Scankit 1/72 Truck Kits.....Any Good?

Hi guys, hoping to benefit from the accumulated wisdom of the automotive section of the site for a quasi-military project.....Can anyone tell me about the Scankit range of 1/72 trucks?  Are they any good?  Are there any decent build reviews out there?  Have any of you built one?  :shrug:

Any help & advice welcome.  :coolio:

HI These kits date from the early 1980,s and represented 3 axle articulated tractor units of the time. I recall them being well moulded if a little basic with one piece cabs, they were the only option without going the white metal route.

The models included

Ford Transcontinental

DAF 3300

VOLVO F12

Mercedes Benz

Peterbilt

Kenworth these last two being bonneted versions.

Three axle trailers were also issued originally with the trucks ,the trailers were later released on their own,

The trailers were

Flatbed with two 20 foot ISO containers

Dropside body

Dropside body with tilt

Dropframe with tilt

These kits were later produced by Keil Kraft and then by Knightwing.   

I hope this is of use

Koala

• Like 1

Sarge, Go Merc!

Still the most popular out there. There must be teams of buyers touring Europe & the UK 

just buying up old Mercedes tractor units and shipping them out to the middle East.

Goodness knows what the mileage on some of them is. I even saw old German brewery trucks in Saudi!

Plus there is a thriving scrap/rebuild and retail trade so mix and match parts are common, as is accident damage.

The old '60's Mercedes with the bonnet is still seen out there too, if you can find a model.

(I'm sure there's a factory out there still making them!) They are still popular with the Bedou

people and tend to be rigid chassis, two axle with a custom wooden truck body in vivid colours.

Cab colours for these are the traditional pale green, light brown, or orange (all factory) or any company colours.

There is a sleeper cab version but these tend to be on three axle artic units.

Regards

Pete

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys.....I've got my eye on a Mercedes tractor unit and also a full rig, but the trailer's less than ideal on that one, I've also found a Volvo. 

If any of you guys know of a range of 1/72 nominally civvy vehicles, accessories etc. I'd be very keen to hear about it.

Thanks for your help so far.  :coolio:

• Like 1

There is a resin 2 axle truck by Armada. Seems rare though.

Have a look here

https://www.scalemates.com/search.php?q="mercedes-benz"++1%3A72

There are also Unimogs on there. Not unknown in the middle East.

The Keil Kraft 2238 in various forms are common as muck out there.

You could try ready made model railway trucks perhaps?  Herpa/Preiser etc do them.

http://www.gaugemaster.com/_upload/imgs/thumbs/34651/WK027401.jpg

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=WK8641434&style=&strType=&Mcode=Wiking+08641434

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=PR37010&style=&strType=&Mcode=Preiser+37010

• Thanks 1

Just a thought. It says OO/HO but they'll probably be nearer to 1/87 the Continental scale (HO)

You sure there isn't another scale you like? Ha Ha.

Looks like you're back to the Kiel Kraft & it's clones.

You can use the three axle with a scratchbuilt tipper body.

Or alter the chassis to two axle and scratch a box body using a cut down trailer..

Or just go here

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41OuQ71e9EL._AC_US200_.jpg

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41WDM6j6WHL._AC_US200_.jpg

Cheers Pete, had my nephew & niece here this afternoon so I've not had a chance to look.....1/87 definitely won't work as these will be alongside 1/72 figures and AFVs and the latter in particular are big enough already.  I've taken an interest in modern stuff, mostly Russian, but I'm also interested in the countless (& apparently endless) counterinsurgency wars and frozen conflicts we see on the news every day.  Civilian vehicles feature quite frequently as you know and some of them could make great models, if only we had somewhere to start (in Braille scale):

LAK8dW_dhFI.jpg

A question for the consideration of the participants.....Why does nobody make a 1/72 Toyota Hilux or Landcruiser?  :shrug:  They are by far the most common military vehicles on the planet!  :winkgrin:

You may have to go for diecast and get the hacksaw out.

Diecast scales vary and you may find something close.

Don't forget that American vehicles are very common out there too.

• Thanks 1

I knew I'd seen this stuff somewhere.

Go to Amazon, type in Oxford diecast 1/76 scale.

Various iterations of Land Rover, Mk 1 Range Rover, Mk 1 Transit (they were made in Israel & must have travelled around)

I've seen VW beetles out there and original Mini's (even a Clubman).

All of the above and more are in the range in various colour schemes and prices over 40 odd pages.

There are some American cars etc but not many in 1/76th.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone, very new to all this , so apologies if I am breaking etiquette!!! Most of the favourite artic units found in any country with less than smooth roads tend to be smaller cabbed versions, bigger cabs, high line super space cabs etc are heavier and go through cab mounts like nothing else !!  It’s all about cost !! Driver comfort isn’t reall a concern of companies!Three axle units are ok but they love double drive and manual boxes.  Ok that’s my tuppence worth !!!!

scott

• 4 weeks later...