Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

Good tip on Revell I do see they have a spare parts ordering service. I have a small stash of aftermarket resin wheels from various manufacturers and as I have found recently cleaning up the resin wheels is almost as bad as cleaning up the trumpeter wheels and the revell wheels are about as good as you can get, its a shame they dont do OMsh tracks to go with them.

Its funny I've caught the T-55 bug recently and they seem to breed when the lights are off. Maybe we should call this the 'Trouble with Tribbles T-55s', haha.

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Good tip on Revell I do see they have a spare parts ordering service. I have a small stash of aftermarket resin wheels from various manufacturers and as I have found recently cleaning up the resin wheels is almost as bad as cleaning up the trumpeter wheels and the revell wheels are about as good as you can get, its a shame they dont do OMsh tracks to go with them.

Its funny I've caught the T-55 bug recently and they seem to breed when the lights are off. Maybe we should call this the 'Trouble with Tribbles T-55s', haha.

I had the same thoughts about the Revell wheels as I have some pretty poor aftermarket ones. I figured that if costs were about the same then I'd prefer the plastic ones.

As it turned out they were free, so even better!!

Pity about the tracks, as again, that could have been useful. The Model Miniature ones I used were poor and I'm regretting sticking with them a bit as the casting left a lot to be desired.

The breeding after dark theory would explain why my stash has increased in the last week. I've been careful not to get them wet or feed them after midnight but they still seem to have expanded. 

Maybe I should separate them all to prevent breeding 🤣

More soon

Ben

• Haha 3

The Trumpeter kit with dozer blade and croatian decals have both arrived today so currently using the miniart instructions to figure out what I need to change on it.

Looks like I may have everything I need from my increasing spares pile!!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Silenoz said:

no stupid ideas....

8bizr4fjuro31.jpg

T-55 with M-18 Hellcat cupolla...

Its a genius idea and I did actually spend some time working out if I had the bits to build it using an armourfast M18 turret :fraidnot:

Luckily / Sadly (delete as appropriate) I don't have a spare lower hull and tracks so for now I'll pass.

Who knows what the future holds (especially if I come across any more cheap T-55 kits!!) :whistle:

Cool photo though - thanks for sharing

Its been rather a rough week at work so sadly I haven't made any progress. However its the weekend so hopefully I'll get some time on these later.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Little progress recently as work is still crazy busy.

However I have discovered that, somehow, a Miniart 1/35 T-54b has crept into my ebay basket and been paid for. I wonder how that happened?

To be fair it was only £24 including postage from Creative Models.

More ............ some time.............. hopefully soon!!

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, badger said:

However I have discovered that, somehow, a Miniart 1/35 T-54b has crept into my ebay basket and been paid for. I wonder how that happened?

Gremlins

14 minutes ago, badger said:

To be fair it was only £24 including postage from Creative Models.

My Ebay alerts are for 1/72 only anything else would be too dangerous.

• Haha 1

On 23/09/2021 at 22:24, sardaukar said:

Gremlins

My Ebay alerts are for 1/72 only anything else would be too dangerous.

I think it must be Gremlins!! For that price I'm well chuffed with it - nearly as cheap as a 1/72 one and many, many more parts!!

Actual, real progress tonight!

Despite finding out late Friday that we have Ofsted in work this next week :facepalm:, I've managed to grab an hour tonight and have all but finished building the Ammo T-54B (which is to be an NVA tank from the fall of Saigon).

I attached a myriad of tiny little bits, including various marker lights. The only piece I didn't like was the headlight guard as it just didn't look right being folded up from etch.

I've found a chap who runs a company called offset scale models who offer 3d printed headlight guards so have enquired about placing an order.

Until I hear back I'll leave it off. The only other pieces still to add are the tow cables which I've made up and are drying as I type this. I replaced the supplied metal cable with a slightly thinner one I made myself as I preferred the look.

I've cut away the mudguards, dinged the fenders and left off the infrared lights as per a photo I'm working from. I have a resin crew to finish cleaning up at some point.

