Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

Work progresses.

I've started the T-55 Enigma and built up the hull and cleaned up the Blackdog turret, fitting my usual RB metal barrel (these seem to be out of production at the moment which is intensely annoying as I need a couple more!).

I've also progressed the Ammo T-54 by finishing off the running gear, fitting an RB barrel and starting the stowage boxes.

Annoyingly I've just found out my carefully grated engine deck on my Trumpeter T-54 is the later T-55 style so will need correcting.

Finally I've acquired two more Trumpeter kits from a friend.  In order to avoid losing track I'm building so far:

T-54

Trumpeter / Black Dog T-54 Model 1951: Almost finished, engine deck needs correcting, fuel lines on external tanks, main barrel needs reattaching. To be built as Soviet tank.

Ammo T-54B: Hull and turret built, adding small details. To be built as NVA tank in Saigon.

Trumpeter T-54: Just acquired. To be built as an IDF Tiran with 105mm gun using Blackdog conversion (would rather use an Ammo kit but this was free!). Possibly convert to Tiran 5 as the hull is the same in both the Trumpeter T-54 and T-55 kits.

T-55

Trumpeter T-55 Model 1958: Original build in this thread. Built, painted, decaled. Just need to finish off the base and figures and weather the tank. Built as Soviet tank in Prague uprising

Revell T-55AM with KMT-6 mine plow: Built and painted in base colour. To be built as East German tank.

Modeltrans / Trumpeter / Revell T-55AM2B Kladivo: Built and primed. To be built as Czech tank.

Trumpeter / Revell T-55A Model 1965: Hull built, turret conversion under way. To be built as a Soviet tank.

Trumpeter / Black Dog T-55 Enigma: Hull built, turret fitted. To be built as an Iraqi tank.

Trumpeter T-55 with KMT-5 mine rollers: Just acquired. To be built as a Finnish tank.

Told you all I need help!!

Ben

• Like 3

Progress!

The Trumpeter / Blackdog T-54 has had the engine deck modified (again!!) to the earlier version, correct for the model I'm making.

This involved gently scraping away the central bar on the large vent using an old scalpel blade in my knife. Once smooth the mesh detail was reinstated using some tulle material from confetti bag left over from a wedding I once went to.

This is extremely fine and I hope will be a reasonable match to the mesh Revell moulded in the smaller vents.

I used some formula 560 canopy glue to attach it and am rather pleased with the result.

It is the one on the left with the Ammo kit with later deck on the right.

2021-07-13_09-11-53

Sadly I did manage to knock off the turret machine gun again so will leave this off whilst I wire up the fuel tanks and attach the remaining smoke cannister.

More soon

Ben

• Like 6

Wheely good fun!! Have now cleaned up and attached all remaining road wheels across the 4 builds.

That's an hour I'll never get back!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silenoz said:

enjoy...

You said you needed help? Finding other versions/conversions?

Otherwise, you have the Polish Newa SC from A&A 😉

Thanks for that - its an impressive vehicle for sure.

Maybe one day

"Whilst the Revell T-55 has some fairly major shape issues with the turret, it is well detailed and provides optional parts to build a number of production variants"

Hi Badger, I have been watching/ reading your post with great interest because I have in my stock the Revell T-55A/AM and I must say I was disappointed with the above comment. I was hoping to finish it as an OOB build but now it seems that I truly need to also buy the Trumpeter kit.

Anyhow, looking forward for the next steps of your builds. Keep up the good work!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Hi Bill

Thanks for looking in.

This thread that appeared a while back adds a bit more light to it:

If you are not overly bothered than the Revell one does build up nicely. I wouldn't necessarily bother buying the Trumpeter kit for the turret as it's a very early version and would need a fair bit of work to build it as the later version in the Revell kit (I'm currently doing it on one of my builds!).

As a quick summary (and apologies if you know this), the Revell kit builds a Czech or possibly Polish built tank not a Russian one. It has the later style tracks and sprocket and out of the box represents an East German tank.

The Trumpeter one has a whole bag of issues and builds an early Russian built one. This review sums up the main problems:

https://www.onthewaymodels.com/reviews/Trumpeter/T-54_T-55prev.htm

By cross kitting the two you can build a respectable replica but it is a total minefield navigating the different versions. I have downloaded the various Miniart 1/35 instructions from scalemates as a helpful guide.

The original subject of this build was lots of fun and has indirectly lead down a deep rabbit hole as I've amassed a collection of kits, parts and accessories allowing me to build some of the more exotic variants.

