Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

2 hours ago, Old pro said:

I don't nearly navigate this site as well as I should, only just found your build, looks good, just one minor point, the snorkel (actually antenna holder) and the bar/bumper next to it, are East German additions and shouldn't really be there, other than that, impressive!

Many thanks for looking in and the feedback.

I'll remove those bits when I next pick this up. I wasn't sure they should be there but guessed it so happy to be corrected.

Really must get back to this

All the best

Ben

13 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

@Old pro Do you mean the two horizontal things in this image:

42578374285_56d4b5f74c_b.jpg&key=eda4cba

That's another one for my T-54/55 notes.  ;)

Yep exactly those bits😀 

although the placement looks a bit odd, I presume that it's the kit instructions at fault, as the antenna case should be behind the bar/bumperzHCrHsw.jpg

Edited by Old pro
New info
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, badger said:

Many thanks for looking in and the feedback.

I'll remove those bits when I next pick this up. I wasn't sure they should be there but guessed it so happy to be corrected.

Really must get back to this

All the best

Ben

No problems, if you need anything, I have a ton of spares!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/09/2018 at 12:08, Old pro said:

Yep exactly those bits😀 

although the placement looks a bit odd, I presume that it's the kit instructions at fault, as the antenna case should be behind the bar/bumperzHCrHsw.jpg

Many thanks - to be fair it could have been me as the instructions were a little vague here. No problem if they are to be removed though :like:

Well - whilst I have failed to pick this back up yet, I have at least solved the problem of what to do with the spare trumpeter lower hull, revell tracks and the small pile of spare parts as this arrived in the post in the week.

IMG_20180922_141116IMG_20180922_141125

This is the Modelltrans conversion to build a Czech Kladivo or Polish Merida. It replaces the entire upper hull, turret and gun barrel, essentially just using the lower hull and running gear from the trumpeter kit.

2018-09-22_02-23-51

A quick google picks up that these had the later tracks which is lucky as I used the earlier trumpeter ones, but have the later revell ones spare :giggle:

I'll be building it as the Kladivo as I like the more cluttered turret.

Does anyone have a photo of the rear of these as not sure wether it has the standard log or not. The modelltrans "instructions" are hopeless - 6 badly photocopied photos of a built model which don't show the lower hull at all.

I have the osprey Modelling the T-55 which I am using as reference along with several articles and walkrounds google threw up for me.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Well - as it's chucking it down here, I thought I'd have a quick try of the main components.

One thing lead to another and here's where we're now at

2018-09-22_04-06-51

Quite enjoyed it

All the best

Ben

• Like 5

So as it transpires the Modelltrans conversion is a bit of a mixed bag.

Whilst it is very nicely cast and requires little clean up it seems a bit confused about what it represents and the "instructions" are totally useless.

A couple of hours googling has got me to the point where I am pretty certain what the tank should look like.

However there are a few bits not in the conversion set that I really need. Chief amongst these are the belly armour and ammo box stowage.

I've contacted revell to see if I can buy the appropriate sprue from their T-55am2  kit as this has the bits I need.

In the meantime I'll continue with both of them, as hopefully revell won't take long to respond.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 1

Urrghh - I hate the first few weeks of a new academic year! New students, new germs, new illnesses!!

Have come down with a horrible head cold earlier in the week so much as I would like to crack on with the T-55s, I can't stop coughing and sneezing so modellings a no go until this eases a bit 🤧.

Catching up on some films with a lemsip and a box of tissues instead 😫

Hopefully normal service will resume shortly!

All the best

Ben

• Sad 3

Good news - there is progress of a kind.

I've popped out and resprayed the rear of the T-55 as it has been warm and sunny today. This has touched up where I removed the erroneous snorkel and guard.

On other news a box of bits for the Kladivo has arrived thanks to Old Pro.

This will allow me to add the missing bits and correct some issues with the modelltrans kit.

Many thanks for the help!!!

Feeling a bit better so will try and get back to this tonight.

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, badger said:

I've popped out and resprayed the rear of the T-55 as it has been warm and sunny today. 

