Academy Minicraft 1/144 Boeing B-52H Stratofortress

Another model from the past which I built in the 1990s.

3da4d6cd-c410-40f5-9f16-e0f1425687fe.jpg

resized_b0a49b86-9cc3-41be-a580-b648bee7

It was moulded in a dark green coloured plastic and included a very comprehensive selection of external weapons and rockets and decoy missile on a seperate white moulded sprue.

I decided to add detail to the cockpit and crew compartment and as I had made the decision to model it in flying mode I also made two small pilot figures.

resized_172f13be-9ce5-43e2-aa1d-952a210b

It was probably one of the only models that I decided from the start to build in flying mode. The wings were moulded with the downwards droop of an aircraft on the ground so I spent a few happy minutes bending the wings upwards in a bowl of boiling water while wearing rubber gloves. Here we have the model build well advanced with all the major components waiting to be attached. I have also built a card cradle for supporting the model during construction and then for storing and transporting.

I decided to model a silver and white aircraft instead of the camouflaged one which was included in the kit ( I don't know why I always have to make things difficult for myself ).

resized_f9d0bfb9-3244-42bf-b1a6-a7b4b653

Here is a younger me trying to mask the model with Tamiya tape after it has already been sprayed white in preparation for applying the silver.  I had forgotten about that German Lozenge Camouflage carpet ............... my Monogram RB-36 lurks above my workbench.

resized_9a4c82f3-d3c1-45cf-96f3-9df1fa6c

The completed model mounted on a home made stand from MDF with a brass rod. I had to paint the U.S. AIR FORCE by hand. The Hound Dog missiles came in the kit. I just did not know where to put the Quail decoy missile though.

resized_ccb22075-443b-46b9-9068-90ba7ebc

In this view can be seen a number of underfuselage aerials which is the reason why I made a cradle for it.

I wish I still had this model as it would go nicely with my two 1/144 Corgi B-52Es today....................................  I also wish I still had that hair

Hope you liked it.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 26

8 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Great looking BUFF 👍... The Quail was stored and launched from the rear bomb bay. I can post a photo if you want. 

I would really like to see that. The Quail is a fascinating looking thing, a bit like a Thunderbird 2.

regards,  adey

• Like 1

Nice Buff, I agree that it looks best in the silver & white scheme. Your scratch built interior show very well what a contortion it was climbing up to the cockpit from the underside hatch. I visited a museum in Rantoul, Illinois, where they had a preserved nose section you were allowed to climb into. It required almost acrobatic ability! Sitting in the cockpit with its 8 throttles and all the instrumentation was something else!

Happy days & great memories revived by your model.

Cheers

John

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Here is a good photo of it being released from the Bomb bay.

ikeZDJz.jpg

Fantastic photo, I have never seen a Quail being launched from a B-52 before, I also did not realise that it was that big.

Thank you very much Corsairfoxfouruncle

• Like 1

• 4 years later...