Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

3 minutes ago, badger said:

I've just picked up a Takom 1/72 Maz transporter and T-54b for an exceptionally reasonable price off ebay so that will make tank 17!!

I'll probably go Soviet with this, although the Northern Alliance Star decals sheet is somewhat tempting.

@Ned - thats another giant box for my poor postman to wrestle to my door!

Nice one, the Takom T-54B is exactly the same as the Ammo kit, well apart from a bit of branding...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

I had thought that the "L7" gun on Indian T-55s was only ever a mocked up D-10T to change the silhouette and distinguish them from the Pakistani T-55s. But if they really did have L7 equipped T-55s that is interesting (and half way to a Tiran :))

Originally it was but there was an upgrade program called Project Gulmohar in the late 80s that overhauled the Indian fleet and replaced the guns with 105mm L7s.

There doesn't appear to be huge amounts of photos of Indian T-55s in general but I've found enough to have a go at one. The three colour cammo and cut down fuel drums decided it for me. Hardest part will be scratch building the mount for the FN machine gun.

5 minutes ago, badger said:

Originally it was but there was an upgrade program called Project Gulmohar in the late 80s that overhauled the Indian fleet and replaced the guns with 105mm L7s.

There doesn't appear to be huge amounts of photos of Indian T-55s in general but I've found enough to have a go at one. The three colour cammo and cut down fuel drums decided it for me. Hardest part will be scratch building the mount for the FN machine gun.

OK how about this. Now this looks cool.

t-55-upgradation-image01.jpg

more info

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/india/t-55.htm

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

more info

Very much so but it seems it was never proceeded with. Almost looks like a Leopard 2 style turret

8 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I had thought that the "L7" gun on Indian T-55s was only ever a mocked up D-10T to change the silhouette and distinguish them from the Pakistani T-55s. But if they really did have L7 equipped T-55s that is interesting (and half way to a Tiran :))

Initially when they were purchased, they used the D10-T and a dummy fume extractor was put for differentiation purposes (see the T-54 picture posted by me).

Subsequent to the wars, we also looked at our Vijayant tanks (Vickers Mk. 1 locally produced) and the Centurions we had been using and given that the tank crews like the L7 gun a lot more than the D-10T (was mainly because the FCS was more primitive etc etc.) and it made sense logistically to have all the tanks firing a common ammunition, the transition was made to L7s on the T-55s.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, sardaukar said:

more info

This is another one of the 'strange bedfellows' machines produced by our ordnance factories and only existent on paper. This is the initial MBT EX idea (mating the turret of the Arjun (inspired from the Leo) to an existing chassis) Bad idea and didn't work.

They tried again by putting the turret on a T-72 lower hull, but the turret being so outsize led to stability issues when traversed either side, therefore again only a prototype.

Picture below:

a1ed0ec8-9896-4ee3-a06a-e9f0c92f658b.jpe

• Like 3

On 28/09/2021 at 07:04, badger said:

Good tip - thanks

Just waiting to hear back from offset. I'll give it a few more days and if not I'll have a go at making my own again.

I did pick up the Paracel figures. Can't recommend though as the casting is really poor and the figure for the commanders hatch is just a cut down version of the standing one and doesn't fit in the hatch at all. 

Hello all 🥳

Follow with interest your posts about the T55 and have also read the opinion about Paracel figures.
I ordered one for my current project, which arrived today.
I did not want to withhold the result from you and have attached a few pictures for those who are interested.

MD

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Have seen better cast figures-light years away from alpine, but usable.

spacer.png

the edgy face is ok

spacer.png

spacer.png

the arms are ok, but the hands are junk 🙈

for 17€ no comparison to the Panzerart quality, but unfortunately there are not so many suppliers of Asian tank crews.

Cheers!

• Like 3

On 11/10/2021 at 15:31, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hello all 🥳

Follow with interest your posts about the T55 and have also read the opinion about Paracel figures.
I ordered one for my current project, which arrived today.
I did not want to withhold the result from you and have attached a few pictures for those who are interested.

MD

Thanks for sharing - does look a bit rough and ready but I imagine with some care it would clean up ok.

My biggest complaint with the set I purchased is that the commander figure is different than the one on the box art and won't actually fit. He is a simply a cut down version of the standing figure which is a real shame.

On the other hand the stowage is pretty good.

I've been a bit sporadic posting on this thread as life has got in the way the last few weeks, what with work, ofsted and to top it all I caught Covid which wiped me out for a couple of weeks.

Whilst not entirely back to normal I am feeling much better and can now venture out and about again which is a relief.

I've managed to get some time on the NVA T-54 this afternoon and have almost finished the build. I need to finish off the tow cables, add  the headlight cage and the fuel lines and its about done.

The figures are progressing but need a lot of cleaning up.

20211016_181417 20211016_181406

Be good to get this one finished off as I've  added another Trumpeter T-55 to the build plan which will be finished as a Yugoslav Army T-55A with BTU-5 dozer using the Star decals sheet for Cold War T-55s. 

• Like 7

• badger changed the title to Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 17 other friends

And the NVA T-54B is built and ready for paint.

The headlight guard was an absolute bear to fold and fit as I found the supplied jig almost useless. Luckily I wanted a battered appearance so the fact its a bit warped adds to the overall effect.

