1/48 - Supermarine S.5 by AMP - released

Homebee

I have three on order as of Monday 23-Dec. Not a bad price at $23US. I have been in contact with AMP and they are also planning an S-4 and S-6B. Can't wait.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A little late for Santa but it's my birthday in February and everyone needs a present to themselves :D 

27 minutes ago, Otakar said:

I have three on order as of Monday 23-Dec. Not a bad price at $23US. I have been in contact with AMP and they are also planning an S-4 and S-6B. Can't wait.

That reads a lot like a further two future additions to my stash :wub: 

I buy all of my Ukrainian kits from the Ukraine. Even with postage it is less expensive than buying it here in the US.  https://modelsua.com/supermarine-s-5-schneider-trophy-1-48-amp48009.html I usually make a larger order to maximize the shipping cost. I believe that the price breaks are .5kG, 1kG, and 2kG. Once you become an established customer with them your price goes down. Otherwise the price is $32.40 . I buy about four times a year from Ivan. He is great to do business with. I try to batch my orders between $100-150/order. As you can see with the price difference for established customers, it is worth it. There is no one in the US that can come even close in these kind of prices and the postage is not much different. Especially from the Squadron Shop, and even Sprue Brothers.

• Thanks 1

It is a dealer. https://modelsua.com/supermarine-s-5-schneider-trophy-1-48-amp48009.html as I mentioned they are very easy to deal with. I pay with PayPal but I believe he has other forms of payment available also. And yes, I use Hobby.dn.ua also but the prices are quite a bit higher from them. If Ivan dose not stock it in his store I just tell him what I want and he gets it for me. For example Zvezda 1/48 kits and the large ICM Ju-88 kits he got all of those for me.

Edited by Otakar

I just got a shipment of 6 UM Bf-109G kits from him at just over $9 each. I will use them for all of my conversions such as Avia S-199, CS-199, CS-99 and so forth. https://www.modelforum.cz/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=131002. For $9 its worth it just for parts. ICM Spitfires the same just over $9 and Mustangs for $11 (Tamiya Clones). AA Models Yak-11 $11.45 ea, ICM Ju-88 $25.47 ea.  I bought three of each. Once again, if you just buy them for the detail sets it is worth it for the engines and interiors which are very good. As good as any resin set. Just become an established customer and you will get these prices also.

Edited by Otakar

• 2 weeks later...

I like Hannants  also and buy from them quite a bit but am not willing to pay 61% more for the kit. I have the three coming from ModelsUA, $23 each. I need to save money somewhere.🤑

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Otakar said:

I like Hannants  also and buy from them quite a bit but am not willing to pay 61% more for the kit. I have the three coming from ModelsUA, $23 each. I need to save money somewhere.🤑

$23 - looked just now and price listed is $32.40?

https://modelsua.com/supermarine-s-5-schneider-trophy-1-48-amp48009.html

Edited by hopkp

You must not be one of his established customers. My price is $23.25. The shipping from the Ukraine and from the UK is also almost the same. Right now I have 6 more kits awaiting order in my shopping cart including the He-111H-20, which is a very large box and very heavy and the shipping will be $21. It also only takes a couple days more to get it from the Ukraine as it takes from the UK. The UK takes 10-12 days and the Ukraine 15-18 days to the US. He even gets kits for me that are not in his store, I just ask him and he gets them for me. That includes UM, Zvezda, ICM, Etc. All the Ukrainian and Russian made kits. The accessories are also very inexpensive. I have never gotten any special pricing from Hannants except the same stuff available to 100% of the rest of the public.  You just have to establish yourself as a customer with Ivan. It's kind of funny because when I click on the link you provided, I instantly get my price of $23.25

Edited by Otakar
  • Thanks 1

Just ordered three more from ModelsUA plus some other kits to equal out the 2kG for the optimum postage of $21. I always try to make my optimum weight of 2kG for shipping.

• 1 month later...

This is great information guys. Thanks, and especially @Otakarfor the steer.

I'm not a good Internet shopper *, but I have just put my order in for an S5 from ModelsUA. Really easy, PayPal does currency conversion. 

I'm looking forward to having a decent sized kit of the best looking plane EVER! 

It's been my flat out favourite for years. 

*I once ordered a book on amazon.... The Mosquito Log, great read..... and I ended up getting 3 of them on consecutive days!! That's me with a touch screen. 

Still good value though.... 😊🤓

• Like 1

Ivan at ModelsUA is a very nice guy. He works with me for anything I want. I was looking for the Zvezda 109G so I can do some Czech Avia S-199 conversions out of them and he put them in his store right away. Same thing on the price with those. My final price on those was $12.30 .I put together a package weight of 2kG and the total post to the US is about $20. That kind of post is about the same as what it would cost me to order it here in the US. Plus I save 7% on tax and the price is about 60% less than here in the US. I also ordered a ICM He-111H-20 in that order which cost me $37 That will also be another Czech conversion to an Avia B-77. I save a lot of money by ordering from ModelsUA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2020 at 7:18 PM, Otakar said:

Ivan at ModelsUA is a very nice guy. He works with me for anything I want. I was looking for the Zvezda 109G so I can do some Czech Avia S-199 conversions out of them and he put them in his store right away. Same thing on the price with those. My final price on those was $12.30 .I put together a package weight of 2kG and the total post to the US is about $20. That kind of post is about the same as what it would cost me to order it here in the US. Plus I save 7% on tax and the price is about 60% less than here in the US. I also ordered a ICM He-111H-20 in that order which cost me $37 That will also be another Czech conversion to an Avia B-77. I save a lot of money by ordering from ModelsUA.

Concur! Ivan at ModelsUA is great and, even with shipping, prices on many items are better than I can get anywhere else.

Edited by VMA131Marine
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The best way to buy from Ivan at ModelsUA is to put together a package that weighs 1.99kG, At 2.1kG the price of postage really goes up. You can really save some real-green by buying from him and doing it that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this question, but here goes anyway!

Does anyone know of any source of pictures of the cockpit of the S.5 (or of the S.6, which I assume would be similar)? All I can find online are a couple of pictures of the S.6 cockpit looking forward (essentially, showing just the instrument panel) but nothing that shows the seat. I'm slightly puzzled by what's provided in the kit - just a rear bulkhead with what looks like a seat back and two etched straps to 'hang' on the said bulkhead. However, there's no seat 'pan' or lap straps - AMP would seemingly have you believe that the pilot sat on the cockpit floor on what look like a couple of very uncomfortable longerons? (I wondered if he maybe sat on a parachute, though this seems doubtful as I think these racers would have flown at low level?)

Grateful for any info. that anyone might have.

• Like 1

Haynes out of the UK has a very nice book on the S6B.  That is how it is titled but it covers all the Supermarine racing planes. Starting with the S4 to the S6B.

ISBN-10: 1785212265

ISBN-13: 978-1785212260

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Otakar said:

Haynes out of the UK has a very nice book on the S6B.  That is how it is titled but it covers all the Supermarine racing planes. Starting with the S4 to the S6B.

ISBN-10: 1785212265

ISBN-13: 978-1785212260

Thanks, that's helpful. I'll definitely pick up a copy.....