17260 LCpl Butcher

17260 LCpl William Butcher was my great grandfather. He was in the Royal Berkshire Regiment during his Military service, below is a picture of him.

image.gif

Below is a map of the area of the  Somme where the Royal Berkshire Regiment fought during the summer of 1916. He was taken prisoner at some point during July, he then spent the remainder of the war down a salt mine location Unknown.

image.png

The was awarded the 1915 Star and the Victory medal

image.jpg

The Royal Berkshire cap badge

image.jpg

The 120MM  Imperial Gallery figure I'm going to hopefully adapt to look like my Great Grandfather.

image.jpg

• Like 18

What a great idea for a project Ozzy. A real family connection. Wonderful. Looking forward to seeing this in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

What a great idea for a project Ozzy. A real family connection. Wonderful. Looking forward to seeing this in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix,

since signing up up for the GB, I've been wondering what to do. Then the other night I came across this figure, decision made. I'm very lucky that one of my uncles did the family tree a few years ago, my Nan still remembers bits a little hazy but she is 92.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, CliffB said:

It's nice to see another family connection represented in the Group Build.

Thanks Cliff,

I'm lucky that my Uncle did the family tree, and had the information written down and some surviving pictures.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Great project Ozzy nice personal touch withthis one,

Thanks Steve,

its a chance to improve my figure painting and pay homage to my Great Grandfather.

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Nice one Ozzy, look forward to seeing the end result.  Figure painting never has been my forte, except simple wargame stuff.

Good luck my friend.

Davey.

• Like 1

Hi Ozzie,

You might want to have a look at this (link below).  The Imperial War Museum have a long term digital project to remember the lives of all those who served during the First World War.  My own Great Grand Father is there and I have remembered him.  He was RE and served with 4th (London) Field Company as part of the 47th Division.  At some point he moved to the 9th (Scottish) Division  it I have no idea when or why..

About 60% of WWI service records were destroyed during the blitz.  Those that survive show and interesting amount of detail about the lives of these young men...

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=GBM/MCI/0679650

Bit more information on the Berkshires

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-charlotte-of-waless-royal-berkshire-regiment/

Good luck with your figure.  You have inspired me to start a Masterbox set that I am going to try and do as 47th London Div, Battle of Messiness 1917..

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

Nice one Ozzy, look forward to seeing the end result.  Figure painting never has been my forte, except simple wargame stuff.

Good luck my friend.

Davey.

Thanks Davey,

the figure paintings will test my modelling skills, I'm looking forward to the challenge.

3 hours ago, Grey Beema said:

Hi Ozzie,

You might want to have a look at this (link below).  The Imperial War Museum have a long term digital project to remember the lives of all those who served during the First World War.  My own Great Grand Father is there and I have remembered him.  He was RE and served with 4th (London) Field Company as part of the 47th Division.  At some point he moved to the 9th (Scottish) Division  it I have no idea when or why..

About 60% of WWI service records were destroyed during the blitz.  Those that survive show and interesting amount of detail about the lives of these young men...

https://search.livesofthefirstworldwar.org/record?id=GBM/MCI/0679650

Bit more information on the Berkshires

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/regiments-and-corps/the-british-infantry-regiments-of-1914-1918/princess-charlotte-of-waless-royal-berkshire-regiment/

Good luck with your figure.  You have inspired me to start a Masterbox set that I am going to try and do as 47th London Div, Battle of Messiness 1917..

Thanks Grey,

Those are really useful links, I found out about the Blitz destroyed the records, my cousin had a look on line as he had a trial but couldn't find any information.  

Good luck with the master box figures, there figures are nice.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, wimbledon99 said:

What a great inspiration for a great project. I'm in for the duration 🍿

Thanks Nigel,

its definatly going to be a figure painting adventure for me.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately time has run away from me on this one, I go to California for 6 weeks on Wednesday. I don't want to rush this, I'm going to take my time when I get back. Good look to everyone else there are some fantastic builds going on.

image.jpg

• Like 2