Horsa D-Day

This might be in the wrong area as it's not strictly about the "scenery", the scenery is the Horsa, men, artillery and equipment.

It's not meant to be historically accurate, but just my take on what might have been on D-Day, inspired by a visit to Pegasus Bridge.

Lots of Bronco kits involved, a bit of scratch building and a homemade case courtesy of Plasticonline acrylic.

Anyway here's some pictures.

DSC_0169

Hosted on Flickr by billybookcase

DSC_0172

DSC_0171

DSC_0167

DSC_0165

DSC_0160

DSC_0166

DSC_0159

DSC_0158DSC_0147

DSC_0145DSC_0131

DSC_0124

DSC_0123

DSC_0122

DSC_0118

DSC_0141

• Like 37

BRILLIANT JOB - WELL DONE - Sorry for 'shouting' there, but it deserves it.  A pristine Horsa - an aircraft that only gets used once - so it makes perfect sense.  I have seen so many of these 'weathered' - this looks much more realistic.

Well done Billy :goodjob:

• Like 1

Thank you lads, it's good to get some nice comments, makes all the hard work worthwhile.

Big X, I was thinking of doing it at  Pegasus Bridge, but I didn't fancy paying the best part of 100 quid then smashing it to bits.

Maybe next time, and a 1/35 bridge as well 😁

BB

• Like 1

22 hours ago, BIG X said:

A pristine Horsa - an aircraft that only gets used once - so it makes perfect sense.  I have seen so many of these 'weathered' - this looks much more realistic.

They did practice with them before the assault. I have pictures of Horsas and Wacos at Spanhoe in '43-4, training for the airborne invasion.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ratch said:

They did practice with them before the assault. I have pictures of Horsas and Wacos at Spanhoe in '43-4, training for the airborne invasion.

I'd be really surprised if they didn't use some for practice.  I'm sure you don't just jump in one and go.  But, if less than perfect I am pretty certain those practice craft wouldn't be sent into the front line.  I may be wrong... 

Gliders were used for exercises prior to operations, they were also stored in the open, picketed on the edge of airfields. Quite a number of aircraft were recovered from the Normandy LZs, repaired and used again at Arnhem. Look at the films of Arnhem and you will see some Horsa with just two black stripes from the D-day markings on the wings, this is because the white stripes were likely to have been painted in white wash rather than paint as used for the black stripes, and between June and September the white wash was washed off by the rain. The gliders were not all made in the same factory and as such there could be tonal differences between the paint on the wings from one factory and fuselages from another with the tape over the transport joints being painted at the MU where the aircraft was assembled being different in tone and shine as well. Some of these tapes can even be seen being left in the red dope with no finishing paint. In summary pristine examples of the Horsa could be seen alongside weathered ones.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Fantastic work! I've visited Pegasus bridge a couple of times and have been tempted to build something similar.. Youve set the bar high!

On a separate note can i pick you're brains about the perspex display case? I need something similar to house a Dragon Wagon dio, but so far i've only found very expensive options.. Did you make yours yourself? 

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/3/2018 at 10:10 AM, nick32 said:

Fantastic work! I've visited Pegasus bridge a couple of times and have been tempted to build something similar.. Youve set the bar high!

On a separate note can i pick you're brains about the perspex display case? I need something similar to house a Dragon Wagon dio, but so far i've only found very expensive options.. Did you make yours yourself? 

Hi Nick, I made it myself, a company called plasticonline cut the acrylic sheets to your exact sizes and they're quite reasonable on price, I then used Flex-i-file Touch-n-flow system to glue them together.

Cheaper than getting a box made anyway.

Cheers

BB

On 9/1/2018 at 4:22 PM, Uncle Pete said:

Staggering detail.  Must have taken forever.  It's really alive and breathing.  I must show the missus so she can see what her fellow Scousers are capable of!

Thank you Pete, it took even longer because I took at face value a photo that described a 17 pdr being loaded when it should have been a 6 pdr, I should have realised that it wouldn't have fitted.

Anyway realised the mistake at the end of the build and had to start again with the gun being loaded.

BB

• Sad 1

• 1 month later...