Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

Shiny bits have arrived in the post today :happy:

I've been wanting to add a bicycle to the base but the one I had wasn't very good. Managed to get these off ebay for the princely sum of 99p

2019-11-05_09-05-53

More soon

All the best 

Ben

Edited by badger
  • Like 2

Humm- frustrating to assemble to say the least!

I've managed one wheel, the frame and the front mudguard.

All I can say is that I wanted a "battered" look which is probably a good thing.

It's still an improvement on the one from the Airfix Bedford QLT which was my original idea.

• Haha 2

• 1 year later...

Holy thread resurrection!!

Whilst the Trumpeter T-55 still languishes safely in a box I have been working on the Kladivo the last week or so as I found it in the stash when I was tidying up.

No photos just yet as I'm at work but the wheels are now all done with the ridiculous mould lines Trumpeter added removed. I have also started sorting out exactly what I need to add / delete/ replace / improve from the Modelltrans set, Trumpeter left overs and huge pile of Revell spares.

This has been aided by this video discovered on youtube:

I have also been busy adding to the stash since I last updated this build: A Revell T-55 with mine plow has been built and is partly painted (did this straight out of the box), an Ammo T-54B is underway and a Trumpeter T-54B is being backdated with a Blackdog conversion and various spares to a T-54 (Model 1951). A further Revell T-55A/AM has just landed at the Badger lair courtesy of a last minute bargain on ebay.

I think I have a problem! 

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Ben, How does the Ammo T-54 compare with the Trumpeter kit. I know there is quite a price difference, but do you get more for your money?

John.

Hi John

Worlds apart - the Ammo kit is much more accurate and builds into a very nice model. The Trumpeter one is not fully a T-54 as it shares the hull with the T-55 kit, has roadwheels with horrible "moulding" lines and is missing a lot of the external stowage fit to build an accurate tank. 

For the extra £5 or so I'd buy the Ammo kit every time. The Trumpeter one is ok if you can get it really (really) cheap and are prepared to put some work in or have a big spares box.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, badger said:

Worlds apart

'Morning Ben,

Thanks for that. I've read a few reviews on the Ammo kit, and it's always been positive. I have an idea about converting one into a Tiran, along the same lines that I did with the 1/48th Tamiya T-55 kit.

John.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for that. I've read a few reviews on the Ammo kit, and it's always been positive. I have an idea about converting one into a Tiran, along the same lines that I did with the 1/48th Tamiya T-55 kit.

Hi John.

I think the Ammo kit would be the better starting point. It has the earlier smoke cannisters on the rear rather than the big fuel drums if that matters.

Blackdog do a Tiran conversion in 1/72 which may help - from what I can see its mostly a replacement turret. They seem to be a bit hard to get these days so I ordered my T-54 set direct and the service was really good (even sent me a free set of stowage!).

Would be really interested in following along if you decide to go for it.

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Thanks for the info Ben. I will follow up on it and when I finally get around to finishing my new room, I might just order the kit.

John.

I'll happily follow along if you do as I'm very partial to a T-54/55.

Photos!!

This is the Kladivo conversion. Not a lot more to add now, but has been a fair bit of work just to try and get it more like the real thing as a lot of the resin conversion is incorrect, missing or simply wrong. 

20210626_084237

A good example are the smoke dischargers - the Modeltrans ones are hugely overscale and the wrong shape. Luckily I had a spare set from the Revell kit which are much more accurate (the second row still need adding).

20210626_084253

This one is a Trumpeter T-54B being backdated to a T-54 (Model 1951 late), using the Blackdog set which provides a new turret and "spiderweb" roadwheels. I replaced the barrel with an RB one as the resin one was bent. 

20210626_084304

The loaders hatch was donated from a Revell kit as Blackdog don't include the mount for the machinegun and the actual gun will be an Amoury one I had in the stash.

20210626_084317

The engine deck has been cut out to replace with a Revell piece which is more accurate. Whilst the Revell T-55 has some fairly major shape issues with the turret, it is well detailed and provides optional parts to build a number of production variants. I have a couple of them, which have provided all kinds of useful spares to dress up the Trumpeter kits.

More soon

Ben

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Bullbasket said:

Some great work there Ben. One question. Are you going to attempt the fuel lines or are they too thin in this scale?

John.

Hi John.

Good question - I hadn't on previous builds but I might look into it on these - thinking some very thin lead wire might be the way to go

• Like 2

Well sadly things have gone a bit awry tonight as I've managed to take a decent chunk out of my finger when my coffee machine jug shattered whilst washing it.

Now not only can I not have fresh coffee in the morning I also can't carry on with the T-55s!!

Suppose I'll have to research the next project then.

