1/32 Special Hobby Nieuport 11 'Bebe'

Dear all,

Completed Special Hobby's 'French aces' edition of this kit.

This is the first multi-media kit (kit features short run injected plastic; resin and photoetch parts) I have built.   This was at times, a very challenging kit to get together.  The kit instructions are a bit vague in terms of exact part placement especially in the cockpit and precise location of lower wings to fuselage.  There are no obvious location points for fuselage, lower wings and undercarriage.  I got all the internal cockpit structure in place but struggled to get a good joint of the fuselage halves - I either had a 'step' between the two halves on top or bottom - I elected for the bottom being the part not seen the most when complete.   To get rid of this 'step' I glued some sections of plastic sheet which met the top of the step really well.  Once set, I sanded down filled with putty, then sanded all out again once dry.   There is now no discernable joint showing.

I could not easyily work out where the lower wings should go so decided to install upper wing first with the interplane struts hanging down - I could then individually fit each wing to the corresponding strut and fuselage.  This work really well but on the starboard wing, no matter how hard I tried, I could not get a good line up resulting in this wing not lined perfectly up in relation to port side - when viewed from front, the impression is of being lopped sided which it is not.  I have had to live with this unfortunately.   Undercarriage seemed a weak fit so strengthened using wire pins in the legs to add extra strength here.  Another issue is the engine - you are supposed to mount the rotary engine on a 'spigot' but when I came to install on here found the spigot far to long as cowling would not fit over it.   In the end, the only way to get cowling over the engine was to completed cut away this feature - I was (sadly) forced to glue engine against bulkhead with a thin shin cut from plastic sheet - this all worked, but the prop and engine do not turn as result which was a shame.  I also admit to a few mistakes on my part here and there!!

This all makes it seem like such a terrible model which it is not.  This is actually a very buildable model provided you undertake a bit of thought beforehand undertake continuous dry fit testing before glueing.   I actually really enjoyed the build - I've even ordered a couple more of thier WW1 range, so that proves I liked the kit on the whole!

Built OOB with the only minor exception of drilling out holes on the pilots seat and wheel covers for the tyre valves.  Finished entirely by brush and weathered with combination of washes, dry brushing and artist oils to stain aircraft fabric (and to simulate wood on prop, tail skid and interplane struts) a bit.

I hope I have not uploaded too many pictures - constructive comments always welcome.

PVDlwRT.jpg

QwD8yI9.jpg

Nk2BKAf.jpg

gcnBZXh.jpg

IECwpYl.jpg

TSoWKWc.jpg

1Mns60a.jpg

qmQblJt.jpg

1DolUuf.jpg

K3UnEys.jpg

md7Wpvr.jpg

Regards

Dave

• Like 23

Hi Dave,

extremely well built and superbly painted! I was unaware of the SH range of 1/48 WW1 planes, and this is the second Bebe Nieuport that I see built in 2 weeks.

Is it coincidence or a sign that I should get one? As I don't believe in coincidences...

Congrats!

JR

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jean said:

Hi Dave,

extremely well built and superbly painted! I was unaware of the SH range of 1/48 WW1 planes, and this is the second Bebe Nieuport that I see built in 2 weeks.

Is it coincidence or a sign that I should get one? As I don't believe in coincidences...

Congrats!

JR

Thank you kindly, JR - I've not built the 1/48 versions, so I don't know how well they go together unfortunately.  If you are tempted then I think you should give it a go as you would not be disappointed - provided you test fit and you plan carefully you should not hit any major problems.

Despite my issues during the build, at the end of the day I am generally pleased how it turned out and it is such a pretty little plane too.  I've now bought the 32nd scale Fokker DII and Morane Saulnier type N and will tackle these at some point in the future.   Let me know what decide to do.

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

Hi Dave,

Apologies, I meant 1/32 SH kits... Although I believe they do have 1/48 WW1 kits as well.

I do not think I am fit to tackle a MS type N. The rigging appears to be very similar to my own idea of hell. And an un-rigged kit does not bear thinking.

If I succumb, I sure will come back for some advice.

JR

• Like 1

Sorry Dave but I have been off form (and forums) of late and missed this gem. Really glad that I saw it earlier today as it looks even better on the table than in these photos.

As usual you shame all of us with your superb finish with a hairy stick, and the choice of markings is also very interesting. Great model in every way.

P

Lovely little Bebe Dave, I'm always amazed by the superb finish you get with a brush. I see no sign of any struggles during the build, it looks like a WnW kit from here!

I built one of these a few years ago, and have my eye on a Morane Saulnier 'N' ever since, so I wait with interest to see what you make of yours!

Cheers

John

18 hours ago, pheonix said:

Sorry Dave but I have been off form (and forums) of late and missed this gem. Really glad that I saw it earlier today as it looks even better on the table than in these photos.

As usual you shame all of us with your superb finish with a hairy stick, and the choice of markings is also very interesting. Great model in every way.

P

Thank you kindly, Pheonix

8 hours ago, Viking said:

Lovely little Bebe Dave, I'm always amazed by the superb finish you get with a brush. I see no sign of any struggles during the build, it looks like a WnW kit from here!

I built one of these a few years ago, and have my eye on a Morane Saulnier 'N' ever since, so I wait with interest to see what you make of yours!

Cheers

John

Thanks, John

Started brush painting originally out of necessity but have just continued out of preference now.

May be a while before I tackle Special Hobby's MS type N due to other projects.  However, contents in the box look good so hoping this will go together reasonably well.

Regards

Dave