Hasegawa 1/72 Lancaster B. Mark III Dambusters Part II

Happy to share with you that the IPMS Journal gave me two pages on this story.  Hope you can read this, if you click on the photo, you can read it on Flickr.  Very happy about the end result!  Hope my English cousins enjoy this!

IMG_0502 (2)

IMG_0501 (2)

Hi Guys, my promise was kept, and after a very long journey, from Chicago to MCAS Beaufort, South Carolina, my Lancaster Dambuster diorama arrived safely in the hands of the RAF's 617 Squadron, "The Dambusters."  I must thank my good friend Mark, who just retired as a police officer, who drove the whole way.  And whose superb police driving skills ensured a safe arrival of the kit.  I met with several of the remaining 617 RAF and FAA pilots who are closing down operations before returning to the UK this week.  They seemed very glad to accept the diorama, and treated both my friend and I as VIPs.  For my English cousins on this forum, you should be very, very proud of these incredible young men who are flying the F-35B.  They truly represent Britain's finest.   Their Memorabilia Officer, "Goffey" has told me with the new facilities they will be getting, they plan on building a museum housing the squadron's history.  They intend to put my diorama in a glass case in the museums foyer.  I couldn't be happier.  They gave me an RAF Challenge coin, F-35B patch and a beautiful certificate signed by the pilots.  My thanks also to our Marines, Semper Fi!  Fine Scale Modeler Magazine has shown some interest in picking up this story.  Let's see.

IMG_0225 (2)

At the Air Station's Officer's Club where I handed over the model.  From Left to right Flight Officers, Mark, myself, "Goffey", Chris and Liam, terrific young men!!

IMG_0279 (2)

The old meets the new!

IMG_0285 (2)

Allies and Brother Military Aviators!

IMG_0282 (2)

Beautiful print signed by the officers, a valued keepsake.

IMG_0288 (2)

I also want to thank "Stretch", the RN Lead Technical Writer who contacted the right people on my behalf and got the ball rolling.  (And a Chicago Bears fan!  Who knew!)

Edited by CMSCHLOM
  • Like 24

Nice job, Charles. 'A' for effort on top of your modelling skills, and yes we are proud of our RAF. I don't know if it made the US networks, but there was a 100 year Royal Airforce anniversary Buckingham Palace flypast this week. 200 aircraft involved including the superb Merlin roar of our Lancaster and Spitfires. The F35s made an appearance along with the Typhoons (Eurofighter). A fantastic spectacle.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Nice job, Charles. 'A' for effort on top of your modelling skills, and yes we are proud of our RAF. I don't know if it made the US networks, but there was a 100 year Royal Airforce anniversary Buckingham Palace flypast this week. 200 aircraft involved including the superb Merlin roar of our Lancaster and Spitfires. The F35s made an appearance along with the Typhoons (Eurofighter). A fantastic spectacle.

Yes, my RAF comrades mentioned that to me.

Fantastic.  

A nice little illustration of the fact that despite the political rows going on at present there's plenty of co-operation where it really matters.

• Like 1

It sounds like you had a wonderful day and the diorama looks stunning. Looking forward to seeing it in the squadrons museum when it opens if I’m lucky enough to be able to visit it hopefully. Yes we are very proud of being able to see 617 still operational, many famous squadrons have gone as the airforce has scaled down over the years but they certainly are iconic still in the uk. Well done!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...