2021-09-26_09-49-16

More soon (hopefully)

Ben

• Like 7

23 hours ago, badger said:

I think it must be Gremlins!! For that price I'm well chuffed with it - nearly as cheap as a 1/72 one and many, many more parts!!

Actual, real progress tonight!

Despite finding out late Friday that we have Ofsted in work this next week :facepalm:, I've managed to grab an hour tonight and have all but finished building the Ammo T-54B (which is to be an NVA tank from the fall of Saigon).

I attached a myriad of tiny little bits, including various marker lights. The only piece I didn't like was the headlight guard as it just didn't look right being folded up from etch.

I've found a chap who runs a company called offset scale models who offer 3d printed headlight guards so have enquired about placing an order.

Until I hear back I'll leave it off. The only other pieces still to add are the tow cables which I've made up and are drying as I type this. I replaced the supplied metal cable with a slightly thinner one I made myself as I preferred the look.

I've cut away the mudguards, dinged the fenders and left off the infrared lights as per a photo I'm working from. I have a resin crew to finish cleaning up at some point.

2021-09-26_09-49-16

More soon (hopefully)

Ben

Nice work, I think I gave up on the two front marker lights. I like the idea of a dinged up one too, as its just smashed through the presidential place gate.

The offset headlight guards are extremely fine, getting them off the supports and cleaning up any nubs left from the supports while leaving them in one piece is a challenge.

Did you get the Paracel figures?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silenoz said:

You can just add some paint or solder to it before or after bending to give it a tad more body...

Good tip - thanks

8 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Nice work, I think I gave up on the two front marker lights. I like the idea of a dinged up one too, as its just smashed through the presidential place gate.

The offset headlight guards are extremely fine, getting them off the supports and cleaning up any nubs left from the supports while leaving them in one piece is a challenge.

Did you get the Paracel figures?

Just waiting to hear back from offset. I'll give it a few more days and if not I'll have a go at making my own again.

I did pick up the Paracel figures. Can't recommend though as the casting is really poor and the figure for the commanders hatch is just a cut down version of the standing one and doesn't fit in the hatch at all. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, badger said:

I did pick up the Paracel figures. Can't recommend though as the casting is really poor and the figure for the commanders hatch is just a cut down version of the standing one and doesn't fit in the hatch at all. 

Good to know, just checking their website and they did a second take on an NVA tank crew which looks like it might be better, although might be tricky to get your hands on them.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Courageous said:

Hi Ben, just caught up on this epic thread. Love what you're doing and they will look great when all together. Keep up the good work, gives me a little kick to get me back to my AFV's

Stuart

Thanks Stuart - much appreciated :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Good to know, just checking their website and they did a second take on an NVA tank crew which looks like it might be better, although might be tricky to get your hands on them.

I got mine from BNA modelworld in Australia as part of larger order. Good spot on the second set - look much more useable.

Still not heard back from Offset - will try again later in the week once work calms down a bit.

More soon

Ben

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just went through the whole thread Badger. Excellent work mate.

Might I suggest an Indian T-55 with the Royal Ordnance L7.... Plus we didn't put DShKs on them, but rather FN MAGs

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Vaastav said:

Just went through the whole thread Badger. Excellent work mate.

Might I suggest an Indian T-55 with the Royal Ordnance L7.... Plus we didn't put DShKs on them, but rather FN MAGs

Hi @Vaastav

Thanks for looking in.

Not had much chance to progress these recently as work has been manic but will get back to them soon I hope.

An Indian one sounds interesting. A quick Google doesn't seem to find much in the way of photos though.

If you have any reference I'd be happy to add one to the list (I have a spare 105mm barrel and plenty of FN mags) - there's a couple of images showing one in a 3 tone colour scheme which looks very nice.

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, badger said:

Hi @Vaastav

Thanks for looking in.

Not had much chance to progress these recently as work has been manic but will get back to them soon I hope.

An Indian one sounds interesting. A quick Google doesn't seem to find much in the way of photos though.

