Travel to Brisbane, Australia

Pauly Block

Hello fellow Britmodellers,

I have now had confirmation that I will be travelling to Brisbane for a business trip in September. This will be my first trip to Australia so I'd like to ask the usual questions about any advice that anyone can give regarding the Brisbane area? - obviously model shops or museums (especially aircraft or military related) worth visiting would be a bonus! I'm really looking forward to the trip (if not the journey there) and any information that will help in making my visit even more interesting would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Paul. 

You could head to the State Museum in Brisbane that has the only remaining World War One German Tank ( A7V ) on display. The major hobby shops are Hobbyrama at Stafford, Hobby One at Mt Gravatt and Mr Toys Toyworld on the southern side at Springwood.

• Like 2

Gday Paul

Sorry that your initial view of Australia will be through Brisbane.  We have much nicer cities here😁  Brisbane is  clean and modern, just a bit soulless.  Mick has pointed out the good hobby shops, to visit

To  the State Museum, I would add The Maritime Museum as well worth a visit

https://maritimemuseum.com.au/ although I think at the moment the tank has been loaned to The war memorial

Enjoy your stay

Bruce

Edited by pacificmustang
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, pacificmustang said:

Sorry that your initial view of Australia will be through Brisbane.  We have much nicer cities here😁  Brisbane is  clean and modern, just a bit soulless. 

True that!!

I expect however that you would like to see the odd patch of Blue Sky whilst you are down here, so at least you are heading in the right direction (boom boom).

I'll be honest., we are a bit thin on the ground for model shops and I cannot think of anything that you can buy over here that you probably would'nt find cheaper back home - unless the exchange rate is well an truly in your favour.

Not sure where about's you'll be based however if you're anywhere near the Corinda area do see Paul at the Austalia Post Office (623 Oxley Road, Corinda). This facility also trades as the "The Last Stand' gaming shop and you'll be surprised what gems and good prices are on sale here.

Besides modeling stuff - enjoy a XXXX and a well cooked steak at the Breakfast Creek Hotel, take a lesiurely ride along the river on one of our Citi Cats and bring your sunscreen and a few pairs of shorts.

Cheers.. Dave

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 2:18 AM, John Laidlaw said:

Hi Paul,

You may enjoy the Queensland Air Museum, which is about an hour and a quarter north of Brisbane by car. Caloundra's a lovely town, too!

Totally agree with the museum. Easy to get to by train and bus also.

• Like 2

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your replies! Some great suggestions there (especially the XXXX and steak! :cheers:) I have a Saturday and Sunday to myself for any sightseeing before heading into work on the Monday so I'm looking forward to the chance to have a mooch around. I have plenty of sunscreen at the ready but not so sure about the shorts - my pasty milk bottle legs might put a few people off!

Thanks again.

Paul.

• Like 1