Shavrov Sh-2

Ed Russell

I am looking for pictures of Sh-2 aircraft. I am planning to build the Amodel kit, which seems adequate enough.

I may not have all the colour instructions as the decal sheet is more comprehensive than the two schemes illustrated. They are K8 (well covered by pictures on the net) and X-104 (pictures - not at all).
There are a few profiles around - but, you know........ never trust a profile without a picture.
A GPW one with more than just stars would be nice but I'll settle for less.

Ed, the best quality takes (beside contemporary photos of musem machines) are those of captured two Sh-2, which had got into Finnish hands. I have some of them in one book on Finnish hydroplanes. Perhaps you/ve note that some months ago I did Sh-2 model from A-model kit. I was basing on them. I think still I have your e-mail address so I will send you if you like some drawings and pictures which I found in net and those from a book. 

Before it you may have a look here

https://ww2aircraft.net/forum/threads/captured-aircraft.24623/page-6

Regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 1

I am sorry, Ed, I have to admit defeat. The best wartime photo of VVS Sh-2 I found is a dark silhouette in the background of two Red Army soldiers, helping their wounded comrade. As Jerzy-Wojtek said, by far the best photos are those of two Sh-2S, captured intact after their crews had been lured into and then killed in Finnish ambush. Finnish Meritoimintakoneet book gives their registrations as CCCP-X-370 and CCCP-X-217. Russian books list them under the same numbers, but without CCCP prefix. Judging by the photos, which show overpainted areas, I would say both planes were originally also marked with red stars. In Finnish service serials AV-186 and AV-187 were allocated to captured machines, but were not actually applied. AV-186 was damaged beyond repair a bit more than a month later anyway, although AV-187 (former X-370) remained in service until September 1944.

Probably not very helpful, but you can see a photo of X-104 from model decal set, along with that photo I mentioned at the beginning of my post, here. Another photo of AV-187, this time floating by the shore, is published here (scroll it down almost to the bottom of the page). Cheers

Jure

• Like 1

Thanks guys - info received with thanks. I think I have enough to do something. I have the  Meritoimintakoneet  book, which i bought at a bookshop in Helsinki! I would have done a Finnish one but it's already been done here! Thanks again.

10 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

I would say both planes were originally also marked with red stars

In link from my previous post indeed there is side view in which machine is alrady with Finnish insignias but on rudder there and just next to yellow band over fuselage there are fresh overpaintings and the number "2" is seen on fuselage which is rather not a Finnish insignie but the orginal one. I was considering doing this scheme but finally I made mine Sh-2 in Finish colours after being re-painted by Finns.

Ed, I hope you have got mine PM with drawings. 

Regards

J-W