Badger's next build - 1/72 T-55 (model 1958) and 19 other friends

Right - now the Churchill is finished it's time for a new build.

This is one I've been planning for ages and Sgt Squarehead's ongoing Syrian / Iraqi thread has inspired me to pick this up.

Thanks to old pro I have a decent set of plans and have been able to finally figure out how to go about doing this.

I want to model a T-55 (model 1958) from the Czech invasion.

I have the trumpeter, revell and armo kits.

The trumpeter one has a dodgy hull, the revell one a dodgy turret and the armo one is just dodgy!

By combining the three (probably just the trumpeter and revell to be honest) I hope to build a decent model of this iconic tank.

Left overs can then be used to improve an Ace Enigma I have in the stash.

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

And I'm glued to the set!  :hypnotised:

Figuring out what I can build with the assorted dodgy 1/72 T-55 kits I've accumulated (ACE, 2xRevell, 2xTrumpeter) has been a challenge, but it also means I've got a few spares.....They are at your disposal.  :coolio:

PS - I'm faffing with an Enigma at present (Black Dog conversion for Trumpeter), I've accumulated a few detail shots of the real thing and of some rather nice 1/35 builds, I can dump them on Dropbox if you want?  :shrug:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

PS - I'm faffing with an Enigma at present (Black Dog conversion for Trumpeter), I've accumulated a few detail shots of the real thing and of some rather nice 1/35 builds, I can dump them on Dropbox if you want?  :shrug:

Cheers Sarge,

I'll bear your offer of spares in mind, think at the moment I'd just be interested in a set of trumpeter tracks if you have them spare?  I have a spare set of the revell tracks (RMsh) if they're any use, as they are too late for the version I am building. 

Ooh - yes please to the enigma reference. It's not anything I plan on doing anytime soon but it will eventually end up on the build mat.

It will use the ace turret and hull top, mated to the trumpeter lower hull and running gear as this solves the problem with the incorrect spacing of the ace wheels. I was going to also use the trumpeter tracks but these have now been allocated to the T-55 on the sage advice of Old Pro.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

Ok , enough chat - lets cut some plastic!

The trumpeter turret has been assembled and the turret ring cut out and replaced with the revell one as this is smaller. The turret now fits perfectly in the revell hull.

IMG_20180714_135704

I have also started to cut away the commanders hatch cover to be replaced with a revell one so I can have a figure in it (I really hate how trumpeter mould all hatches shut!!).

The mantlet has been replaced with the revell one as this has the canvas cover missing from the trumpeter kit. I'll use an rb models turned barrel as usual.

IMG_20180714_135716

The revell hull was built up out of the box, but I need to drill a hole for the bow machine gun present on this early version.

IMG_20180714_135652

More later with luck

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

A couple of hours tonight has seen some good progress.

The commanders hatch has been fully cut out and the opening is being shaped, hence the filler.

IMG_20180715_002316

Engine deck and fuel tanks are fitted, along with a lot of the vehicle equipment.

Filler has been applied to the gaps on the turret front which will need sanding back once dry.

IMG_20180715_002305

The road wheels have been cleaned up

and fitted.

2018-07-15_12-24-01

All in all I'm quite pleased with today's progress.

All the best

Ben

• Like 9

No doubt, TBH I'd be ecstatic.....How did you go about cleaning up the roadwheels so neatly, the rim of the hubs took a bit of a pasting on mine (I bashed the tyres to hell to hide it)?  :whistle:

It looks like you've rescribed them too!  :o

Ahhhhh, hold on.....Those are Revell wheels aren't they?  :hmmm:

PS - Sadly the only T-55 tracks I have that are categorically spare right now are ACE L&L (and I already know what you are going to say to those).....However, depending on how brave I am feeling with my T-54 (assuming it all turns up), there may be a Trumpeter set free down the road.  :sorry:

PPS - I'm planning on doing more or less exactly the same as you, twice (Revell hull, Trumpeter turret), but mine will have the RMSh type track (& assorted Syrian bits).....The T-55 Enigma appears to have OMSh track BTW

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Ahhhhh, hold on.....Those are Revell wheels aren't they?  :hmmm:

However, depending on how brave I am feeling with my T-54 (assuming it all turns up), there may be a Trumpeter set free down the road. 

The T-55 Enigma appears to have OMSh track BTW

They are indeed the Revell wheels as I'm using their hull it made sense to also use their wheels. The trumpeter ones will replace the Ace ones on the enigma

No worries on the tracks - was an outside shot.

I have zero idea about the different track types - but the trumpeter and ace ones seem the same hence I was hoping I could use the trumpeter ones on the enigma? 

Thanks for the look in.

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

The Trumpeter tub is OK IIRC, it's just the engine deck that's an issue AFAIK, the access panels are kind of a hybrid, but closer to the T-54 style.....I rescribed them (badly) on my Enigma, but with all the extra turret junk and the general battering I'm giving it (those things were shockingly badly fabricated) I think I will probably get away with it.  ;)

If I can persuade the OKB track to fit my T-54 the Trumpeter track is yours.....As soon as all the bits arrive (from Australia & Russia) I'll start work and the running gear will be first, naturally.  I should have exactly one more T-54s worth of mixed OKB Starfish/Black Dog Spider roadwheels left over, if they might be of use to anyone.....  :coolio:

I'm using the Trumpeter OMSh track on my Enigma, the side armour boxes should hide the worst of their issues (the Trumpeter sprocket & idler seem to sit quite high so getting the sag right may be tricky). 

• Like 2

This is coming along really nicely.  I can never get fuel/oil drums to glue together without the seams still showing - top work as always Ben.