If you have any reference I'd be happy to add one to the list (I have a spare 105mm barrel and plenty of FN mags) - there's a couple of images showing one in a 3 tone colour scheme which looks very nice.

Kind regards

Ben

Hi Ben.

I do have some reference photos handy which I attach below.

a089f689-c902-47f3-9e7c-8079f3b70fdb.jpe

A clear picture of the L7 and FN MAG.

b342ed27-36b0-43c5-aad4-442a1b37c42c.jpe

A busy vehicle.

eaa7d574-efd2-474d-a1cf-93beda4a370d.jpe

A picture of one on exercise way back when.

I will look in my collection for more if you are interested.

Also, as an interesting aside, here is a picture of one of the few T-54s we used (they were used to fill up shortfalls in the T-55 order) and it has the original 100mm gun, but with a dummy fume extractor to aid identification as the Pakistanis were using Type 59s and our crews found the differentiation at a glance to be indistinct. The machine gun is a Browning M1919 as we had a whole lot left over from various things.

4517d15d-e151-456f-8db7-04f071fd9e7d.jpe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Vaastav said:

Hi Ben.

I do have some reference photos handy which I attach below.

Many thanks for these. I've found a few more as well.

Really like the second one with the three colour camouflage and the cut down fuel drums. I've found a couple more photos of similar tanks so think I have enough to work from. There seems to be a variety of different models in service from the photos I have seen.

Thanks again

Ben

2 hours ago, badger said:

Many thanks for these. I've found a few more as well.

Really like the second one with the three colour camouflage and the cut down fuel drums. I've found a couple more photos of similar tanks so think I have enough to work from. There seems to be a variety of different models in service from the photos I have seen.

Thanks again

Ben

They are all basically T-55s but the units all add their own touches and odds and ends.

I look forward to seeing your rendition. Should you be in requirement of any further tips, photos etc. please do ask.

• Like 1

I do most of my thread reading in bed on my mobile, so don't often comment as I can't be bothered to type. This morning I said to myself "must say something" so here I am.

I don't know anything about these tanks, but I love this thread. You must have a traffic jam of UPS / Post Office / FedEx vans on your street every day. Do your neighbours ever give you funny looks? 😀

Have you thought of trying 3D printing for the bits that always seem to need replacing (eg wheels). I'd love to have a dabble, but I don't really have anything that I'd need to print in any quantity with my limited output.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ned said:

I don't know anything about these tanks, but I love this thread. You must have a traffic jam of UPS / Post Office / FedEx vans on your street every day. Do your neighbours ever give you funny looks? 😀

Have you thought of trying 3D printing for the bits that always seem to need replacing (eg wheels). I'd love to have a dabble, but I don't really have anything that I'd need to print in any quantity with my limited output.

Thanks for looking in and following along. I think I am single handedly keeping my postman in a job!!

I had promised myself I wouldn't add any more variants to the build list but the Indian one is just too cool as it has to be done.

I'd love to be able to 3d print stuff but I don't have either the skills or the equipment to do so. It would make some of builds easier / cheaper but I do love crosskitting different kits to get the version I want so would miss this aspect.

Hopefully more soon

Ben

• Like 3

And the Trumpeter kit for the Indian 105mm version turned up today.

Got to love Creative Models - less than 24 hours from ordering to having it on my doorstep!!

• Like 4

• badger changed the title to Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 15 other friends

I've just picked up a Takom 1/72 Maz transporter and T-54b for an exceptionally reasonable price off ebay so that will make tank 17!!

I'll probably go Soviet with this, although the Northern Alliance Star decals sheet is somewhat tempting.

@Ned - thats another giant box for my poor postman to wrestle to my door!

• Like 2

I had thought that the "L7" gun on Indian T-55s was only ever a mocked up D-10T to change the silhouette and distinguish them from the Pakistani T-55s. But if they really did have L7 equipped T-55s that is interesting (and half way to a Tiran :))

• Like 1