F-101A Voodoo

Have been avidly following the thread by Nikolay Polyakov with his fabulous build of this kit.

Sadly he seems to have gone off air, which was a shame as he was inspiring me to build this stash sitter. So it is time for me to step out of his shadow and take the lead. I'd also like to publically than Bentwaters81tfw for his fabulous photos of the type throughout its operational life, which have decided me on the machine I want to model.

Here was where I left it  on the thread

IMGP6887

I haven't taken any photos recently  not expecting to post a build thread. You can see the issues with the fit, the lines of filler show the major joints. the starboard panel below the cockpit coming had to be sanded until paper thin  and I was scared that I would literally tear it. by this stage I had already removed the slime or formation lights from the nose and tail mouldings as they were not fitted to the A model. So this is where I was in early June.

IMGP6901

Here we are today. the machine I want to do is from very late in the types usage. The nose has been repainted but the tail and wings are still in the original natural metal. The centre section is finished in ADC grey. The intakes have been cut back and squared off as have the splitter plates as Kittyhawk chose to give this early model the same intakes as the later B model. I make no pretence at accuracy as I cut where I though based on photos rather than plans.

IMGP6900

The wing parts fit together really nicely, but the strange hook like tabs forced the wings away from the fuselage so they had to be opened up to get a better fit. Generally the fit of the individual section isn't at all bad, but the five major components, tail, centre section, nose and wings is problematical, probably because the manufacturer is trying to get A, B and RF models out of the basic moulding. This has some  positives as my kit has a full weapons suite for the B model included so I have some nice Genies and Falcons for my Revell Monogram kit.

Next  on the to do list is the undercarriage which I felt was too fragile to stand up to all the filling and sanding I knew I would need to do, test fitting of the main legs looks good but some work  be need in the nose bay.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Sadly he seems to have gone off air, which was a shame as he was inspiring me to build this stash sitter.

Sorry @Silver Fox, I’m not gone, just haven’t enough time and mojo for the build. Just thinking about she today 🙂

2 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

The wing parts fit together really nicely, but the strange hook like tabs forced the wings away from the fuselage so they had to be opened up to get a better fit.

The wings attachment caused some troubles with intakes’ splitter plates, so it needs some work again... That bored me, because I don’t like to re-build anything 🤨

Your Voodoo looks great, nice work!

good to hear from you and that all is well. Once the wings were properly seat, the hard work was over( I may be saying this too soon). The masking has been time consuming and tedious but it was worth it today when I stripped all that tape off.

I hope you overcome the bored and get yours finished soon.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

Once the wings were properly seat, the hard work was over( I may be saying this too soon).

Yes, the hardest phase is passed, congratulations!

37 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

The masking has been time consuming and tedious but it was worth it today when I stripped all that tape off.

Can’t wait to see mine painted, too 😁

38 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

I hope you overcome the bored and get yours finished soon.

Looks like you’re inspired me today, thanks 👋 Just updated my thread, you’re welcome!

All the best! 

• Like 1

Some free time last night meant that the undercarriage could be added:

IMGP6902

No issues at all, though I would have preferred the hole/pin joint for the main gear legs be a bit deeper. I am now regretting not pinning them.

IMGP6903

The nose gear was a tight fit and needed a little thinning so it would slide in snuggly. I still need to add the  landing lights, but I feel that the  sit will de fine once the nose wheels are added. I've painted the gear doors  so they are next up and I'm working on the tanks.

Whisper it, I might be in a position to start decaling.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

No issues at all, though I would have preferred the hole/pin joint for the main gear legs be a bit deeper. I am now regretting not pinning them.

Great work, @Silver Fox! Yes, that’s a mistake I made too: the instructions reasonable says that the legs must be glued before the wings’ halves was put together. This statement is for the strongest fixation, but it may cause a issues during the wings attachment.

7 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Whisper it, I might be in a position to start decaling.

Good luck! Looking forward for your Bird 🙂

As for mine build, today I sanded the splitter plates that was damaged, but needs some polishing.

Cherrs! 😎

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Silver Fox said:

no progress as yet. I've painted the under fuselage fuel tanks and the gear doors over the weekend though.

Not bad at all! Looking forward for your build photos.

Just ordered the F-101B from Kitty Hawk 🤗 Bargain price - I have no choice and no chances to resist... Waiting for the RF-101C release.

All the best 🤝

9 hours ago, Nikolay Polyakov said:

Not bad at all! Looking forward for your build photos.

Just ordered the F-101B from Kitty Hawk 🤗 Bargain price - I have no choice and no chances to resist... Waiting for the RF-101C release. 

All the best 🤝

Gosh, you do like a challenge. I'll stick to the old Revell/Mongram for the B, though I do fancy a RF

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Silver Fox said:

Gosh, you do like a challenge.

I can’t resist because the modern kits are like the pieces of the art for me. Since I got returned to modeling this autumn, I have some cool boxes at the moment...

A friend of mine asked me to build a Vigilante for him, so I waiting for this box (1/48 kit from Trumpeter) to arrive.

So, I have some updates in my build thread, you’re welcome! 😎

So here is where I stand at tea time today.

IMGP6907

Once side is nearly decalled as are the wings, just the other side to do. You can see the tailplane ,tanks and the remaining undercarriage doors are all painted and ready to install, the nose wheels need a little work but I am finally getting close to the finishing line.

IMGP6908

The Caracal decals are soooooooooooo much nicer than the kit supplied ones., but that's the same with all of Caracals products.  Sadly this also highlights the still visible sink marks on the airbrake door. They only came to light after I'd removed all the masking. I'm living with it.

Thanks for looking.

• Like 4

Yay! Great work @Silver Fox 👍

14 hours ago, Silver Fox said:

Sadly this also highlights the still visible sink marks on the airbrake door. They only came to light after I'd removed all the masking.

I saw the F-101B kit and looks like a Kitty Hawk nailed this problem - an airbrakes are without a sink marks now... Now it’s my turn on the airbrakes sanding party!

And what about the fuel tanks attachment? Looks like it’s not so easy to fit them straight and strong, aren’t it?

Looking forward to see your Bird done.

Cheers! 😎

I haven't been slacking but work has got in the way of finishing the kit.  I  have put the decals on the other side of the fuselage, but I haven't taken any photos.

I am away for  a few days now but hopefully I will finish her early next week.

• Like 1