RIAT 2018 Friday to Monday (final update 22/07)

Hi mm, thanks for your kind words. The pictures in the post above were taken today. There were non-stop departures from 09.00 untill I left just after the Wedgetail took off at 13.28. My first time at a RIAT departures day, but it certainly won't be my last!

• Like 1

Fantastic images, I was there on the Sat and loved the air and static displays.   Can I ask what is your camera setup?

Regards, Roger.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PZRGREN said:

Fantastic images, I was there on the Sat and loved the air and static displays.   Can I ask what is your camera setup?

Regards, Roger.

Thanks everyone!

Roger, I use two full-frame Nikon digital DLR cameras, one with a 80-400mm Nikkor zoom lens, and the other with a 24-120mm Nikkor zoom lens.

• Like 1

Thank you for the wonderful photos, it brings back some good memories of going to the Tattoo in the eighties and early nineties, and again a few years ago. I think about going again, but not sure I could cope these days as post stroke, I tend to get tired if I spend a lot of time looking at things, especially outside (stroke affected the area of my brain that processes some bits of vision). Your photo have been the next best thing to going and yes please, some more! 

• Like 1

More great pics, thank you for sharing them.

Quick question, on the departure day do the aircraft usually just take off and then fly home or do they do a pass down the runway? I ask because I've never done a departure day before but am seriously considering it for next year.

• Like 1

Hi mm. Thanks for your comment, I really appreciate it.

This was my first departures day, and I must say that I REALLY enjoyed it! I understand that the pilots are instructed to do standard take-offs, although a couple did a wing waggle.

The only aircraft that returned for a flypast in the time that I was there were the Su-27 pair (which was greatly appreciated!)

• Like 2

Hi MM, 

There are two viewing areas - East and West. The East site is close to the runway access elbow and affords close shots of aircraft taxing out and on to depart. See my Couteau Delta second set. The West site is along the runway and catches the rotations. You cannot move from one to the other. You must make a choice and  go with it. As you day, it is simply a departure say, with no displays. It does generally also have some arrivals. These are support machines such as the Swiss Beech 1900, Czech C295, Italian and Swedish C-130s and Turkish KC-135R. 

I hope that that helps your decision making.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 2

Wonderful selection of photos and thank you for sharing them with us. I very much doubt if I will attend RIAT again , but I have enjoyed all the efforts of those such as yourself. Just one question, is that a Meteor AAM under the two seat Swedish Grippen? I think they might be entering service now. 

Keith. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Britman said:

Just one question, is that a Meteor AAM under the two seat Swedish Grippen? I think they might be entering service now. 

Thanks for taking the time to comment, Keith. I'm pleased that you enjoyed the images.

Unfortunately I'm not a missile expert, but someone else might know.

Some amazing photos !!!  It truly looked to be a very colourful event with lots of special schemes making a splendid change from all the boring grey shades!  The Pakistan Herk looks like its been emblazoned with a giant 'Polo' for a roundel! Loved the RCAF contingent. and the support types after the show I presume. 

Excellent stuff and a range of quality air arms and types. Thanks a lot for sharing.

• Like 1

Thanks, gentlemen.

12 hours ago, Smudge said:

I had to look twice when I thought I saw a JASDF C-2. It was! Now there's a rarity. 

Yes, the C-2 and the Embraer KC-390 were real coups for the Air Tattoo. I prefer fast jets, but it is great to see machines that have never been to these shores before.

11 hours ago, Paul J said:

Some amazing photos !!!  It truly looked to be a very colourful event with lots of special schemes making a splendid change from all the boring grey shades!  The Pakistan Herk looks like its been emblazoned with a giant 'Polo' for a roundel! Loved the RCAF contingent. and the support types after the show I presume.

There were plenty of special schemes, but the majority were on static display, which is why I enjoyed departures day so much. I agree, the RCAF really supported the show, and being a bit of a C-130 fan, I really enjoyed the Hercules and other support types arriving on Monday.

• Like 2