Spitfire mk1 1/32 wooden scratchbuild

Inspired by Bandsaw Steve's Avro 504K scratchbuild, I've decided to try hacking a plane out of a lump of wood. The subject is a Spitfire mk1, because Spitfires are awesome and the mk1 because when I'm out mountain biking in the south downs I pass the occasional poignant memorial to young pilots from the battle of Britain. 

Lumps of wood:

41598293060_7e1b6c68b7_c.jpg

41598296730_286270d8d7_c.jpg

• Like 10

Well now you’ve done gone and started a nostalgia reverie.  I seem to remember doing one or two like this those many years ago.   No bandsaw and templates cut out and stuck to cardboard with mucilage glue.  I think the vertical stab might have been glued on, crookedly no doubt, later, however. 

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 2

Brilliant job so far!  I've done a couple of solids and the sense of achievement is huge, even if the outcome isn't Eduard accurate.

You should visit the Solid Model Memories  website - there are plenty of Spitfires in wood there and everybody's is somewhat different in approach.  I am intrigued you have included the centre wing section and fillets in with the fuselage, I went for continuous wings and wood filler on my P-40e though that's only 1/72.  But as one makes all the parts for the model oneself there can't be any wrong ways to do it...though I did make a few wrong parts that got binned on the way, and one fuselage our dog nicked off the table and chewed.

Look forward to seeing how this progresses.

Cheers

Will

• Like 2

Can't wait to see the finished result.  I remember my dad telling me his brother would carve him Hurricanes and Spits and bring them home when on leave during the war.  My uncle was in the RAF - Leading Aircraftman\Fitter.

• Like 2

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I have learned important lesson no. 1: make sure the drawings have the correct angular spacing for the blades! 

This will be mostly hand carved with modelling knives, I think the sense of achievement and satisfaction will be higher. Having said that I roughed out the wings and fuselage with a band saw and a bench sander to save a bit of time. No super detailing though, it will be an obscured cockpit. The plan is to leave it unpainted, just varnished, with the major markings scribed into the wood; that way I have permission to display it in the lounge rather than hide it away in the study. Should keep me out of mischief for a few weeks :)

Nick

• Like 4

When I carve a lump of wood, it does turn out to be a beautiful........................... lump of wood.......  Like Ced, I love a Spitfire build and I also would like to tag along...... this looks great..... watching with great interest.....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Biggu said:

When I carve a lump of wood, it does turn out to be a beautiful...........................

......pile of shavings!! 

I'd like to tag along too this should be fun - & it already looks more like a Spitfire than a Starfix kit ever would!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Hope I can live up to expectation! Here is yesterdays progress, much sanding of the port side engine cowling and wing root while watching the tennis (the prop is just resting on the nose):

43402185342_15acea8c68_c.jpg

For the wood spotters out there this is bass wood, or american lime

Edited by Redshift
  • Like 8

After 3 hours of weight loss surgery

41666362240_8229e30035_c.jpg

29603165718_cf2e52cd0c_c.jpg

That's the bulk of the wood gone, apart from the fin and rudder and the canopy, tomorrow its hours of sanding with ever finer sandpaper. Going quicker than I thought it would, but I have noticed some wiggly bits that need straightening. Hand carving wheels and exhausts is going to be interesting.

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Wasn't it Michelangelo  who first invented the Spitfire? I'm pretty sure he made some drawings...

I don’t know about Michelangelo and Spitfires but these days Leonardo is building helicopters. 😆

Looking good Redshift.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2