You rally seem to be 'churning' out one brilliant build after another - 'the mojo is strong with you' as Yoda would say.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

The Trumpeter tub is OK IIRC, it's just the engine deck that's an issue AFAIK, the access panels are kind of a hybrid, but closer to the T-54 style.....I rescribed them (badly) on my Enigma, but with all the extra turret junk and the general battering I'm giving it (those things were shockingly badly fabricated) I think I will probably get away with it.  ;)

Cheers Sarge.

I'd read the same thing about the engine deck but its also the lack of details such as the left rear stowage box, unditching log, snorkel and a few other bits that erked me.

I originally figured the revell kit was cheap enough I could justify using it as a donor for the missing bits. It wasn't until I started looking at it a bit closer that the current plan got formulated.

The Ace hull top will fit the trumpeter lower with a small bit of trimming so will probably go that way so I have  a matching level of (softish) detail.

All the best 

Ben

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BIG X said:

This is coming along really nicely.  I can never get fuel/oil drums to glue together without the seams still showing - top work as always Ben.

You rally seem to be 'churning' out one brilliant build after another - 'the mojo is strong with you' as Yoda would say.

Cheers mate

I usually put a healthy dose of glue on both sides and let it ooze out a bit forming a ridge which I then gently sand down as I find this easier than trying to fill them. There is a fair seam on these, just don't think the photo picked it up.

As for finishing things - I'm really enjoying my builds at the moment. I have dozens and dozens of part built / finished kits and have always struggled with the painting stage. Three is the most I have finished in a year for at least 15 years!!

I hadn't managed to get anything completed for the last 3 years previously and probably only finished a dozen in the last 10 years!!

The support and interest from people on this site has been a big motivating factor - Thank you all!!! 

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

A small bit of progress today.

I measured up the top of one of my bases (it's great when your mate is a joiner and makes these for me!).

IMG_20180715_214917

A section was then cut out of a plaster street I cast from a form-u-lay mould a few months back. The whole street should yield 5 or 6 "toppers" and the nice thing about having the mould is that I can cast more as needed.

IMG_20180715_214902

This will need sanding down to sit level but I'll introduce it to my power sander (outdoors) tomorrow!

IMG_20180715_214928

The last bit was to find these decals out. Any guesses as to where the T-55 will be set?

IMG_20180715_214951

All the best

Ben

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Those flags are very cool, where did you find them.....I'm looking for a pair of tiny Turkish flags for a Leopard 2A4:shrug:

Hi Sarge

Like this?

https://www.ebay.com/p/Different-Sizes-Scales-National-Flag-of-Turkey-Military-Model-Water-Slide-Decal/2193092006

I bought mine from ebay some years ago, mostly for the US and UK flags.

I've checked the maker and they don't have a sheet with a Turkish one

All the best

Ben

9 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Looking good Ben. 

Many thanks - I've been wanting to build this for a long time.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Small amount of progress tonight.

IMG_20180716_221416

Filler around the turret has been cleaned up and the commanders hatch tided up.

Various stowage boxes have been attached and a lump that does not appear on my plans has been carved off the left hand fender.

Finally an RB models barrel has been fitted.

IMG_20180716_221432

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 6

Flagtastic, cheers Ben!  :thumbsup:

Like the shiny new barrel, I bought one of those too.....Then found it was wrong for the tank I wanted to model, and that's more or less where my own T-54/55 quest started to go completely off the rails TBH;)

• Like 2

Bit of sneaky progress this morning before leaving for work 🤫

I decided to mount the sprockets and idler wheels. The idler was easy as I'm using the revell one on their hull.

The sprocket was more of a problem as I needed to use the early version from the trumpeter kit.

IMG_20180717_082329

This wouldn't fit the revell hull due to a different mounting attachment so I ended up cutting the "lump" off the revell kit.

IMG_20180717_082348

IMG_20180717_082549

I then had to shim the sprockets out so they sat the correct distance away from the hull.

IMG_20180717_083238

I used a piece of the revell sprue as it was the correct thickness.

This worked nicely.

IMG_20180717_083410

IMG_20180717_083838

More later

All the best

Ben

Edited by badger
removal of duplicate photo
  • Like 6

Cheers Sarge

Always think the worst bit of the build is over once the wheels are on!

All the best

Ben

• Like 1

I managed to get a bit more done last night.

To start with I added the unditching log and snorkel at the rear, along with various small details.

IMG_20180717_223142

I then tried to fit the trumpeter grab handles on the turret but quickly gave up as these have a strange method of attachment which meant they didn't sit right and looked rubbish.

IMG_20180717_223111

I've filled the mounting craters (massive holes) and will use the much finer Revell ones. I've also cut away a sight in front of the commander to be replaced with the revell one as trumpeter mould it open where there should be a disc shaped cover in real life.

IMG_20180717_223123

I made a start on cleaning up the tow cables but may just make my own from braided fuse wire with the kit ends as I can then get them to sit naturally, something plastic ones never do.

More later

All the best

Ben

• Like 3

Small update tonight

Grab handles sorted and the commanders hatch from the revell kit fitted.

IMG_20180720_232342

Have added the first of the turret lifting points - 3 more to go. Still need to add the replacement sight.

IMG_20180720_232355

Also added the headlights to the hull.

More soon

All the best

Ben

• Like 2

All being well I'll be rolling with the T-54 tomorrow, probably take me 48hrs minimum before fitting the track.....Any advice for OKB resin, I'm planning on having hot water and a hairdryer to hand, but if you have any other tips I'm all ears, they're far too beautiful & a bit too costly to casually cock up!  :unsure:

PS - I was poking around on the Modelcollect site and I noticed this page:  http://www.modelcollect.com/shoes

PPS - No I don't know what it has to do with shoes either?  :rolleyes:

• Like 1