Best ju87

goose

10 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Don't mean to throw avgas on the fire or re-open the dreaded can of worms, but I just got my copy of the Valiant Wings Airframe and Miniature 14 on the Ju-87, and in the specifications table it lists the oal of the Ju-87A as 10.82 meters and the B through G as 11.0 meters. Also, in the kit review section, the reviewer for the 1/72 Academy Ju-87G stated that the previous reviews that found the nose section was too short were based on faulty drawings, and that the kit actually scales out OK in oal. (No mention as to which drawings were used  for this conclusion.) FWIW, both of the Arfix Ju-87B kits and the Academy Ju-87G got high marks.

Mike

Hooray! I agree. I went through a process to try and work out what was going on and  settled on the same length OAL B to G and modded my Italeri D-5 appropriately in this recent build. 

Ray

On 5/20/2020 at 11:29 AM, Jure Miljevic said:

I would not mind if someone would measure the surviving one, though.

If I ever get over to the UK the FAA Museum and Hendon will be my first two stops- if I can get somebody to distract the staff at Hendon, I will lay my trusty collapsible meter stick on that puppy and get the answer the whole world (well, the Luftwaffe modeling part of it, anyway!) has been waiting to hear! I can just see a D-5 or D-8 from one of the nachtschlachtgruppen with the Maander camouflage pattern sitting on my shelf!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Great Mike, and I would be only too happy to assist you, if by lucky coincidence I would be around at the moment.

I must confess that yesterday it occurred to me that perhaps I am taking plastic modelling a bit too seriously. Luckily, this morning a close encounter with a Spitfire (well, front fuselage from spinner to windshield, Merlin 63 included) made this moment of weakness irrelevant.

Anyone else suffering from such heretic thoughts occasionally? Cheers

Jure

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

Thanks, Mike. That helps and I am almost convinced any additional length Ju 87 D sub-type may have gained must have been on spinner.

Jure

Hi Jure,

I agree on this. Without physically measuring the Hendon Gustav, all my reasoning and reference found the only variance in length between the Berta and Dora/Gustav series was a thicker spinner backplate and a slightly larger gap from the front of the cowl to the spinner. 

Ray

• Like 1