Delivering Monty's Tank

So it's back to the desert for me with a simple little diorama to show off the Merit 1/35th M19 Diamond T Tank Transporter.  The tank for transport is Monty's M3 Grant from the Tamiya 1/35 kit.  As it's dificult to see the driver in the cab, i'm adding a local inhabitant utilising the transport of the time!

So the basic layout is:

41602475750_54e113c988_b.jpg

With the componants as mentioned above!

29539854818_16d94cdd36_b.jpg

41602475230_9a178218ec_b.jpg

29539855588_c7f05b658b_b.jpg

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Andrew Jones said:

you'll need a bit more ballast in the ballast box , or it won't be going anywhere.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll need to research that!

2 hours ago, Andrew Jones said:

you'll need a bit more ballast in the ballast box , or it won't be going anywhere.

Been thinking about the need for balast Andrew, do you think 4 or 5 50 gallon drums full of sand would be appropriate, after all it would have been easy to obtain in the desert?

Apparently early Diamond T's were supplied with ballast , but later deliveries weren't , so ballast was improvised locally . Up to 10 tons of ballast could be carried, either steel or concrete , whatever could be found, so I can see no reason why oil drums full of sand could not be used.

Andrew

21 minutes ago, Andrew Jones said:

Apparently early Diamond T's were supplied with ballast , but later deliveries weren't , so ballast was improvised locally . Up to 10 tons of ballast could be carried, either steel or concrete , whatever could be found, so I can see no reason why oil drums full of sand could not be used.

Andrew

Thank you, that's what I'll do then along with some other useful bric-a-brac! 

21 hours ago, Badder said:

Looking good so far. Nice looking kit.

Rearguards,

Badder

Thanks Badder, it has some of the smallest plastic parts I've ever encountered!

Edited by Derek A

Right the vehicles are now just about finished, I've painted the trailer, add decals to the Grant and weathered both, may need to do a bit more but I'll get them on the ground work first.  I also need to add the tie downs for the Grant but I'll do that towards the end!

41747748080_fcd3bc2b3f_b.jpg

On 7/15/2018 at 8:39 AM, Andrew Jones said:

I've also added ballast to the truck, thanks for the advice Andrew Jones!

29684374468_7446d7d561_b.jpg

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Derek,

Lovely job. A fantastic combo of kits. I really like the look of the transporter 'tractor'. .

One question about the chipping..... Did you leave that until last or did you chip some 'sub-assemblies' before fixing them to the models? I ask because it looks like you chipped the winch before fixing it in place, whereas you constructed the entire trailer before chipping it.

I look forward to seeing the diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

Edited by Badder
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Badder said:

Hi Derek,

Lovely job. A fantastic combo of kits. I really like the look of the transporter 'tractor'. .

One question about the chipping..... Did you leave that until last or did you chip some 'sub-assemblies' before fixing them to the models? I ask because it looks like you chipped the winch before fixing it in place, whereas you constructed the entire trailer before chipping it.

I look forward to seeing the diorama.

Rearguards,

Badder

You are quite right, I didn't think I'd be able to get at the winch once in place and it's highly visible.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Life has a nasty habit of getting in the way!  I realise that it's been a while but I'm back on the job now!  The last thing to do was to make up and fit the tie downs to the tank and trailer.  I bought the relevant set from Accuarate Armour and found that even at a minimal length they were too long!  So after a fair amount of faffing I have them fitted and probably not to the right anchor points!  I prefer to have that not quite right than not to fit them at all!

39911072173_697542cb5a_k.jpg

So, on to finishing the base!

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

To finish the base I hm using clay shaped and stuck down with PVA to give the raised road edges.

47022278631_1e188607dd_h.jpg

Followed by some basic painting for the sand areas and the road rack bed.

33147071008_af0317d583_h.jpg

To enhance the very dry, compacted nature of the road surface I've stolen some of the wife's crackle medium to give the road surface a cracked appearance.  I've never tried this before so I was quite interested to see what result I'd get.  It worked even if it was a little more 'subtle' than I'd hoped!

46108566535_39346bfd45_h.jpg

Hopefully I'll be able to pick it out a bit more with a wash!

Just caught up with your build.  Very nice work on the vehicles and the ground work looks to be a good start.  The cracks in the road are an interesting touch, 

Looking forward to your next post 👏

So the basic desert areas have been sanded and the parched and cracked road surface given a bit of a going over and I must say I am quite pleased with the overall effect

32089903857_a1564d998a_h.jpg

There is only a little 'set dressing' to do and I'm happy to call this one finished, so look out for more pictures in completed dioramas!

Thanks for watching!