Mirage F.1CR Desert Camouflage Colors for Kitty Hawk kit

dreamwriter

Hi guys,

I´m about to start building the Kitty Hawk Mirage F.1CT kit, with the desert camo and I´m a bit confused about the colors, since the instructions indicate mixing is needed to get the right tones of Sand and Brown, Also, for the underside which seems to be a dark grey, the instructions indicate Gunze enamel C311 Camouflage Grey,but C311 (or H311 if acrylic) is Grey FS36622 that is more of a light grey. And to add to the confusion, all of the builds I´ve seen online either from the Kitty Hawk webpage or the Special Hobby kit, the underside color varies from a dark grey to a kind of greyish blue. Can someone shed some light on the correct colors?

Thanks,

Bruno

Edited by dreamwriter

I would go  after  a photo  of the plane you want to do.. lots of sand brown camo planes are actually CRs so take care what you look at!

There ate also quite some different sand brown shades on F1s  out there.. do not nessecarily trust the KH insttuction with colors, less so with armament!!!!

I am not using Gunze.. so no advice here...

Edited by exdraken

8 hours ago, exdraken said:

I would go  after  a photo  of the plane you want to do.. lots of sand brown camo planes are actually CRs so take care what you look at!

There ate also quite some different sand brown shades on F1s  out there.. do not nessecarily trust the KH insttuction with colors, less so with armament!!!!

I am not using Gunze.. so no advice here...

I will be building the CR yes, with desert camo and shark mouth. Sorry for the confusion with topic title. I´m not trusting KH´s instructions trust me! ehehe They say that Mr. Color C311 is Camouflage Grey when in fact C311 is a lighter grey like I mentioned, they can´t be trusted! And the built kit they have on their webpage, is painted with a greyish blue. To further thicken the plot, the Special Hobby kit´s instructions indicates a mix between Silver and White (about 90/10% ratio). The pics I´ve seen from the real plane, it seems KH got it right when they indicate Camouflage Grey, but the Gunze reference is wrong. And so far, the only brand I can find that has a Camouflage Grey is MR. Paint and the shade seems to be close to the color on the real plane pics. As for the Sand and Brown shades, I´ve figured them out, it will be Yellow FS33531 and Brown FS30219.

Thanks for the links exdraken. I took a look at it but the Arabia Type A1 is used in Jaguar´s, right?

Again these are for the F1CR, but I do have the Carpena sheets for when these aircraft were operated in the Gulf Conflict of 1991. Both sheets have markings for one CR and their colour schemes are as follows with the FS No and Humbrol paint Nos;

Upper surface. Sable Jaune Clair (Dark), FS30277, H84 + 5% .

Sable Jaune Clair (Light), FS30372, H84 + 15% white.

Lower Surface. Gris-Bleu Clair, FS36270, H126.

I don't know if these are the colours that you are looking at, but I do hope that they are of some help. 

• Like 2

For the Mirage F1 in French Air Force, here is the rule:

*F-1C undersides are silver on both the blue and 'Djibouti' camouflage schemes....

*F-1CR undersides are always light grey, on both the green/grey and all different desert schemes. One exception to this was the prototype CR, which had silver undersides.

With weathering and fading both colours could really become difficult to distinguish from each other however.

G

• Like 1

The F1CRs with sharkmouth flew on 1988 and wore Chad 2 paint scheme (there was a previous Chad 1 scheme in 1986-87). This scheme is darker and more contrasted than the Daguet scheme...

1 minute ago, guillaume320 said:

F-1CR undersides are always light grey, on both the green/grey and all different desert schemes. One exception to this was the prototype CR, which had silver undersides

Daguet scheme is another exception with a darker bluish grey... 😉

• Like 2