C-119C, Armée de l'Air, Hanoi, 1954...

This is the largest kit I have ever built.  The second largest was an Airfix  0/400 that I built way back when I was 10.  That was half the size.  

It'll be OOB...and, yes, I have read the threads about what a terrible kit this is, how inaccurate, etc...I am sure that you are all correct.  As a non-rivet counting member of this fine forum I simply build them, with as little extra bits as possible unless very inspired to do something else.  So, OOB it will be with the exception of the landing gear.

One question...how much weight will it take to keep the nose on the ground?  Anyone have this answer?

42665989014_6663585d85_z_d.jpg

28513132827_af933b4f49_z_d.jpg

29514892108_52a61ef817_z_d.jpg

29512325678_e100423aec_z_d.jpg

So this will be fun.  I'll have a weekend of research and looking at what others have done with this kit and jump right in!  I'll be doing the former USAF bird in French livery so I will have the best of all worlds...bright orange bits, bright silver bits, USAF beneath the orange bits and French roundels.  Poli kala!

--John

• Like 17

I recently built the AC-119K version of this kit also OOB. When I brought it into my local club meeting a fellow member who flew one in Viet Nam spent a long time looking at it and came up with the verdict that it was just like the one he flew. If it was accurate enough for him it is accurate enough for me. :) I completely filled every void in the nose with #6 shot and it sits on the nose wheel. 

• Like 3

Thanks all...It'll be shiny beast, for sure.

8 hours ago, Martian Hale said:

This will make an interesting comparison

Yes indeed.  His thread is a wealth of information. 

2 hours ago, hsr said:

I completely filled every void in the nose with #6 shot and it sits on the nose wheel.

How much do you think it weighs?

• Like 1

John, Hi!

You're sure to have fun with this: despite all my Jeremiads it's a nice little kit. 

Did I say little?

21 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:

This is the largest kit I have ever built.  

Mine too! :laugh:

It's not until you stick the outer wings on that it suddenly hits you just how big...

If you need any particular information just give me a shout, otherwise I'm just going to happily sit back if I may and enjoy your work.

Good luck!

Tony

• Like 1

8 hours ago, John D.C. Masters said:
11 hours ago, hsr said:

I completely filled every void in the nose with #6 shot and it sits on the nose wheel.

How much do you think it weighs?

Probably ~30 grams

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

just how big...

Thanks Baron...it'll be fun.

I measured the wingspan, according to the box, and the cabinet in which it will reside.  It will fit, at an oblique angle, with lot's of room around it, beneath it, etc...for all the 'normal' sized aircraft.

1 hour ago, hsr said:

Probably ~30 grams

That's good.  Now I know what to shop for at the fishing supply store!

• Like 1

This looks like it is going to be an interesting one to follow. I can never resist a Italeri C-119 whenever I see one on display somewhere, they look right to me and impressive.

I think this kit dates from a time when Italeri got their subjects to look right, I just do not understand why they find it difficult to do that nowadays.

I have a surefire way of determining how much weight a nosewheel model will need without the uncertainty and potential for being too little or too heavy. I used it on my 1/72 MACH 2 Argosy which has a similar layout to the C-119. I built the wings, tailplane and tailbooms first. I then taped the fuselage halves together and then taped the wings to it .  with tailbooms attached and taped the tailplane to these. Then I pivot the model from the position of the main undercarriage wheels ( or from the wheels if they are already installed to the wings). Then I add weights onto the nose until the model sits on its nose firmly. I have used this method for all types of nosewheel models for many years and it works.

Enjoy your build and take your time. Those of you that start posting a build as soon as you open the box are very brave, I have to be well on with a build or have it completed before I post any construction just in case it either does not go to plan or I get fed up with it. 

I do not think it will happen in your case though John, this kit builds into a great model.

regards,  adey

• Like 3

I built this kit in the 1980s some time, and i found it had good fit and detail in all the right places. I know one person took the kit to task online for supposedly being off in wingspan, but just how "Inaccurate" it is i don't know. I think there was one designer/pattern maker at Italeri who had a "Thing" for transports, and they were always pretty good.

My guess is the Aerofax book on the -119 would be the best arbiter available to us.

At any rate it looks beautiful when finished; One would not mistake it for the jurassic Aurora kit or an offering from Mach 2 (who admittedly have demonstrated a track record of improvement with each subject).

-d-

Has this kit been around since the 80's?????????????????????  THAT means it's been in my stash THAT long?? I bought one of the first issues...... man I'm getting old and don't even know it..... the ONLY reason I haven't done mine yet is storage space........ my plan is a RCAF bird or possibly an air tanker....... John  I hope you don't mind , but I will pull up a chair and watch this build, with much interest................ and will loo forward to your updates......

cheers from Canada

Jeff

• Like 1

Thank you Jeff...with all the attention this is getting I will do my best to satisfy those watching.  The trickiest part, for me at least, will be the airbrushing of the orange over the USAF markings so the show through.  I tend to have a heavy hand.  I will have to practice before I get to that stage.

• Like 1

Did someone mention the Aurora C-119 ? ............yes David did

Here is an Aurora one that I photographed many years ago at a model show. I do not think that MACH 2 made one though, I think David might be mistaking it with their C-123 Provider.

resized_2e18ba05-8dab-4f96-bf93-07bac96f

I am looking forward to your build John

regards,  adey

Edited by adey m
  • Like 5

Well, I must say, that after only a couple hours of dedicated work, I already love this little beast.  The parts fit together, very little flash, nice feeling plastic, enough interior detail to satisfy me without going overboard on a lot of gizmos that will not be seen...Love it!

It is safe to say this is not a fuselage.  It is a hull.  Vallejo Olive Green, dry brushed with aluminum.  I'll put in all the glass tonight.  It's a shame we won't see the O2 tanks once it is all buttoned up...

28580402597_286947504e_z_d.jpg

Cockpit is nice and busy.  I have added tape seatbelts.  Photos I have seen have the deck (for and aft) in grey/aluminum and the interior hull walls green, so that is what I have done.

41659538990_c4ee90842a_z_d.jpg

28580399267_eaeba03b23_z_d.jpg

Is one of these boxes a First Aid kit?  I would like to be...

43418915802_24ab226b6c_z_d.jpg

Hull doors.  I might have some of them open.  I have also seen these in photos as having yellow/black warning tape around them.  I'll try to do that too.

28580400717_2904d0df07_z_d.jpg

That's it for now.   😁

• Like 19

Italeri neglected to mould the lightening holes in the clamshell door frames. No problem to drill them by hand with reference to photos, and greatly improves the look if modelled doors open.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Let's see if you can get it done in less than 100 pages

Very funny...I hope to get it done before the NATO/Warsaw GB begins...I have a Mig or two on the tarmac gunning their engines.