Hope this helps

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

@Shalako

This might solve your problems (I am almost certain it is mastered off the Trumpeter kit)

http://www.modelltrans.com/conversions/249-t-55a-with-radiation-protection-armor.html

Same manufacturer also does an early version without the radiation armour (as per the Trumpeter kit)

http://www.modelltrans.com/conversions/247-t-55-turret-3-variants.html

I've ordered direct from him before with no issues.

Kind regards

Ben

12 hours ago, badger said:

As a quick summary (and apologies if you know this), the Revell kit builds a Czech or possibly Polish built tank not a Russian one. It has the later style tracks and sprocket and out of the box represents an East German tank.

Kind regards

Ben

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the clarification mate. After reading this, I'll stick to my kit and decide if I am going to build the Czech or the Polish version.

Overall, it is a beautiful kit.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Hi Ben,

Many thanks for the clarification mate. After reading this, I'll stick to my kit and decide if I am going to build the Czech or the Polish version.

Overall, it is a beautiful kit.

Cheers,

Bill

Hi Bill

No problem. I would advise finding a photo (there's plenty of walkarounds on the internet) of one from the country you want to build and then follow that as some of the Revell kits fittings are specific to German tanks but can be left off for other versions.

All the best

Ben

Progress!!

I've taken advantage of the nice weather today to sit outside and sand the Blackdog resin bits for the Enigma. Its taken a bit of trial and error to get them to fit, but I'm happy with it so far.

20210716_215058

I downloaded and printed the Tamiya 1/35 instructions which have really helped.

I've also carved off the molded on loaders hatch and replaced this with one cut from a spare T-54 turret as the Blackdog turret does not have the machine gun cupola and most photos of Enigmas show this as being fitted. Although a proper faff, I'm pleased with the result.

20210716_215045

Finally a family group photo!

20210716_215114

More soon

Ben

• Like 6

There's a Blackdog Tiran conversion in the post from the Czech Republic and a 105mm gun barrel coming from the Ukraine.

Just need to collect the next two kits from my mate (hopefully next weekend). 

I am also trying to order some barrels from Zedval but having a few issues.

More soon 

Ben

• Like 1

More progress on the Enigma tonight.

The loaders hatch has been attached along with the main body of the machine gun. I have also managed to attach the other piece of turret armour. Neither of these were a good fit and took a while to line up.

2021-07-17_10-36-18

I have also modified the rear grille by adding a spare cover from the Revell kit to bring it in line with the photos I have seen and the Tamiya instructions.

I'll make a start on cleaning up the side armour tomorrow and the counterweight for the turret rear.

Ben

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

They're looking good Ben. I'll be interested to see how you get on with the Tiran.

John.

Thanks John.

It was the offer of a couple of extra kits from a mate that got me looking for something different to do with them and I remembered the Blackdog conversion set.

I also fancied one of the 105mm Tirans, so have ordered a metal barrel as the conversion uses the kit barrel.

Now to get my head around Tirans!! I was hoping to be able to build a late Tiran 4 with split grilles on the engine deck and a 105mm gun. If not I'll build it as a Tiran 5 instead.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

Having just checked the Blackdog order tracking, it has arrived in the UK (via Cologne in Germany) and is currently at Stanstead due to be delivered on Thursday

• Like 1

2 hours ago, badger said:

Now to get my head around Tirans!! I was hoping to be able to build a late Tiran 4 with split grilles on the engine deck and a 105mm gun. If not I'll build it as a Tiran 5 instead.

You could always do a Tiran 4 with the split grills and the 100mm gun, and then save the metal 105mm for a Tiran 5. If you need any photos /profiles or drawings, let me know.

John.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

You could always do a Tiran 4 with the split grills and the 100mm gun, and then save the metal 105mm for a Tiran 5. If you need any photos /profiles or drawings, let me know.

John.

Hi John

Thanks for looking in.

I was hoping to be able to make one of these, or is this a figment of Miniarts imagination?

https://miniart-models.com/products/37013-tiran-4-sharir-late-type-interior-kit/

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 1

23 hours ago, badger said:

There's a Blackdog Tiran conversion in the post from the Czech Republic and a 105mm gun barrel coming from the Ukraine.

Just need to collect the next two kits from my mate (hopefully next weekend). 

I am also trying to order some barrels from Zedval but having a few issues.

More soon 

Ben

Interesting thread, I have acquired a lot of 3rd party bits for t-54/55 conversions, Tiran's, the enigma etc. Lots of planning and buying but not much building. Plus a bunch of 1/72 kits.

Have you tried any of the model-miniature stuff, they have some interesting Tiran conversions.

I ordered direct from Zedval recently to get some gun barrels, it worked out good in the end, I'm not sure Google translate, deals with the order status properly, it was always translating the order as cancelled, but the stuff did turn up a few weeks later although they didn't respond to email enquires.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, badger said:

I was hoping to be able to make one of these, or is this a figment of Miniarts imagination?

https://miniart-models.com/products/37013-tiran-4-sharir-late-type-interior-kit/

No, it's kosher, but I assume that you won't be trying to replicate the interior.