Fuel lines are added using 0.3mm copper wire which worked much better than my previous rod.

I replaced the kit tow cables with some I made myself as I found the supplied ones a bit too thick.

2021-10-16_09-39-36

More soon

Ben

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Courageous said:

Glad to hear that you're on the mend Ben.

Looking rather nice that before the paint goes on.

Stuart

5 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

That's looking first class Ben. And fuel lines too! Very impressive.

John.

Thanks Chaps.

Managed to pop out and get some primer sprayed earlier and have just got the green on.

Cheated a bit and used a Tamiya rattle can of JSDF green as a nice base.

More soon

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Hello

T-54B is looking good, I see you have gone for no mudguards at all. Are you basing it on a specific photo?

Cant wait to see it with some paint.

Cheers

Many thanks.

Yep - I'm modelling the famous NVA 843 from the fall of Saigon. It won't be an exact replica but will give a representation.

https://images.app.goo.gl/3HXMEUpaCsg9aVaaA

The NVA tanks were seriously battered with most missing mudguards and some with damage to engine decks etc. I've also removed the IR lights but left the fittings in place as per my photo.

2021-10-17_09-51-28

I knocked off a turret grab rail when putting the decals on so need to reattach that.

The decals were surprisingly hard work to get to go on, and are very thick and gloss in finish. I suspect they may have silvered slightly but I'll give them some more microsol tomorrow and a coat of matt varnish.

Weathering will be pretty extensive anyway so they'll get blended in a fair bit. I always add my decals before any washes, filters, pastels etc so they are subject to the same weathering as the paint work.

Nothing worse than a filthy tank with nice clean markings in my opinion.

More soon

Ben

• Like 5

On 16/10/2021 at 19:26, badger said:

Thanks for sharing - does look a bit rough and ready but I imagine with some care it would clean up ok.

My biggest complaint with the set I purchased is that the commander figure is different than the one on the box art and won't actually fit. He is a simply a cut down version of the standing figure which is a real shame.

On the other hand the stowage is pretty good.

I've been a bit sporadic posting on this thread as life has got in the way the last few weeks, what with work, ofsted and to top it all I caught Covid which wiped me out for a couple of weeks.

Whilst not entirely back to normal I am feeling much better and can now venture out and about again which is a relief.

I've managed to get some time on the NVA T-54 this afternoon and have almost finished the build. I need to finish off the tow cables, add  the headlight cage and the fuel lines and its about done.

The figures are progressing but need a lot of cleaning up.

20211016_181417 20211016_181406

Be good to get this one finished off as I've  added another Trumpeter T-55 to the build plan which will be finished as a Yugoslav Army T-55A with BTU-5 dozer using the Star decals sheet for Cold War T-55s. 

Hello Ben

Good to read that you are feeling better again 👍
Health is the most important thing and I'm sure our hobby will help you to recharge your batteries and get your mind off things.
All the best!

BTW: your build and also the stowage looks very good up to here.

MD

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, THEscaleSHOW said:

Hello Ben

Good to read that you are feeling better again 👍
Health is the most important thing and I'm sure our hobby will help you to recharge your batteries and get your mind off things.
All the best!

BTW: your build and also the stowage looks very good up to here.

MD

13 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Looking very nice Ben. 

Great work.

13 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

It's coming to life now Ben and really looking the part. Nice work.

John.

Many thanks for looking in everyone and for the kind comments. Very much appreciated.

All the best

Ben

• 4 months later...

Not a lot to update as have been busy with other things the last couple of months.

Have added another T-55 build in the form of a Northern Alliance T-55 using a Revell kit I got cheap along with some Star decals and a few other bits and pieces.

Just had the A&A S-125M Neva arrive through the post which I picked up off ebay for about half it's retail price. This looks much better than I was expecting (and far better than the box art!).

2022-02-24_03-07-15

Planning an additional T-54 as have a second Blackdog conversion in the post from Tracks and Troops (I ordered it over 12 months ago along with some other bits and pieces). After some pondering this will be a Soviet tank from the Prague Spring in 1968, chosen as some of them were spotted with a mix of older spider and newer starfish wheels.

More at some point

Ben

• Like 2

• badger changed the title to Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends
On 24/02/2022 at 15:18, badger said:

Just had the A&A S-125M Neva arrive through the post which I picked up off ebay for about half it's retail price. This looks much better than I was expecting (and far better than the box art!).

Nice, is the hull the PST kit?

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Nice, is the hull the PST kit?

I don't think so. The running gear is definitely not and the sprues dont seem the same so I would guess its a new mould.

Its a bit similar to the newer ACE kits (such as their Centurion). 

I'll post some sprue shots when I get chance

1 hour ago, badger said:

I don't think so. The running gear is definitely not and the sprues dont seem the same so I would guess its a new mould.

Its a bit similar to the newer ACE kits (such as their Centurion). 

I'll post some sprue shots when I get chance

I have the PST version which unfortunately comes with the normal T54/55 PST hull and running gear :doh: wasnt cheap either. Online images of the real thing would take a bit of scratch building of parts for the PST version at least.

• Like 1

I was prepared to cross kit it with a Revell hull and running gear, as I got it cheap enough to do this, but to be honest the kit doesn't seem like it needs it.

I haven't done much research on the real thing yet as tied up with a few other builds first.

• Like 1