1/48 RAN Westland Wessex HAS.31A

This is another of those long term builds that I have dragged back onto the bench. It is a combination of the Italeri Mk 1 and 3 kits. I have been following Steve Longs build as he obviously has an affinity and wealth of knowledge of Australian naval aviation.

Essentially I have modified the kits as per Steve’s build and subsequently with my own research been adding details as I go. Various small details such as hand holds, feature panels etc., were prepared with holes drilled for later fitting with copper wire. Also scratch built the port side external fuel tank using parts of an old 1/48 500lb bomb and also 1/72 F18 drop tank suitably modified. Numerous tie down rings were made from copper wire and plastic rod. I scratch built the cargo bay seats from plastic rod and some lead sheet (ex-Champagne bottles – stolen from the wife). Don't know why I did this because I subsequently closed the door!

There has been comment about the fit of this kit and to be honest I found it to be one of the best fitting kits I have built. Something that may have contributed to this was that during the construction (and considerable dry fitting) I did not cement any of the internal floor or ceiling pieces as they slotted into their various location points nicely. This allowed for adjustment when cementing both fuselage sides and the joins required very little filler. Interestingly I have experienced the same situation with an Italeri Seahawk that I am a long way through now (although the roof section did require some fettling to get a good fit).

I did photo document the build however have been too busy with work to post a WIP. If there is enough interest I may do a brief write up.

Decals were from Southern Sky Models (Ronin Graphics) and are excellent

Canopy Mask from Eduard as well as their pre painted cockpit set.

Special mention to Graham Molinex –Grubby Fingers website for his invaluable reference section – most appreciated sir although the more I saw the more I continued adding bits. Got to the point where I decided enough was enough.

So here is another addition to me ever growing Australian Military rotary wing collection.

Cheers PWJ

42723539504_018f646268.jpg

42723516124_7c759d546a.jpg

42723545394_6e095dbf6a.jpg

42723542194_cf75468f22.jpg

42723535974_02f9192254.jpg

• Like 66
  • Thanks 2

A stunning build indeed. You really have made a first class job of this. Have just been looking at another Wessex thread on here, and also contemplating starting my own in smaller scale.

Thanks for sharing

Terry

Outstanding!  Helicopters have never really interested me, but I have an Airfix new-tool Seaking in the stash which is tempting me to build one.

:goodjob:

Davey.

Superb finish.  A great miniature replication of the real thing.

Zhiz

Hello PWJ,

Master Modeler. This replica can go straight into the RAN Museum.

My highest compliments.

Regards, Orion

Thank you gentlemen for the kind words, appreciated. Re the images, sorry for that however they were taken with my Blackberry phone so the quality is not great. My Digital SLR Nikon is broken, I will borrow one of my sons cameras and take some better photos. I am currently on a run and the bench holds an almost completed Sea King, Westland Scout, Squirrel and Seahawk.

Bruce I will do a short write up and post some construction pics in WIP section.

Cheers and kind regards,

PJ

• Like 1