Oh look, a Tempest

st george

What did the F35 cost in the end? Over a trillion dollars? What's the UK defence budget? 

In any case remember that this announcement is nothing more than a setting out their stall by the industry. They know as we do that an all British sixth generation fighter is as about as likely as a joint British/Russian mission to Mars. 

Essentially they're saying we're in the game and we have something to offer and they certainly do.

The minister said as much in his speech. 

Best thing to do is wait & see.  I doubt it'll look much like the mock-up if it survives the political aspect of its development (TSR.2 anyone?), but again - we'll see :)

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 4:39 AM, mhaselden said:

Have you ever heard them in a bar?

Yes they were and I smashed a couple of them at Pool … Strutting around in Black overalls . They were ok when they were at Brize early 80s ish , it was when they were at towns close to air shows.

Last lot I met was in 2002  The Pool games in a Hotel ( also with Utterly Butterly wing walkers very nice ) The Reds didn't know I was ex RAF and the BS was unreal ,on leaving I asked which entry or course number  they were ,then I told them mine . The faces were brilliant , spent 2 hours waffling to someone who knew they were waffling

All the  the clocks with nothing on were Smiths BTW

Edited by bzn20
  • Haha 2

On 7/16/2018 at 5:12 PM, Giorgio N said:

Since Leonardo is part of the consortium, this is already not a fully British project anyway.

Ooh touche' very good Giorgio....but to be fair it depends what bits ...if its the Radar then its Scottish🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿I love my Italian Masters 🤔🇮🇹

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bzn20 said:

Yes the Red Drones and...…………………………………………………. 9 blokes in a Container up the A1

Somewhat suprisingly I take no issue with the Reds consumate professionals top of their game......but WADDA NERVE....the maintainers the blues or whatever ....complete PREMADDONAS....its a Hawk 5 mins AF...gaw blimey strike a light

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, junglierating said:

PREMADDONAS

Correct . The whole team is something special but the ground crew are doing exactly the same job as crews all over on any other aircraft , not special .

The Aircrew were not doing a normal Pilot's job,  they  really are special . Remember the same thing going on with The Vintage Pair g/crews .

49 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Ooh touche' very good Giorgio....but to be fair it depends what bits ...if its the Radar then its Scottish🤣🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿I love my Italian Masters 🤔🇮🇹

I wonder if Giorgio would allow us to claim that Leonardo is also British given the Roman occupation of most of Britain a few centuries back?  They do have a connection after all  :D

For heavens sake dont go near the Germans again after Typhoon.  We will still be waiting on them agreeing the production/ entry to service time scale in 2060 after the design was crystalised in 2025

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Somewhat suprisingly I take no issue with the Reds consumate professionals top of their game......

I have a different opinion.  Two of the most unprofessional and downright dangerous displays of bad airmanship I have ever seen came from the Reds a few years ago.  Just around the time that they started having a few accidents.  Coincidence?   I think not.

10 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

An investment of £2 billion?  :lol:

As others have said.....Not going to happen.  :mellow:

Especially when most of the defence budget starts disappearing down the black hole that will be the replacement Trident submarines....

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I have a different opinion.  Two of the most unprofessional and downright dangerous displays of bad airmanship I have ever seen came from the Reds a few years ago.  Just around the time that they started having a few accidents.  Coincidence?   I think not.

Hmm the first occurance ill give you that although i do not know the whole picture.

The second occurance i think there was a procedural issue ...same seat in a Shar but so long ago i cant really comment

14 hours ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Never heard of anything. What happened? 

20 hours ago, mhaselden said:

We're repeating a lot of the same comments already posted on this thread:

Well spotted - merged down :)

9 hours ago, Mike said:

Well spotted - merged down :)

...and moved to the correct place.  Which muppet started a thread about a new real(ish) aircraft in a modelling section? :shrug:

• Haha 1

With the demise of the Su-57 in the past week most of the justification of the expense of this aircraft has just left the building. At least for now!

Perhaps Boeing are onto a good model with the F-15X? Keep your F-35's as spotters (or even buy a few of that alledged Japanese F-22 / F-35 hybrid if it happens) and upgrade the Typhoon fleet to 22 missile artillery ships.

So, in keeping with the trend for using old names for new types, such as the Lightning II, this will presumably be called the Tempest II.  Oh,er, hang on....

On ‎7‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 4:22 PM, Julien said:

Anyone else thinks it looks like the Firefox?

At least they have picked a decent name.

I was thinking the same thing, Julien!

Mike😁

On ‎7‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, magman2 said:

That design will be out of date, in twenty + Years.  🙄

tempest_fcas_ti_725.jpg

Net photo (MoD)

I wouldn't worry. This fantasy won't survive anything like 20 years. As soon as real money has to spent and real decisions have to be made, the politicians will dither and prevaricate and, the Treasury will balk at the cost. I doubt if this will survive even the next general election. I am sure that voters will be delighted to know that while public services are being slashed, their hard earned is being wasted on an expensive toy that, even if it does survive will be years late, hideously overpriced and unaffordable to anyone. Bad enough that we are wasting billions on floating white elephants like aircraft carriers with no aircraft and now expected to throw even more billions into a vast money pit called Trident replacement.:fraidnot:. Cynical mode OFF!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1