presumed by those specifying, it is hardly surprising it shows strong similarities to other machines of similar (hoped for) capability. 

I suspect that this concept design will act mostly as a bid to get us into an appropriate syndicate. I'd hope that will be European, first because the problems of the USA may increase, making it a major challenging partner, as well as always a rather dominating one.  Besides, many of us looking at Gripen, Rafale or even Typhoon and contrasting with the style of, say, the F-35 and its competitors would suggest the former are more attractive and interesting to look at - and model ! 

I tend to be in the 'if it looks right...' school of engineering. I accept that the computers say 'F-35 good' ; that depends on who and how programmed them !  Of course those flying them will also say 'F-35 good' ; we pilots are loyal to the machines we have, typically.  

This concept looks OK, not spectacular, but then it is an early proof of concept. Look back at other concept designs., They mostly look very different to what goes into service.  (Not always; the impressive F-15 stayed very true to original intent. The Lightning mentioned earlier most certainly did not! )  

It would be nice if some company comes out with a model of this concept/prototype. Airfix used to do that - NA39, P1127, MRCA. There could be  a fair market there; just think of all the WIF folk and small (and not so small) kids who would build their own variants  in current greys or 'classic' colours.  Drat, I think I've talked  myself into a couple. Come on Airfix ! 

John B

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Britman said:

You misunderstood my humour.🙃

Keith

And I was 3 years late too!.......... understood and my apologies!

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 4:55 PM, JohnT said:

its worse looking than the F-35

A flying, rusty dunny-bucket would look better than the blimmin' F-35 "flying banana"!

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Haha 3

13 minutes ago, Beermonster1958 said:

You're being far too complimentary Chris!!

I believe that's known as "damning with faint praise".  I'm sure the F-35 will mature into a very effective airframe, but handsome it is not!

Chris.  

• Haha 1

I'm quite sure that it is a very effective aeroplane already, given the numbers in service and the orders from numerous nations which could have spent their money otherwise.  Handsome is as handsome does, but I can think of a lot worse.

• Like 1