Oh look, a Tempest

st george

First provide agreed requirements, and agreed schedule, and then don't change them.

Of course this does call for an unchanging world situation, an unchanging (or even improving) economy, and an unchanging technology.  Not to mention unchanging personnel in the Services, Ministries and Government.  Simples.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 2

5 minutes till someone says its ugly

10 till another says its worse looking than the F-35

and 

15 Till someone says bring back the harrier/ Buccaneer/ Tornado/ Lightning (delete as applicable)

:D

It would be very good to see a UK project come to fruition but I wonder if realpolitik from the US and EU might try and kill it off as stillborn.  Still it would be nice to read a headline that the Buccaneer/Lightning were no longer the last "all British" etc though I wonder if this is intended eventually as a collaborative project?  How many would they build if it gets that far and what are the overseas sales prospects I wonder?

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

12 minutes ago, JohnT said:

5 minutes till someone says its ugly

10 till another says its worse looking than the F-35

and 

15 Till someone says bring back the harrier/ Buccaneer/ Tornado/ Lightning (delete as applicable)

:D

It would be very good to see a UK project come to fruition but I wonder if realpolitik from the US and EU might try and kill it off as stillborn.  Still it would be nice to read a headline that the Buccaneer/Lightning were no longer the last "all British" etc though I wonder if this is intended eventually as a collaborative project?  How many would they build if it gets that far and what are the overseas sales prospects I wonder?

Since Leonardo is part of the consortium, this is already not a fully British project anyway.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Oooohhh! Exciting times ahead if this comes to fruition, to my eyes it appears to be a cross-breed between the F-22 and the BAE Replica.

57 minutes ago, JohnT said:

though I wonder if this is intended eventually as a collaborative project?  How many would they build if it gets that far and what are the overseas sales prospects I wonder?

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall talk of Sweden potentially getting involved.

Choosing a name is the cheap bit.  If the UK couldn't afford to go it alone in the days of a. MRCA and b. EFA (when we were spending a lot more on defence), I can't see this happening, much as I would like it to.  Especially since the UK would not be a large enough market even for a launch customer (the UK Tornado order was 385, the original UK Typhoon order was 232 but has since been trimmed down, so would any future order from the gutted and emaciated RAF for the "Tempest" even stagger into triple figures?

But I would feel a whole lot more positive about a collaborative project with the Swedes: despite a relatively small industrial base they have a very impressive record of designing excellent aircraft and bringing them to fruition with the minimum of fuss. 

Edited by Seahawk
  • Like 2

Blimey this makes me feel old. This may enter service as I go out of service 😥

We have been excluded from the Franco-German next gen project (don’t know why?) but Airbus says we are heading in the right direction. 

Go figure.

Anyway. The logical thing is to have a flying technology proof of concept prototype as in the EAP of the 80’s flying asap.

So going by the name.....we have had Tornado, Typhoon and now Tempest. The next Hawker name is the (Sea) Hawk - done, Kestrel and Harrier (ditto). Wot’ll be the 2080 candidate?

Trevor

• Like 1

I like the design and from an American point of view I hope it gets built. Even better if the Swedish are involved as they do have a tendency to be efficient and precise. Thats interesting you're not included in the Franco-German next-gen project ? Could it be a snub because of Brexit ? 

• Like 2

By 2035 this will look very old and outdated: if the Spitfire had been developed to the same schedule it would have been too late even for the Korean War!

It's  pure daftness but it should grab headlines, even if it doesn't look particularly inspiring.

• Like 1

Electronics/avionics in particular seem to have a limited shelf life considering how fast the state of the art advances these days. At some point you have to freeze the design, but 18 months later obsolescence sets in.

Looks chinese to me.

I suppose efta or whatever typhoon was called probably looked iffy but it here.

So heres hoping  guess we will find out in twenty years 😐

Just now, junglierating said:

Looks chinese to me.

I suppose efta or whatever typhoon was called probably looked iffy but its here.

So heres hoping  guess we will find out in twenty years 😐

Well I am 65 in November and with the MoD civil servants involved, I doubt I will live long enough to see the prototype fly, let alone it enter service. And I do intend to try and live to 100.

• Like 1

I'm sure Clint Eastwood stole that from the Ruskies in the 80's

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Darby said:

nine of them will end up being painted red?

Yes the Red Drones and...…………………………………………………. 9 blokes in a Container up the A1

• Like 1
  • Haha 8