Sopwith Camel F.1 (Academy 1:32)

21 hours ago, Andwil said:

That wood effect (and the metal areas) look great.  Those vickers barrels do look upside down to me, the end of the barrel should be at the bottom of the cooling jacket.

AW

Thank you :smile: The 'metal' is Alclad. I love the stuff!!

Having had a look around various sites, I think the whole gun is upside-down!!

12 hours ago, Hewy said:

Really nice job on the fuselage, i love that contrast between the alclad, wood effect and the green, 

Glynn 

Thanks Glynn!! Glad you like it so far :happy: I had a go at the wings today.

I sanded the ribs down (on both sides of both wings and tail parts) so they're not so prominent and painted the under-sides. I used some of my 'pigments' to age / shade / dirty the canvas and this is the end result. I've given this a light coat of satin varnish to seal it and will move onto the upper-sides and tail when I next sit down at the bench.

42329343540_45c02db3cc_k.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Nigel. Looks like you had an excellent weekend working on your Camel! All your painting and effects look superb! This is going to be a stunner!! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

10 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Hi Nigel. Looks like you had an excellent weekend working on your Camel! All your painting and effects look superb! This is going to be a stunner!! :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix. I'm liking the fuselage but I'm so so sure about the wings. I'm tempted to have another at the undersides although they do look better 'in the plastic' than they do in the photo 🤔

Whilst I'll try to build it as best as I can, I'm calling it a practice run after bagging a WnW Camel BR.1 on an auction site for steal!! :headphones:

• Like 1

Spot the difference??

So I went straight ahead with with a simple trial of applying a thin but lighter coat of what I had used and I think it looks better; hopefully more subtle and not so 'handled with dirty hands' :whistle:

43256341305_32e1859302_z.jpg

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Andwil said:

The lighter colour is definitely a great improvement.

AW

Thanks AW :smile:

I've painted the upper-side of the wings now and plan to post some pictures later today

Quick update. Wings and tail now painted (needs small details added), guns painted (I have flipped them and bored out the barrels) and more pin marks filled (currently drying)

The wheels have some particularly bad pins marks. HOWEVER, my WnW BR.1 arrived this morning and it has a spare set of wheels on the sprue. What a result!! :yahoo:

29277969867_abd229bb38_k.jpg

29277969417_f56588ed79_k.jpg

• Like 2

The day was going well and then I thought I'd get on with some decalling. The large decals are badly cracked which made laying them down a nightmare :headbang:

Anyhow, they now have 'Sol' on them so it's going to be a long process as the top side are in 3 layers!! I just hope they are OK. I've looked very closely at the sheet and there are cracks everywhere :cry:

29283018047_a36c34be2c_k.jpg

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Andwil said:

Looking good!

AW

Thank you but alas, the tail decals have not taken and had to be scraped and rubbed down last night :sad:

I have re-primered the fin and will paint the stripes accordingly. With hindsight, I should have painted the roundels (would have been a first for me) but I'm too far in with those now.

Fingers crossed it all comes out OK! :worry:

Too bad about the rudder decals, but it will probably look better painted anyway, those full rudder decals always give problems.

AW

• Like 1

Sorry to hear about the decal issues. That's one of the nice things about AFV builds - there's usually less decals anyway and they can be covered with stowage and mud if they don't work as well! :winkgrin:

Hope you manage to get sorted with them - and with the painted versions.

Kind regards,

Stix

Edited by PlaStix
  • Like 1

Just now, PlaStix said:

Well they're are looking good from where I'm sitting! 👍

Kind regards,

Stix

Cheers Stix!! - They had me worried for a while but it's another lesson for future builds :happy:

• Like 1

That is a  bummer, those academy decals are pants aren't they, but you seem to have recovered it well, that fuselage really makes me want to get a camel, i bet your not looking forward to the rigging though , or are you? 

Regards

Glynn 

• Like 1

On 8/24/2018 at 5:46 PM, Hewy said:

That is a  bummer, those academy decals are pants aren't they, but you seem to have recovered it well, that fuselage really makes me want to get a camel, i bet your not looking forward to the rigging though , or are you? 

Regards

Glynn 

Hi Glynn, They are indeed pants!! I'm hoping the rigging will be easier than fixing the wing struts this afternoon. There was LOTS of swearing and even a threat to 'bin' the whole thing! :swear: Still, sorted now and getting closer to completion :happy:

On 8/25/2018 at 5:10 AM, Andwil said:

Great save!

AW

Thanks AW :smile:

44258597741_3da4acc2f4_k.jpg

• Like 5