C-119C, Armée de l'Air, Hanoi, 1954...

2 hours ago, John_W said:

lightening holes in the clamshell door frames

Aha!  I know what they are...the frames that go in the doors themselves have all those little holes in them...right?  Yes...that would make a nice difference in the look.  

• Like 1

Great idea John !

There was a "Fana de l'aviation" dedicated to these "pseudo" french C-119

Mainly piloted by U.S "Advisors"

I will have a look if it can help !

Sincerely.

CC

Oh great start on your boxcar !!

• Like 1

On 17/07/2018 at 18:54, John D.C. Masters said:

Thanks John.  What are lightening holes?

These are the many holes that you see in the structural framework of an aircraft. By removing the metal that would have filled that hole the aircraft designer is making that part of the structure lighter but not weaker.

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m

Thanks for the tip John.  It's coming along...

Lightening holes drilled...I'll be adding more detail to these doors per the excellent photo from Dennis!

43487960201_09ff2362cd_z_d.jpg

30gms of weight added, cargo floor added, cockpit ready to be installed...oh, by the way, all the glass is in save for the windscreen.

42771402534_880405bd9c_z_d.jpg

The ceiling piece needed some thinning at the bulkhead end so it fit snugly where and as it should.  While the starboard side is attached, glued, etc...I have test fitted the port hull section just to see.  Looks like a cargo plane to me!

41680092440_3f4b56a0e2_z_d.jpg

While the test fitting looks ok, there will have to be some filler added here...

43487958531_cd391ac7e9_z_d.jpg

...and here...

42771401714_e4a76bedea_z_d.jpg

I'll get around to closing her up tonight.  I will also mask the windscreen and assemble the clamshells with some added detail since they will be very visible.  I am contemplating building the little Dodge, but what I would really like is a 1/72nd Deux Chevaux...😉  I also have a plastic bag full of odds and ends from ship building supplies for a diorama that was never built--barrels, boxes, and so forth.  I think I'll put them in there close to the opening.  Something fun!

--John

• Like 13

I jumped around the plans and assembled the larger components--booms, wings, wheels, etc...I figure I can let that dry and then have a closer inspection for any gaps.  So far the fit seems pretty tight with very few gaps to fill.  Perhaps a bit of sanding here and there.  Oh yes...and I had to raid the laundry line for more clothespegs clamps.  Good thing I did the washing yesterday!

Just for kicks I laid it all out...

29621777688_1482541c77_z_d.jpg

To paraphrase that famous Dreyfuss/Shaw/Schieder film about fishing.....I'm going to need a bigger bench.  

Really...I will clear off most of the tools, bottles etc...to make room for this bird before I start putting it all together.  

--John

• Like 13

My wife would go mad if I took that many pegs

It is progressing well ( and quickly ) so far John.

A modeller can never have enough paint and brushes ....................

regards,  adey

• Like 1

What are you going to do for the "NMF" finish?   I am currently trying a technique used by Rob Lyttle on this site, ( he is doing a DC7, and has previously done a couple DC3's )and that is the foil tape used for furnace ducting........ you can buy it real cheap from the hardware stores, and believe it or not, it works, and works damn fine...... I initially thought it may be too thick, but on my 1/72 C 47 it is working quite nicely... and Rob uses it on 1/144 kits........... amazingly ( I hate that word by the way) it can be burnished down over the smallest of details and compound curves... I was pleasantly surprised, and a small benefit, is , also, it is strong, if you mess up, you can pull it off, without tearing, for what it's worth, it may be worth a look and a try??

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Natural Metal Finish

Yes...of course...I think I knew that.  The acronymical jargon escapes me sometimes...

2 hours ago, Biggu said:

foil tape used for furnace ducting

Yes...it is intriguing and I have plenty.  I use it in my darkroom to render the space 'light tight'.  However, not to disappoint, but I will probably use White Aluminum Air from Vallejo.  I would like to try the tape sometime, but I would rather experiment on something smaller to start.  

• Like 2

A busy day here at the factory on the hill...too hot to do much after 11AM so I stayed inside after my morning errands.  I took care of a lot of little things (wheels, landing gear, props, etc...) and also assembled the primary substructure of the Boxcar.  I filled in the gaps, let it all dry, cleaned it up...I masked all the glass including the windscreen and that is now drying in situ...

Not having a hole punch, I used my swivel knife for the little 3mm discs on the windows and the masks on the wheel hubs.

If anyone ever releases a mask set for this model, I may have to build another just to use it.  Here's the pics...

29641997458_8278200f8d_z_d.jpg

43512932021_dd5ba898b0_z_d.jpg

The swivel knife...note the two sets of small round holes.  One set was too small...You can see the doors in the background already masked.

43512931251_84e114d9a4_z_d.jpg

29641996358_1a5cf73af4_z_d.jpg

Yellow tips are brush painted.  I still can't get a decent coverage with yellow from the airbrush...

29641996368_ccea23d4a9_z_d.jpg

Looks like an aeroplane...

43512930811_93f55cc090_z_d.jpg

Consider this the mirror image of the port aspect...

43512930841_d760e8fa48_z_d.jpg

et voila!

43512929961_04fe0b51e9_z_d.jpg

I'll give this a few hours, cover up the open spaces and take it outside to prime it with Humbrol rattle can primer.  Night time is a good time to do this here.  Cooler and drier.  One interesting thing...the metal landing gear I purchased is actually for the C-119 from the 1960s, i.e. w/ dual nose wheel.  This is not my bird.  I will use the kit supplied set. They are also better detailed.  I will add some wires and hoses since they are so large and prominent.  Phew!

--John

15 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Keep up the good work

Thanks Chris!

• Like 11

28 minutes ago, TheBaron said:

amazing progress!

It's all about components and leap-frogging the building plans.  I'm eager to start the NATO/Warsaw GB so I want this one under my belt.

• Like 2

Primer...

28643892887_b63e1fd883_z_d.jpg

Some black shading, top and bottom.  

29659821168_4bc1d14641_z_d.jpg

43483935932_0a5616dce7_z_d.jpg

I'll let that sit for the night.

Question to the group...the black sections that will be on the underside of the fuselage and the engine nacelles and parts of the wings...should I paint them first then mask them off for the rest of the paint job, or do the opposite, i.e. paint the aircraft then mask off the areas I will need to paint flat black?  I am leaning towards the latter...

--John

• Like 8

Because of possible damage to the metal surface by masking tape, doing the black first then masking it off so you can do the metal effect seems a less risky practice

You are galloping along with this one, lovely

• Like 1