Silver Cloud kits in 1/48 scale.....Spiteful, Seafang and M.B5

Artie

Hi all......I've found those kits in my stash, and was wondering about their accuracy.

Not easy kits at all, with lots of work in sight.......but how about accuracy????? Is there anything really wrong with them...????

cheers

The Spiteful and Seafang are not the easiest kits but are worth persevering with, as a nice model can result . they are certainly more accurate in outline than the later Trumpeter  kits.

Andrew

• Like 1

I've built all and, although they require quite a bit of work, Particularly smoothing the rough surface finish, they turn into very acceptable models.

I even converted on MB-5 back to an MB-3.

And, as Andrew says, the Spiteful and Seafang look much better than the later Trumpeter kits.

Peter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Sort of off-topic, but Troy, you did a bang-up job on your Spiteful! What a beautiful airplane! If you put it next to a Mk1a, it's hard to believe they have the same ancestry! OK, back to the topic at hand!

Mike

20 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Sort of off-topic, but Troy, you did a bang-up job on your Spiteful! What a beautiful airplane! If you put it next to a Mk1a, it's hard to believe they have the same ancestry! OK, back to the topic at hand!

Mike

Not my build Mike!

I have both the Silver Cloud Spiteful and the Falcon Vac Spiteful/Seafang.  I did finally rescale and print the Spiteful cockpit layout plans I was sent by the chap who did the 1/32 resin kit, and try to make a cockpit, the scratching a wheel well has put me off.

The Silver Cloud kit fits where is touches... 

I did talk to @Colin @ Freightdog Models about the Silver Cloud kits, he got the rights to them, and kindly sent me some leftover white metal bits for my Falcon kit.

He was talking about how the mould got made,  seems the master parts were laid out on a board and sprayed with molten aluminium. (IIRC

There was a size limit in the moulding machine, hence the models being made with separate noses, they'd have been too big otherwise.

he might be able to add some more information on the kits background or correct my mis remembered details (it was a few years ago we talked)

30 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Not my build Mike!

I have both the Silver Cloud Spiteful and the Falcon Vac Spiteful/Seafang.  I did finally rescale and print the Spiteful cockpit layout plans I was sent by the chap who did the 1/32 resin kit, and try to make a cockpit, the scratching a wheel well has put me off.

The Silver Cloud kit fits where is touches... 

I did talk to @Colin @ Freightdog Models about the Silver Cloud kits, he got the rights to them, and kindly sent me some leftover white metal bits for my Falcon kit.

He was talking about how the mould got made,  seems the master parts were laid out on a board and sprayed with molten aluminium. (IIRC

There was a size limit in the moulding machine, hence the models being made with separate noses, they'd have been too big otherwise.

he might be able to add some more information on the kits background or correct my mis remembered details (it was a few years ago we talked)

Sorry, Troy! I was so excited by the link to the build article you posted, I didn't look to see it wasn't your build- I'm not much use to the world until my second cup of coffee, as you can plainly see! Thanks for the correction. (That scraping sound you hear is me removing the egg from my face!)

Mike

I do have the CMR resin and AZ Models injected kits, but neither really captures the salient features of the airplane well; the CMR kit being one of their earlier releases. That being said, they are both very workable and are, so far, the only 1/72 injected  examples that I know of.

Edited by 72modeler
added text

Hi Mike,

For the Spiteful, there is the old Pegasus kit in 1/72nd which I built a long time ago. It was a very rough kit and these days I'd replace the canopy, spinner/props and probably the radiator (molded solid so you have to whittle away the opening in the front).

The kit must have been reissued as this review below discusses metal parts and vac canopies mine didn't have -

https://modelingmadness.com/review/allies/gb/hobbinsspiteful.htm

Samples of both versions here on Britmodeller!

Co incidentally, we had our club meeting last night where I brought my "in progress" AZ Martin Baker MB5. Our club vice president mentioned he'd recently picked up the Silver Cloud MB5 recently at a swap meet for the princely price of $5 AUS! He was shocked when he went home to see what these kits go for on Ebay!

@Magpie22 - Dave C mentioned you had built the Silver Wings kit a while ago and you opinion of the attractiveness comparison of the MB5 and the CA-15 and he still disagrees with you! 😀

Cheers

MIchael

Edited by Michael louey
  • Like 2