Jump to content

Another North Cormorant Oil Platform (finished)


Recommended Posts

See the build thread here:

This is the Revell Germany reissue of the 1/200 North Cormorant Oil Platform.

It's finally finished.  Again, many thanks to Kallisti for building one first and giving advice. I anticipated running short on railing so I used some PE railings in some places.  I'm sort of new to PE work.  Otherwise I may have use PE on the whole model $$.  I'm glad I used a darker color on the railings.  Gives a bit more interest.  For many of the railings I asselmbled sections first, then airbrushed, to hide glue marks.

This model gave me LOTS of practice at repetitive work on small stuff, something I needed.

I also sort of new to weathering so I was conservative.  I used Citadel nuln oil on most surfaces and a little Vallejo pigments on the supports. The soot on the flare pipe is also Vallejo.  (I need a lot of practice on weathering)

wideshotcropped3-th.jpg

 

wellheads-th.jpg

 

walkwaydetail1-th.jpg

 

residenceend1-th.jpg

 

residence1-th.jpg

 

pipestorage1-th.jpg

 

flareboomwalkway-th.jpg

 

 

The helicopter is diecast.  It's the only thing I could find at 1/200.  It still looks large to me, but the colors are nice.
I used Molotow chrome pens on the helipad landing lights but they don't show up much in the photos.

 

helo1-th.jpg

 

helipadlights-th.jpg

 

I think my next project will be the Italeri Fiat Mefistofele, which I already have.  I've spent lots of time reading the builds of others.  There are lots of tips out there, probably the best of which came from the legend, Harry Pristovnik. So sad that he's no longer with us.

  • Like 26
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very effective! I think that the weathering is probably enough in this scale.

 

Martian 👽

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is one big kit to build and looking great 

 

As for weathering you have to remember that the North Sea is not a friendly place 

so weathering would be fairly heavy unless you are depicting it as a new installation 

 

great job. 👍🏻

 

beefy 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

Very effective! I think that the weathering is probably enough in this scale.

 

Martian 👽

Thanks.  I wish my weathering skills were better.

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, beefy66 said:

This is one big kit to build and looking great 

 

As for weathering you have to remember that the North Sea is not a friendly place 

so weathering would be fairly heavy unless you are depicting it as a new installation 

 

great job. 👍🏻

 

beefy 

Thanks.  My vision of this would be heavily weathered.  I need to build some simpler models to practice weathering.  I have a lot more products (like all of the Vallejo pigments) than skill.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Wow! That must have required  some serious  dedication to have built that! Great result. 👍

Thanks.

I'm retired.  I think of it like "prison mode" where I have all the time in the world (think "Shawshank Redemption)

I'd rather build one giant complex model than 5 small ones. I've built only 8 other models, but that included some weirdos like the BMW Isetta, Bentley Blower, VW Samba ( I owned one).  Also built a BMW 320i like the one I owned.  I even sought out the exact color match from a touch-up paint source.

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

smashing work there - I think Sweet Decals do a line of S61 or Sea Kings that might be worth looking into - they maybe 1/144 though.. not sure. Anyway, another great example of this monster built up and looking superb.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/19/2018 at 9:29 AM, Gimme Shelter said:

smashing work there - I think Sweet Decals do a line of S61 or Sea Kings that might be worth looking into - they maybe 1/144 though.. not sure. Anyway, another great example of this monster built up and looking superb.

Thanks.  Those look really cool.  I think I'll get one just for giggles.  I'm afraid they might be to big; the 1/200 that's on the pad looks a little large to me. I might be able to suspend one of the SWEETS above the rig.  Sort of a "forced perspective" thing.

Dave

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 years later...

Wow, I missed this RFI for all this time!!! It ended up looking superb, lovely to see another one built!

 

It makes me want to dig mine out of the big boxes its now lives in, in the cupboard under the stairs! Sadly after a few trips to shows too many things were falling off/apart so it got retired from the show circuit.

Edited by Kallisti
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/10/2020 at 7:27 AM, Kallisti said:

Wow, I missed this RFP for all this time!!! It ended up looking superb, lovely to see another one built!

 

It makes me want to dig mine out of the big boxes its now lives in, in the cupboard under the stairs! Sadly after a few trips to shows too many things were falling off/apart so it got retired from the show circuit.

Thank you.  Your experience building yours was very helpful to me.  It's a big, but enjoyable model.  I hope I never see another tiny railing again!  ;-)

Dave

16 hours ago, gamevender said:

Thanks.  I did get one from Shapeways. But I liked the style and colors of the one that's shown, Even though it's die-cast.

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I have worked  on the North Cormorant on a number of occasions and I can categorically state that it is much more weathered than this excellent model. You need to up the rusting by about 1000%!

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting model. These platforms are becoming history as we speak!

 

On a (I hope) related topic, I was walking my dog on the beach near the mouth of the River Tees and happened to see this offshore platform being towed into the Able facility to be cut up.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Amazing site to see, just out of shot to the right is the Nuclear Power Station and it was roughly the same size!

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sunna said:

I have worked  on the North Cormorant on a number of occasions and I can categorically state that it is much more weathered than this excellent model. You need to up the rusting by about 1000%!

 

Check out my version over here

 

 

I did a lot more weathering and extended the jacket below the water surface...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great job mate but honestly, the rust is much, much more prevalent on the real thing. You wouldn't believe how rusty some of these platforms are. only the reasonably new ones show anything close to nice clean paintwork and North Cormorant is not one of the newer ones. The decks in particular are rusty, the legs, cellar deck etc very rusty. All of the superstructure has rust. I am not taking anything away from any of your builds but you should feel free to enjoy yourself weathering. This is one area where you can't over do it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rumblestripe said:

Interesting model. These platforms are becoming history as we speak!

 

On a (I hope) related topic, I was walking my dog on the beach near the mouth of the River Tees and happened to see this offshore platform being towed into the Able facility to be cut up.

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

Amazing site to see, just out of shot to the right is the Nuclear Power Station and it was roughly the same size!

Yes, lots are being decommissioned. You can see from this example how rusty they get.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/13/2020 at 2:58 AM, Sunna said:

Great job mate but honestly, the rust is much, much more prevalent on the real thing. You wouldn't believe how rusty some of these platforms are. only the reasonably new ones show anything close to nice clean paintwork and North Cormorant is not one of the newer ones. The decks in particular are rusty, the legs, cellar deck etc very rusty. All of the superstructure has rust. I am not taking anything away from any of your builds but you should feel free to enjoy yourself weathering. This is one area where you can't over do it.

I wish my weathering skills were better.  I haven't built many models so getting it to that point was challenging enough.  I really appreciate the info you've provided about first-hand experience.

Dave

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

I like it...

 

Build another 2 and a supply boat for the full 'North Sea Hijack' Diorama!  

 

As for weathering, I work in the North Sea and everything was new and shiny once.  I'd be very proud if that was mine!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...