Short Stirling B1/B3 - Airfix 1/72

This build is for a group build on FB for Bomber Command planes. Here's the kit.

42497106035_6acb18e883_b.jpg

42684544694_c196bc2b03_b.jpg

I will start building it asap, and hopefully will be done within 3 months. :)

Håkan

• Like 10

Thanks Thom! :)

I haven't done much yet, but I started to re-scribe the panel lines on the wings and the fuselage, and where else it is needed.

28617512987_c49942a5e3_b.jpg

Gonna take down the rivets some and fill some sink marks. Otherwise I'll leave it as it is.

I haven't even checked a walk around yet! :)

Håkan

Edited by Azgaron
  • Like 8

You can't beat a good old fashioned Airfix bomber build. I am looking forward to seeing how this progresses.

Nostalgic of Mars 👽

• Like 2

Thanks Martian and Melchett! :)

I'm actually unsure what needs to be done. All info is welcome! :)

Håkan

On 19/07/2018 at 16:01, Azgaron said:

Thanks Thom! :)

I haven't done much yet, but I started to re-scribe the panel lines on the wings and the fuselage, and where else it is needed.

28617512987_c49942a5e3_b.jpg

Gonna take down the rivets some and fill some sink marks. Otherwise I'll leave it as it is.

I haven't even checked a walk around yet! :)

Håkan

haven't even checked a walk around yet! :)

Blimey, you will have a job there Hakan, there aren't any left ..................

Me and a friend visited a Stirling crash site in the Peak District about thirty years ago after a long walk across treacherous peat bogs. The Stirling had not caught fire and one of the huge wheels complete with deflated tyre was still there, partly sunk into the peat. The wing fuel cells were still there too complete with camouflage paint.

7c865f70-2fd2-46cc-a2eb-680507842347.jpg

And this was the substantial remains of another Stirling that crashed on Mickle Fell in northern England. This photo was taken in the 1970s and it has all been removed now.

I love to see the old Airfix kits being built. I received a Stirling for Christmas when I was twelve, the excitement was amazing on opening the present. It was moulded in black plastic and was built in no time ................... if only

regards,  adey

• Like 3

I wasn't aware there was none left. That's sad!

It seems like rivets are quite visible, at least close up.

The bomb bay covers are made in one piece, so if I want it open, I need to split it in two.

As there are a bomb loader tractor and carts, it would look strange to have the bomb bay closed.

Might need a bit more detailing though. Have to ponder that a bit. :)

Håkan

• Like 1

I'm almost 100% certain that the kit I built as a kid had the one piece bomb bay doors, as well as all of them as separate parts to build it open. Is that no longer an option?

Ian

3 hours ago, Azgaron said:

The bomb bay covers are made in one piece, so if I want it open, I need to split it in two.

As there are a bomb loader tractor and carts, it would look strange to have the bomb bay closed.

Håkan

As limeypilot says the Airfix Stirling definately contains alternative open bomb bay doors on the sprues, I have just had a look at my unbuilt Humbrol era issue and the open bomb bay doors are numbered 177,178,179 and 180 on the sprue and are on the same sprue that contains the bomb bay floor and the one piece closed bomb bay.

You would need to split your one-piece closed bomb bay doors into more than two ..........................

I do not know what really needs to be done to this kit from the box,  it certainly looks like a Stirling to me. Maybe it has the wrong type of ash trays in the cockpit........................

enjoy your build Hakan

4 hours ago, Azgaron said:

Håkan

something we are aiming to rectify (albeit only the front 25 feet or so)

feel free to visit our website below and as the General says, we're only too glad to help out

John

Edited by 12jaguar
  • Like 1

resized_3896d377-8ff9-46c3-a47f-c453d71b

This is the actual box from the Stirling that I received for Christmas in 1972.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 2

As Adey M said, I think you have to open the bomb bay. I have had one in black plastic from the '90 with their T ? box and not their peak level one from my youth.  It was closed apart from the wing bays. Btw anyway, everyone can imagine some memories with this, I guess:

3743191351_61b53340aa_ba.jpg

• Like 1

If you want an insite into training & operations in Stirlings, try and find a copy of “A Thousand Shall Fall” by Murray Peden.  He went on to fly ECM B-17s.  Cheers.

Thanks for all the replies! :)

Hmm, looks like I need to have a better look in the box, and instructions! :)

Not having to cut parts apart, makes things a bit easier! :)

Thanks for the link John! Bookmarked it! :)

That sure is some neat artwork. Nicer with the complete picture. 

Håkan

• Like 1

On 14/07/2018 at 13:43, Azgaron said:

This build is for a group build on FB for Bomber Command planes. Here's the kit.

42497106035_6acb18e883_b.jpg

42684544694_c196bc2b03_b.jpg

I will start building it asap, and hopefully will be done within 3 months. :)

Håkan

Hakan, I can actually see the parts for the open bomb bay doors in your box of parts, top right lurking above the engine cowlings and behind the ailerons.

regards,  adey

• Like 2

13 hours ago, bbudde said:

As Adey M said, I think you have to open the bomb bay. I have had one in black plastic from the '90 with their T ? box and not their peak level one from my youth.  It was closed apart from the wing bays. Btw anyway, everyone can imagine some memories with this, I guess:

3743191351_61b53340aa_ba.jpg

One wonders why they were loading the bombs in back to front....

AW

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Andwil said:

AW

Dammit .................. I've been sticking my bombs the wrong way round for 46 years ...................................

• Haha 3

On 22/07/2018 at 11:32, Andwil said:

AW

" Hey chaps, we need to get this aircraft turned round and pointing the other way "

• Haha 1