More when I can

Ben

• Sad 2

OUCH!!!  Shattered glass - very dangerous stuff - my exploding glass table top the other month taught me that.

Get well soon mate :)

Steve

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the best wishes. Luckily on inspection its not as bad as I first thought and hopefully no permanent damage other than another manly scar! Its my little finger fortunately.

All being well I'll be back at the bench later.

Even better news, Mrs Badger was so distraught at the loss of the coffee machine she's gone to get a new one and has paid for it!

• Haha 2

Some progress tonight!!

The Kladivo got the first fuel drum attached and the laser sight on the turret roof which has had some filler applied to blend it to the mantlet cover. This will need tidying up when dry.

20210628_220735

More progress was made on the T-54. I shimmed the hole for the engine deck with some plastic strip which allowed me to insert the Revell deck neatly with no filling needed.

20210628_220725

I then tided up the filler on the rear plate and attached the turret permanently before starting to add the multi part aa machine gun.

20210628_220802

More soon

Ben

• Like 5

More progress tonight, although just on the Kladivo.

I started by removing the fuel drum and mounts as the Blackdog ones I had used put the drums in the wrong position so the vent covers won't fit.

I resorted to using the Trumpeter ones but they had a nasty seam across the ends of each drum.  Previous experience taught me these are a complete pain to fill, so I cut some circles from a thin plastic folder using my circle cutter and used these to cover the ends, eliminating the seams completely.

20210629_203109 20210629_203126

I then added the vent covers from the Revell kit as the Modeltrans set only includes the rear ones and Czech tanks had the covers on the larger vents as well.

20210629_221302

Next I added the snorkel tube but this didn't look right. I realised it was due to the rear mudguards being the wrong shape, so I removed them and replaced with the ones from the Revell kit which are correctly shaped.

20210629_221320

To finish tonight I attached the second row of smoke launchers and started cleaning up the filler around the laser sight.

Next job is to sort the headlights and splash board on the glacis, before finishing off the turret fittings.

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

• badger changed the title to Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and other friends

Bit more progress last night and today.

Yesterday I decided to add the handrails around the turret on the T-54. As my Blackdog conversion was missing these, and the Trumpeter ones are hugely overscale I made my own from brass rod heated in a flame to soften it.

Sadly I then dropped the tank a couple of inches onto the table, so spent the rest of the night reattaching the main gun barrel and repairing the resin machine gun which had broken in several places.

20210703_225322 20210703_225340

Tonight was a more positive session on the Kladivo where I added the grab rails to the turret before attaching lots of the final small fitments. Not much more to do on this now and it will be ready for paint.

20210704_214356 20210704_214405

I have another Trumpeter kit in the post which I plan on converting to an Iraqi Enigma using a Blackdog set, and have just taken delivery of a Takom 1/35 T-55AM from the for sale section on here.

I need help!!

Ben

• Like 5

Massive progress tonight.

The Kladivo is now ready for paint!! Just the tracks and side skirts to add, which I'll do after painting.

2021-07-06_10-01-13

I've had a go at adding the fuel lines as @Bullbasket had mentioned in an earlier post. These were fine fuse wire and although not perfect add some interest.

2021-07-06_10-02-04

I also contact the searchlight to the gun barrel,  sculpted in the mantlet cover to extend it up to the laser sight and wired the searchlight to the junction box on the turret roof.

2021-07-06_10-01-42

The final parts were to add some caps to the rear fuel drums and the headlight cover. I thinned down the Revell part, and whilst still overscale, it will do.

If the weather is dry tomorrow I should be able to get primer on this.

More soon

Ben

• Like 4

8 hours ago, badger said:

I've had a go at adding the fuel lines as @Bullbasket had mentioned in an earlier post. These were fine fuse wire and although not perfect add some interest.

I would think, very difficult to do in this scale, but you've done a good job Ben. Nice work.

John.

• Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Silenoz said:

You sure make nice work of this one... 

Many thanks!!

I got a fair bit more done on the T-54 last night but no photos yet

2021-07-10_02-44-42

This just arrived in the post!

It will be introduced to the Blackdog Iraqi Enigma conversion set I have in the stash later!

• Like 4

Started the next in the T-55 production line last night.

Whilst the hull of the Trumpeter kit that arrived yesterday is destined to become an Iraqi Enigma, the turret is left over.

As this has a better shape than the Revell kit, it has been mated with a Revell hull (which is more accurate than the Trumpeter one) to become a T-55A (Model 1965), much in the style of the build at the start of this thread.

The main challenge is the turret as I need to add the later commanders cupola, and the added radiation padding from the Revell kit. The loaders hatch will be replaced, so I can open it.

I have started cutting these out of the Trumpeter turret, but still a way to go.

20210710_213547 20210710_225757

More soon

Ben

• Like 5