This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

AR918

Yamaha XV1000 Virago "Nightrider"

Hi all,

After binge watching the first season of American Chopper, my next model was decided. Just like that. The time had also come to attempt a high-gloss finish instead of just using colour spray paints. This Yamaha Virago was perfect for the job, mostly because it was cheap...

The vast amounts of gaudy chrome parts were stripped and painted a custom semi-gloss black/bronze colour just for a different look. For some strange reason this colour can appear either black, black/brown or a deep bronze depending on your viewing angle.

The sunlight blasting through my room "whites out" the flat aluminium colour of the engine and the silver fasteners, it actually looks like sandblasted metal in the flesh... If I was to do this again, I'd paint the engine semi-gloss black instead and use a better camera.

tumblr_pbtu55Z4rS1xxqk0so1_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtu55Z4rS1xxqk0so2_1280.jpg

tumblr_pbtu55Z4rS1xxqk0so3_1280.jpg

The tinwork is the same custom black/bronze colour but with a gloss top-coat. Flatting back and polishing the gloss top-coat was pretty nerve wracking as I've not done this before but I like the result quite a lot. It's surprising how slippery polishing makes these parts.

tumblr_pbtu55Z4rS1xxqk0so4_1280.jpg

Soz for the dust, dropped the model 3 times before taking these photos...

All the best.

It's looking good despite having been dropped ... The finish on the fuel tank is very nice in that last pic!

Beautiful!

I still have an old build of this bike lying around. This gives me ideas for some restoration work.

Cheers,

Markus

Beauty.  Cracking finish despite the lighting on the engine headache.  Looks real.  The seat even looks soft and comfy.

Hi all,

Thanks for the positive replies, it's inspirational, I've learned a lot from you all already!

All the best.