F-15I Ra'am 1/72 Hasegawa

Hi folks,

this is latest addition to my IAF collection. Started a couple of years ago and then put aside, but with the great GWH kit being now available I thought I had to quickly finish it, otherwise I will never find motivation to do so...

I used partly the Eduard etched for the F-15E, Skunkmodels IDF weapon set (4 x RAFEAL SPICE bombs), Eduard's AIM-9L  and HGW Hebrew RBF set. The inlet FOD's were scratch built from Milliput.

Painted with Gunze Aqueous freehand trying to make as tight demarcations as my Iwata was able to work out. I kept the airframe dirty as visible on some pictures in the IsraDecals book, e.g. page 22 or 36.

Cheers

Libor

28528713647_484571f3c1_o.jpg

29527601588_9aaac3f680_o.jpg

29527601388_86680f78a4_o.jpg

28528713437_c237c65dcb_o.jpg

41589832170_f76b9cccbc_o.jpg

43397869281_a299028592_o.jpg

43397869351_1ee65406d2_o.jpg

• Like 47

Amazing build, congratulations! I hope my 1/48 one turns out half as good :)

How did you manage to make the demarcations so tight? Did you use especially thinned paint and paint very close to the plastic?

Thanks for sharing,

Arnaud

Thanks for kind feedback chaps!

Arnobiz: basically yes; over-thinned paint, using the paint retarder (Tamiya), removed needle cap and pressure controlled with micro-valve plus spraying the paint from the other side of painted area and of course countless number of corrections.

Cheers

Libor

Hello Libor,

Another fantastic build. Just wondering, you said that you thinned the paint way down with Tamiya retarder in order to get these extremely fine feathered edges. I'm just returning to the hobby after many years away and I’m wondering if you could you please tell me what percentage of paint to retarder you used? Did you just use Tamiya retarder to thin the paint, or did you use a thinner also? Finally, what does “pressure controlled with micro-valve” mean? Thank you and once again I'm very impressed with your work. I just picked up the "Continuation War" book from Valiant Wings Publishing and was very impressed with your I-153, MS-410, Hurricane, and Buffalo builds in 1/72. I look forward to your next build!

Thanks again, mates!

Hobo: many thanks for kind words, I'm glad you like the builds from our VW book! To answer your questions:

- I use the Tamiya retarder only in a very small volume, I put only  a small drop in the airbrush pot. The paint is normally thinned with corresponding thinner, for Gunze H I use my own mix of denaturated alcohol, distilled water and aceton.

- micro-valve is a feature of some Iwata airbrushes, it is a small pressure regulating valve mounted in the airbrush's body, so you can fine tune the pressure in the nozzle.

Cheers

Libor