Fleet Air Arm Canberra TT18 from the B2 kit...

Ok, Guys and gals. I've dropped the idea of the Frod Trimotor, which I may come to regret. I looked at the rigging and flying wires and throught. Life's too short!

So wanting to fill a hole in  my FAA collection and a model I've wanted to build for a while, I thought ok, lets build the Canberra.

So here are the parts that I had in bag, paced back in early 1980 before I emigrated to South Africa. The decals are original but I had/will supplemented them with the Model Art sheet 72-007 a target tug aircraft. In the bag were also the parts for a Bucaneer nose, so at sometime it looks as though I was thinking of a conversion. Time dulls the mind... I may or may not ad the Rushton target pods but I'll have to scratch build those, aloso the wing tip takns may not get fitted. We'll see.

Anyway, so far I've spent about nine hours on construction, trailing edge thinning and panel line removal and re-scribing. Using the Av News drawings as a  guide. Maybe the Ford rigging might have been a better option! Who knows?

The fit of parts is not the best, the cockpit assembly fits where it touches. I've found a a pair of Aeroclub MB Mk6/7 seats, which may not be accurate but once the canopy is in place, who is going to put a scale rule to them?

Another potential problem that reared it's ugly head and not one I wanted to get involved with, was that I found mention that the TT's had a 5mm (scale) plug in the fus, just ahead of the wings. The I found reference to the contrearry, so no cutting required!!!

So lots of sanding and scraping I'm making prgress...

IMG_3411crre.jpg

IMG_3413crre.jpg

I'll take a pic, later of where I'm at with the build.

Colin

• Like 7

Just trying to give you a bit of positive encouragement by 'liking' your post on the Canberra (I usually have a look in while on my laptop) - I had a look at all the Airfix options on this aircraft and there are quite a few in both 1/72 and 1/48 scales - but your one here is definitely the first and pre-1980 kit.

I was looking forward to the Ford Trimotor (as I think I said previously) as it was a very interesting aircraft but was unaware there was any rigging on it - however, it sounds like you are really getting some steam up to build the Canberra which sounds like an old friend. Happy building! Cheers. Mike

• Like 2

Ok, Done some photography since my last post, so two images of the work so far. As mentioned, lots of sanding to remove the panel lines and then the rescribing plus lost of scraping, lots of scraping to reduce the trailing edge thickness... I used a fresh scalpel blade for this then a sanding block getting progessively smoother with the grit. Some slight filling was require but considering the age of the kit, I think I got away lightly!!!

I'm happy with where I'm at, at present. We'll see if  can make progress tomorrow afternoon...

Cheers Colin

IMG_3445crre.jpg

IMG_3446crre.jpg

The item by the wing is a dental probe, suitably ground to make a scribing tool. Cheap, as in for nothing when you visit your dentist. You may as well get something back. He can't use them again...

• Like 5

Thanks, I was in the mood to play catch-up. So piled in for one afternoon to do the basics and then a whole day for the filing, sanding and re-scribe...

Colin

• 2 months later...

Ladies and gentelmen, what can i say? I have failed miserably, in that I have been away form my modellign bench for far too long. Firstly, I got carried awauy with wanting to build the Tt with the Buccaneer nose and had added that to the forward fus but it was pointed out by a good mate that these cabs had an 18" plug forward of the wing. well, not wqnting to get involved in major surgery, I backed out of that idea. Snapped of the Bucc nose and went back to the glass nose. That, however is as far as I got...

So apologies that I haven't completed my build but rest assured it will get completed for an (look on FVB) SAA 100th anniversary build down here in South Africa. If all works out a nice PRU Blue undreside with silver upper surfasec if not a/o silver with Bokky roundels or castles.

Colin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1