Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

I was always struggling with finding the right diameter, so I went to an electronics shop, there they have spools with several diameters, going up with 0.1mm. (https://www.velleman.eu/products/search/?q=Wikkeldraad&search=Zoeken)

A bit costly, but it's gained back fast in speed (no need to search)

Edited by Silenoz
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Silenoz said:

I was always struggling with finding the right diameter, so I went to an electronics shop, there they have spools with several diameters, going up with 0.1mm. (https://www.velleman.eu/products/search/?q=Wikkeldraad&search=Zoeken)

Many thanks for this. I'll bear that in mind for when I run out (luckily 1/72 doesn't use a lot :coolio:).

7 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Nice going with the detail work Ben, especially the light guard.

John.

Cheers John - it was a bit of a pig to do (especially twice!), and I nearly gave up and used the kit piece, but glad I stuck at it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Guardtastic!  :thumbsup:

I keep meaning to invest in a stock of metal wire, rod & tubing.....But somehow it always seems to turn into another Modelcollect kit.  ;)

Thought you might like that :giggle:

I bought a couple of packs of mixed diameter rod and tube from Albion Alloys at a show at least 8 years ago. Wasn't great amounts of money and there's still loads left.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Despite the inferno like heat I've managed to get a couple of hours on this today and have just finished the build, ready now for primer then paint.

Made some tow cables from braided brass fuse wire and drilled out the kit ends to fit to them.

IMG_20180726_231953

Added the radio antenna base and the searchlight - gun barrel linkage.

IMG_20180726_232012

Replaced the strengtheners on the front fenders with wire  as I lost the kit ones filling the gap.

IMG_20180726_232021

Finally I cleaned up the seam on the fuel drums.

IMG_20180726_232001

I'll get it primed tomorrow morning and hopefully be able to get the green on by the end of the day.

IMG_20180726_231941

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

Well it was "nice and sunny" (read 32°c furnace!!) here this morning in the badgers lair so I got the spray cans out and primed the T-55, base and tracks.

IMG_20180727_164613IMG_20180727_164620IMG_20180727_164626

That dried in about 12 seconds so I left it 10mins just to be sure then sprayed the edges on the base gloss black, the tracks peugeot steel and the tank with Tamiya JGSDF green (its not as dark/blue as it looks in the photos which are due to the gloomy lighting from the thunderstorm we are currently experiencing).

IMG_20180727_164642IMG_20180727_164700

Need to find some decals and paint the details next then I can start having fun with the base. I have something very specific in mind setting wise which I will reveal over the next few posts.

IMG_20180727_164726

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

Bit more progress tonight.

IMG_20180727_224207

Decals are on (all 4 of them), I've painted the canvas roll on the turret rear and have started freehand painting the white stripes as there's way too many things in the way to try and mask them.

IMG_20180727_224157

Looks a bit stark at the moment but I figured the stripes were probably hand painted originally so I didn't want them perfectly straight and even. It will also have several washes, filters, weathering and dust applied which will blend things together.

IMG_20180727_224207

Started painting the base a bit - have blocked in the concrete section and painted the tram rails. Need to do the cobbles next then this can be weathered and I can start adding more details.

More tomorrow

All the best

Ben

• Like 7

Tonight has been spent doing some work on the base.

My shading wash is still wet so it looks very glossy at the moment.

2018-07-28_11-08-35

The spill from the pail is paint, not milk (clue as to where it is set?)

Done a little bit on the tank and started to work on the tracks.

2018-07-28_11-11-28

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 7

Sadly not had any time to work on this for a few days as have the builders in next week refitting the kitchen so have spent the last few nights packing stuff up.

Will be a week or two before I can get back to this which is a shame as I was really enjoying it.

All the best

Ben

• Sad 1

On 01/08/2018 at 10:35, wangmm2047 said:

It looks cute.

Many thanks - there's quite a lot more to do on it yet but it'll be at least a week before I can return to it :waiting:

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Looking good fella, I like the base too.....The paint can's a nice touch, looking forward to seeing it develop further.  :coolio:

Cheers Sarge.

There's more "stuff" to add to the base - flags, placards, loose cobbles etc.

In my head I see it as the tanks have just broken up a protest, forcing the protesters to flee.

I was contemplating having some thrown paint splattered over the tank, but am dubious of my ability to pull it off in a realistic manner and am a bit frightened of totally messing up all the work that's gone into it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Set your airbrush to silly mode, then fire something thin and brightly coloured just above your tank, let it collect some light spatter maybe?  :shrug:

Can't think of a much easier way to mess up your model TBH, but if, by lucky chance, it worked.....  :P

• Haha 2

I had thought of that but it's much too risky, also contemplated loading a paintbrush and flicking it at the tank.

Will probably leave it but it might be fun to try it on a paint mule in case it did work 🤔

• Haha 1

Sarge got me thinking so I quickly unpacked a few bits and had ten minutes off from emptying my kitchen out.

Say hello to "Dave" the paint mule (bought as part of a job lot and weirdly has the turret screwed together :bangin:)

IMG_20180802_212512

Dave is about to get splattered!

IMG_20180802_213445

Hmm - flicking doesn't work

IMG_20180802_213455

However "dabbing" / "stabbing" the brush at the model looks vaguely promising. I quite like the effect on the turret here.

IMG_20180802_213506

Think I have the paint much too thin so will reprime Dave and try again when I get a moment.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

I dunno Ben, I reckon the thin paint looks good at the scale, you can always add another layer.....Thicker paint might look too stark.

For mud spatter I sometimes blow paint or pigments off the end of a brush onto the model, apparently some folk use the airbrush to do it, but I do it the old fashioned way as you get better control.....Maybe an option for your consideration?

Maybe paint Dave the same colour (I like your choice BTW, it looks good) as the T-55 before your next experiment?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cheers Sarge - some good advice there.

I'll get Dave primed and sprayed green then have a play as I think the idea has some merit.

Will try blowing some paint as well and see what that works like.

All good fun.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Maybe paint Dave the same colour (I like your choice BTW, it looks good) as the T-55 before your next experiment?

Cheers Sarge

Tamiya JSDF green rattle can as it seems to have a slight blue tint that I quite liked.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly no progress on this for a little while as have had a week away while the new kitchen was fitted (and a nice job they have done of it).

Came back and decided that the hall could do with redecorating (it's been on the cards for a while), then decided that rather than just a repaint I'd strip it back to plasterboard and completely redo it. 

If that wasn't enough while some new plaster work was drying I thought it would be a good idea to take advantage of the fact the lounge / dining room were still packed up and repaint these. Have just finished this (6hrs - not bad!!).

All this diy means the T-55 is still safely tucked away and will probably stay there until I'm finished.

Tomorrow - I get to play with my power sander!

All the best

Ben

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

enjoy,

and pls, do better then this guy... or the misses...

39017851_1841059735940477_65937082074225

Haha - thats brilliant!

Be glad when it's all done now and I can get back to normality and not keep falling over boxes of things!!

• 4 weeks later...

I don't nearly navigate this site as well as I should, only just found your build, looks good, just one minor point, the snorkel (actually antenna holder) and the bar/bumper next to it, are East German additions and shouldn't really be there, other than that, impressive!

• Thanks 1