Greeting to all,

Having finished Capt 'Winkle' Brown landing the first jet on a carrier for the Carriers Ahoy GB, I will follow up with Capt Dunning making the first landing on a ship underway. HMS Furious in August 1917. This little gem of a kit has been in the stash for a long time and now seems an appropriate time to start. I am taking advantage of the early post as I'm traveling for work all next week then on the 21st heading back to Europe for a couple of weeks holiday. I'll get stuck into this upon my return mid August.

IMG_1186

The box top shows the skid equipped Pup for Capt Gallenhawk who was the first to land on an actual carrier but Dunning was first to land on a moving ship which was harder so will win the honours. It should be an interesting build with injection plastic, white metal, resin and PE. Probably a bit of string as well by the end!

IMG_1185

Colin

• Like 14

Deserving event will enjoy this one with interest. I’d really love to do this but it’s the string bits that put me off. Good stuff 

Hi

I'm really trying to source some 1/48 naval crew to recreate the landing diorama. No luck so far so it might just be a flight deck.

Colin

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Well as planned Im back from my happy hols and had some time on this little bird today.

My Hols included a day trip to RAF Cosford where I found a Pup, previously in the RAF museum. This was handy as I was able to get plenty of pictures. Unfortunately the hanger 1 was closed so only able to visit 3 of the 4 hangers. Great to see all the stuff from the BoB museum outside of London though.

Although it looked good in the box there was quite a lot of flash on the parts and I have basically spent the day cleaning up parts ready to start building. I managed to break a knife blade cutting the wings off the sprue and broke both undercarriage units cutting them off. The instrument panel is the the first I've ever seen in 1/48 where the bezels are moulded to the rear, but the front was so thin it exploded when I tried to cut it away from the moulding block. I had to switch to a saw which I don't like to use on resin. The cockpit floor and rear bulkhead was broken already so I repaired this with some card to strengthen.

Holes drilled for struts and rigging so can start gluing things together soon.

I have been unable to get any suitable figures for the diorama idea but I did find a WWI pilot in Hannants who can be modified to become Dunning.

IMG_2330

Colin

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update 

Eduardo have invented a plastic totally resistant to all known glue. Neither the instrument panel or interior will stick together and I have spent the last week going nowhere. 

I have managed to get a pilot in but he comes loose very easily. 

Travelling this week so maybe I will make progress next week end. 

Colin 

• Sad 2

Wow. leaping forward with the build and the technology. I managed to take the picture and post it using my phone. 

A small step for mankind and a huge leap for man.

On top of that I managed to get the fuselage together and built the engine. 

20180902_171142

Colin 

• Like 4

Looking at a few pictures of the event I see that the Pup had a machine gun fitted. I therefore cut out the opening in the upper wing to fit this. 

Elevators have been raised and I'll position the ailerons in sideslip mode. 

Upper surface now painted in olive drab. Interesting to see the upper surface colour returns onto the underside all round. 

20180907_072403

The fin flash covers upper and lower surface of the ailerons 

Colin 

• Like 4

Finally managed to get to the hard part. 

No jigs, templates or location holes here. The carbane struts are nearly vertical so I added these first and aligned the outer struts to them. I then managed to break them all off trying to fit the upper surface. This was probably because they are cast resin so brittle.  Anyway I got the outer struts on.

20180908_172123

I then fitted the wing using the last one

20180909_110723

and refixed the carbane struts. 

20180909_134921

Whew! I did manage to get a few bits of PE on as well so not a bad weekend work.

Now I can start rigging. 

Colin 

• Like 4

Cheers Grey

With the basic structure done I decided to move on with the figures. The left 3 are recycled RAF crew while 3 on the right are model railway figures and the others are from various packs at the bottom of the figure box. 

20180908_172108

All will be repainted in black navy uniforms to match the famous pictures.

Approximately. 

Perhaps 

Colin 

• Like 1

I have made a start on the rigging. This is all 'hook tie', a fine fishing line. I also visited M Workshop in Singapore so picked up some 0.005mm wire to make the control surface lines. Hopefully this will fit to the pe levers on the control surfaces. 

20180909_220046

20180909_220152

Tail added for light relief. 

Colin 

• Like 3

A little bit more done today. Some of the rigging trimmed and the undercarriage fitted. It's getting more fragile every day and I'm hoping that the rigging will strengthen it.

20180914_071354

Colin 

• Like 2

Hi All

Another weekend work with little to show. I have however finished the main rigging and rigged the tail plane with the hook tie. As a first time for me I have added the control lines to the elevators and rudder. I used the 0.2 mms brass rod I got last week in Singapore. You can just see these as brass and I might leave them unpainted as they will disappear into the camouflage if painted black. 

20180916_152313

20180916_175733

First draft of the figures. Gloss black looks too strong so I'll go with the acrylic anthracite from Revell which is the greyer shade.

20180914_071412

Colin 

• Like 3

Figures now painted up but still gloss. 

I managed to find 4 officers hats on some ICM figures.

20180916_175519

Not quite what I wanted but close enough with no commercial figures available. 

Meanwhile I managed to get the ailerons control cable done. A bit advanced for me but it's such a tiny plane it needs to be detailed to fill the frame 

20180916_175751

Colin 

• Like 3