John.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, sardaukar said:

Interesting thread, I have acquired a lot of 3rd party bits for t-54/55 conversions, Tiran's, the enigma etc.

Many thanks for looking in. This has all been a few years in the planning/buying and is still evolving.

Along the way I have discarded a PST T-55 (very basic and horrible wheels) , Ace Enigma (some issues with wheel spacing and usual Ace limited run quality) and Armo resin T-55 (overscale and some serious hull dimension issues along with unusable running gear).

I have seen the Model Minature sets - I have a couple of their kits in the stash and could be tempted with a Tiran 5 dozer (as an SLA blue one) if another Revell or Trumpeter kit lands at the badger lair.

The issue with Zedval is a paypal one at their end. I had contact from the owner to say he could still put the order through, but I'm waiting for him to send me payment details. Nothing critical as I managed to get a Dymok72 105mm barrel which is hopefully on the way.

37 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

No, it's kosher, but I assume that you won't be trying to replicate the interior.

John.

Thanks John. In part the desire to do a 105mm one is the total lack of replacement D-10t metal barrels at present. I have used all my stock up and can't find either an RB or Aber one anywhere. I could, of course, use the kit one but I really dislike trying to clean up plastic barrels as I never seem to be able to keep them round.

Besides I really like the paint scheme on the inside cover of the instructions with the red section on the fender.

Sadly I won't be doing the interior. Life is too short!!

More soon 

Ben

• Like 2

1 hour ago, badger said:

Along the way I have discarded a PST T-55 (very basic and horrible wheels) , Ace Enigma (some issues with wheel spacing and usual Ace limited run quality) and Armo resin T-55 (overscale and some serious hull dimension issues along with unusable running gear).

I think I need a spreadsheet for the pros and cons of each kit.

PST seemed interesting because it gives you both turrets and engine decks for T54 & T-55 I believe, but why deal with the wheels if you can just buy a better kit. I know the italeri kit has faults but Jadlam are selling them for 9.95 which includes postage. The ace kits go for crazy money on Ebay I lost out recently on an ace Enigma but maybe no bad thing, I did pick up an ace type 59, although if its anything like trumpeter the 54 and 59 kits were exactly the same. The Revell kits can usually be found on amazon at a reasonable price as long as you have Prime. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I think I need a spreadsheet for the pros and cons of each kit.

Could be a very useful idea.

I used the ontheway comparison I posted earlier but it doesn't cover the Revell or Italeri kits.

I had really high hopes for the Italeri kit but the photos have seen have been pretty discouraging to the point I've stayed clear.

PST was pretty poor and would need new wheels at the absolute minimum and probably tracks and a barrel as well.

The Ace kit is typical early Ace with all that entails but I have seen it built up nicely. Mine was pretty rough with a lot of flash and soft moldings. I managed to get the Blackdog Enigma cheap so went with that instead.

Detail wise Revell win hands down, the running gear is lovely. There are some other anomalies but the one I can't live with is the turret shape. The Trumpeter kit is very basic, has a few issues itself (the tyres are horrible) and is missing most of the stowage and equipment. 

Cross kitting the two does lead to a reasonable result though. Thanks for the heads up on the Type 59 - I had been keeping an eye out for one but good to know I can always get another T-54 instead. I presume there will be some modifying / detailing needed anyway.

Kind regards

Ben

• Like 2

I've succumbed to temptation and ordered an Italeri kit from Jadlam for £9.95 posted thanks to @sardaukar.

At first glance this builds a Soviet production T-55A upgraded with a loaders hatch mounted machine gun (model 1970 according to Miniart).

It has the early Omsh tracks so a bit of an anomaly - however this appears to be correct for the Romanian option at least so I may just build it as that.

I'll reserve judgement on the kit until it arrives but I was put off initially by some poor reviews and photos. I have a set of resin Omsh tracks from Model Minature (look like resin casts of the Trumpeter ones), and a spare set of Trumpeter wheels if worst comes to the worst.

I've even managed to locate a metal barrel on ebay for a reasonable price so that was promptly ordered.

This is getting out of hand!!!

Ben

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

48 minutes ago, badger said:

I've succumbed to temptation and ordered an Italeri kit from Jadlam for £9.95 posted thanks to @sardaukar.

Oh no what have I done 😮  . I read mixed reviews too, tracks a low point it seems, however it does come with an engine and at a tenner I couldn't argue.  Well at least it is better than the horrible italeri t-62 kit, but that's a whole other rabbit hole.

• Haha 1