Another Wingnut Wings kit sold out

Epeeman

Just noticed this morning on WNW's website that the Roland DVIb fighter is now listed as sold out - another one bites the dust ..................

Watch the ebay prices for this particular kit soar in price now!

Regards

Dave

I am surprised by that one as I didn't think it would be a quick one off the shelves. Fortunately I have two of 'em so I'm safe. I can't see that one making it back into production again either as I can't think of any 'specials' they could do with it. As with everything Wingnuts do it is a great kit of an interesting aircraft though and well worth having

Just an observation: it seems to take WNW kits a long time to sell out. I wonder what are the implications of that?

It's been said they are a labor of love for Sir Peter Jackson. Could the time to sell out be an indication of how small the market is for these kits?

Some of you may remember Barry Stettler, owner of long defunct WWI focussed Rosemont Hobbies, and producer of his own line of WWI aircraft kits, Roseplanes. I was talking with him back in the '90s, and he said in his estimation there were perhaps no more than 10,000 WWI modelers worldwide. That may seem like a lot, but that includes all scales, so how many build 1/32? Of course he could have been wrong. 

An obvious person to answer such a question would be Ray Rimmell. I imagine he would have much better idea of the current market for WWI aircraft kits. Does anyone know if he has ever made an estimate?

4 hours ago, Beardie said:

I can't think of any 'specials' they could do with it.

an Emil Schape special would be all kinds of awesome, but i doubt they ever would as there isn't enough reliable information on it. when Richard Alexander was on that podcast, he made it sound like a project would tend not to go forward without enough research behind it. 

i'm surprised the early Snipe outlasted it. 

The Roland was the last WNW I ordered and received last month coincidentally. A rare moment of synchronicity on my part there.  

I agree that I can’t see this aircraft being on the top of a to do list by any other manufacturer.

I too wonder how many of these kits are produced in a production run?  Then of those produced how many are actually built as opposed to stashed? We will never know.  

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 2:55 PM, Jeff.K said:

an Emil Schape special would be all kinds of awesome, but i doubt they ever would as there isn't enough reliable information on it. when Richard Alexander was on that podcast, he made it sound like a project would tend not to go forward without enough research behind it. 

i'm surprised the early Snipe outlasted it. 

Perhaps because many more buyers of WnW kits are more enamored with the German aircraft, with their more gaudy, opps, sorry, colorful paint schemes? Of course, that doesn't explain why the RNAS Pup sold out.

Jim F

I would actually say that 10,000 WWI aviation modellers is probably an optimistic estimate. I have heard it estimated to be maybe around 1500 worldwide. I don't believe the runs are that big, and that's why they are pretty expensive. It's a lot of investment for a very small market and you have to factor in that many people, myself included, have multiples of each kit particularly when it is of a widely used aircraft with a lot of options. I prefer to have at least two of each kit so, even with multiple purchasing, I would guess that each run probably doesn't exceed say around 5,000. I am guessing that WWI is a small and ever shrinking market.

Hello Beardie and others. Speaking of myself i am interested in WW1 subjects. I shamefully only recently have become interested due to my personal bias in years past. I am attempting to rectify that situation. I admit i would love to purchase any WNW kit. However my main limitations are budgetary. It would consume about 50% of my yearly budget. To be honest I think its the $€£ that puts off some modelers. I wish WNW would produce a line of kits at 2 or 3 price points like Eduards kits. Eduard has the base overtrees, weekend editions, & Profipack editions. If WNW would do that i would definitely purchase the base and mid level kits. Enough of my amateurish griping please forgive. 

Dennis

Budget versions would be attractive but I very much doubt it will ever be something you will see from Wingnuts. In an email conversation I had with the chaps at Wingnuts some time ago they stated that they wanted to set a 'gold standard' where what you get is the ideal package and that anything less than what they currently put into each kit would be defeating the aims of the brand.

• Thanks 1

On 7/16/2018 at 1:55 PM, Jeff.K said:

... when Richard Alexander was on that podcast, ... .

Could you expound on "that podcast" for the uninitiated like me, please. What podcast when, and is it possible to access now?

Thanks,

Gene K

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/17/2018 at 8:31 AM, pacificmustang said:

That was an interesting podcast Jeff, but couldn't help thinking Richard sounded completely ambivalent about doing it. 

Ive heard him on other interviews and he's been far more animated.

Bruce

i've not heard him on other interviews, but i've been listening to podcasts for a long time, and these guys don't have the hang of either interviewing or podcasting yet IMO. they were a bit all-over-the-place. still, good info though.  

On 7/20/2018 at 6:52 AM, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

y. It would consume about 50% of my yearly budget. To be honest I think its the $€£

they're worth 50 percent of your budget and done right will take many months to build. 

my approach is max out my budget on WNW and the rest are 1/72 (WWII mostly, especially Malta defenders or US/JP pacific)

• Like 2

Personal opinion, but I don't have any issue with the msrp for a WnW kits. They are well worth the money, from what little I have seen of them, so far. The prices might bother those who have the urge, desire, 'need', etc.., to but each and every release.

I'm not in that boat, thankfully :)

Jim F

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jeff.K said:

i've not heard him on other interviews, but i've been listening to podcasts for a long time, and these guys don't have the hang of either interviewing or podcasting yet IMO. they were a bit all-over-the-place. still, good info though.  

Yep, Agreed Jeff. You're spot on.  Also somewhat surprisingly, they don't always seem on top of what is happening new release wise, especially a/c.  They should visit the Rmourmonger page here !