P-47 D, Razorback, Academy, 1/72, 5 pcs.

Touvdal

I will start on these 5 a/c, will build out of box, using the DK decals P-47 sheet P-47 over the Pacific 72040.

P-47D-23, 42-27700, Maj. J.M. Van de Hey. 78th FS.,15th FG., Hawai 1944.

P-47D-21, 43-25634, Lt. A. Marston. 311th  FS., 58th FG., Philippines 1944.

P-47D-23, 42-27886. Capt. M. Grant. 342nd FS., 348th FG., Philippines 1944.

P-47D-20, 43-25408. Lt. H. Dunning. 19th FS., 318th FG., Saipan 1944.

P-47D-15, 42-23190. Lt. R. Barnes. 310th FS., 58th FG., New Guinea 1944.

DSCN1736

Cheers

Jes

• Like 8

This is something! I'm losing any liking I had for this kit after building two of them. I can't be sure as I don't have precise plans, but it seems to me that the fuselage is just a little too short (between canopy and stabilisers), so check the decals for the codes will fit OK. You've picked some striking schemes, that's for sure.

I am aware that the Academy kit has som short commings, but taken the price into consideration and my approch to modelling that i would rather build 10 out of the box, than use a lot of time to correct one model. But then that is the nice thing about modelling we have all different priorities. 😀

Cheers

Jes

• Like 1

The Academy kit is close to a perfect fit lengthwise for the Hasegawa one in my experience, not sure how that equates to the real thing? It goes together well & to my mind, its most serious shortcoming is the splitter/ducting under the engine within the cowl opening that directs air to the oil coolers on the sides & intercooler in the centre, Tamiya & I believe Revell do this well, Hasegawa less so, Hobbyboss not at all & Academy just badly.

Steve.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, amblypygid said:

This is something! I'm losing any liking I had for this kit after building two of them. I can't be sure as I don't have precise plans, but it seems to me that the fuselage is just a little too short (between canopy and stabilisers), so check the decals for the codes will fit OK. You've picked some striking schemes, that's for sure.

It could be too that the decals are over sized, I've come across this from several well known brands.

Steve.

• Like 1

You may be absolutely right, Steve; I haven't been able to do a proper check. Either way, the practical outcome is the same, though - I struggled to squeeze the markings into the available space on my build.

1 hour ago, Touvdal said:

I am aware that the Academy kit has som short commings, but taken the price into consideration and my approch to modelling that i would rather build 10 out of the box, than use a lot of time to correct one model. But then that is the nice thing about modelling we have all different priorities

Absolutely, and the same price consideration means that I have two Academy kits in 1/72 (and a further example in a Special Hobby reboxing), and exactly none, yet, from other brands. Since I was going to use aftermarket decals on them anyway, the cost was a deciding factor: two Academy kits for the price of one Tamiya.

• Like 1

In the end, they do look very like P-47s, even the intake duct, my pet peeve with them, is not too obvious. Its good advice to check decal fit, especially with the intercooler vents in the fuselage sides to fit decals around.

Steve.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

In the end, they do look very like P-47s, even the intake duct, my pet peeve with them, is not too obvious. Its good advice to check decal fit, especially with the intercooler vents in the fuselage sides to fit decals around.

Steve.

Regarding the decal fit it is a good idea to precut the decals to fit the outlet on fuselage side, will make fit easier. To memory i think that it is already done on the Revell bubletop, where the decal is in 2 pcs.

Cheers

Jes

• Like 1

Some work done. Painted interior parts, Dark dull green for cockpit, zinkcromate yellow for wheelwells.

Also made small modification of the wheel hubs, spoked but has to be plated for my models, easy with a bit of greenstuff.

aa

20180716_192908

cheers

Jes

• Like 2

You don't do things by halves do you 😂

I struggle remembering where I got to last with 1 at a time, but 5 at once would fry my brain 

Looking forward to the end result :) 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...