The fresh air will do you good - not sure about the spray fumes though ;)

Glad to see things are moving again though - Lemsip is fantastic with a shot of whisky in it - a hot 'medicinal' toddy :lol:

Cheers - Steve

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

The fresh air will do you good - not sure about the spray fumes though ;)

Glad to see things are moving again though - Lemsip is fantastic with a shot of whisky in it - a hot 'medicinal' toddy :lol:

Cheers - Steve

Luckily I had a respirator mask on, although not pleasant when you start sneezing whilst wearing one 🤧!

Ooh - like the idea for the lemsip - shall try that next time.

All the best

Ben

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, badger said:

Luckily I had a respirator mask on, although not pleasant when you start sneezing whilst wearing one 🤧!

Ooh - like the idea for the lemsip - shall try that next time.

All the best

Ben

I was already laughing at the thought of what the neighbours might think about you wandering around the garden in a mask - then you mentioned sneezing and I LMFAO :lol: :lol: :lol:

Neighbours should be well used to it by now - I do it often enough when I'm spraying outside.

It's when you forget and open the door to the postie still wearing it!! 

All the best

Ben

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Glad things are looking up a bit Ben, the new T-55 is an interesting thing, a new one on me too.  :coolio:

Modelltrans always seem to provide about 3/4 of a conversion kit, I've built a couple and all of them required scratch built additions or spares from donor kits to finish the job.  :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

Cheers Sarge

This hasn't been forgotten, just put to one side for a little while whilst I work on the graveyard over in the diorama section.

The modeltrans set seemed an ideal solution to use up some spare parts and worked with the fact I have a set of the later tracks left over. Sadly it is a complete mishmash of bits and from the box doesn't build what it portrays to, as it doesn't include the belly armour, later tracks and many other essential bits.

Luckily BM has come to my rescue and I now have everything I need (and a bit more).

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

And this has been resurrected from the shelf of shame!

No idea why I stalled with the build but a year later I've spent a pleasant couple of hours today picking up where I left off.

The base has had some cobbles picked out in different shades, then a brown wash to tie everything together before adding a couple of Czech flags and some blood stained cloths (need a touch of matt varnish to tone down the shine). I'm planning on adding a bicycle and a few figures to it.

20191030_223120 20191030_223132 20191030_223150

I've then painted all the base edges black ready for a gloss varnish.

20191030_223105

Next up I painted the tyres on the tank and started to work on the tracks. These are now drying to be fitted tomorrow.

I've also found a crew figure and chopped him about a bit until he fits in the hatch.

More soon (or at least sooner than a year!!)

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 5

Small update

Dark wash applied to the tank to begin the weathering, which this time will be fairly minimal.

20191031_174308

Also fitted the tracks which was a pain as the first time I tried it all the paint cracked and fell off. Never had this before, even with vinyl tracks.

I cleaned them off and repainted with a brush, rather than using my usual aerosol and this seems to have worked. I struggled to get the tracks to stick together and had to resort to using Unibond Extreme Repair power glue which worked well. I still need to add the sag.

20191031_174255

More soon

All the best 

Ben 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

Very nice Ben

Thanks Steve

I'm plodding along with this. Still struggling a bit with motivation but determined to not start any new projects until I've cleared a few off the shelf of shame

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

7 hours ago, badger said:

I'm plodding along with this. Still struggling a bit with motivation but determined to not start any new projects until I've cleared a few off the shelf of shame

Oh. the temptation. Know just what you mean. But stay with it as it's turning out well.

John.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Oh. the temptation. Know just what you mean. But stay with it as it's turning out well.

John.

Cheers John - was very tempted to do other things tonight but did manage to stick the tracks to the tops of the road wheels to add the sag.

Mrs Badger did remark that it looks like it should have cheese and pineapple on it now :cwl:

2019-11-01_10-28-46

Once these are dry I can start the detail painting.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Hewy said:

Very nice job  ben

Cheers Hewy

Still struggling with motivation but slowly and surely this is coming together.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1