Splinter Camo Hawker Hunter

robgizlu

With the Airfix 1/48 offering pending I was startled to see this whilst browsing You Tube for the new F-35.

I'm not certain if I can "legally" link directly to You Tube...so search on "RAF Marham"published July 5th by David Tilbury and check out the video from approximately 17 mins in..

Absolutely fascinating and rather blows away the F-35s!

Flown by Hawker Hunter Aviation, I wonder if we'll see any decals produced?

I can't find any other pics of this yet on t'internet

Rob

15 hours ago, Red Dot said:

just seen it at RIAT - awful !!!

Andy

;) Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, as they say Andy.  I can't help loving it.  In the relative twilight of it's career it just brings a modernity to it that I feel it deserves.......

Here are some pics from RIAT yesterday.   It was the highlight of the show for me.  Such a shame and tragedy that the LanceR wasn't able to appear.  Similar vintage- similar "modern" camo.

90585953-35d1-4da3-9964-c745582d21ba.jpg

2472a690-0e79-4fb7-94b3-1a4487819246.jpg

7fac19d3-f853-4560-a1d4-b2ff6b4a9ec2.jpg

b7220e27-73f3-45c2-b9b3-6fa31e0aebf0.jpg

Fingers crossed for decals.  It's on my build list

Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Here is footage of the splinter Hunter, (plus another if you watch the whole clip) - doing a flyby and landing at RIAT Fairford on Day 2...…………………………..skip to 38.51 for the flyby and landing..…………………….as well as other aircraft arriving on day 2

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, junglierating said:

Does anyone know about the box sections on the front of the gun ports...i assume its an aerodynamic fudge rather than cover the gun ports.

I assume the hunter no longer uses aden gun

These are the gun blast deflectors which were installed to minimise pitch-down when the guns were fired.  It’s quite possible that ZZ191 retains her guns and their pack: the whole shooting match (pun intended) weighs around a ton and it may have been considered more sensible to retain it rather than invest in a ballast installation even though something of that nature has probably been installed in other Hunters before now.

5 hours ago, junglierating said:

Does anyone know about the box sections on the front of the gun ports...i assume its an aerodynamic fudge rather than cover the gun ports.

I assume the hunter no longer uses aden gun

I think they are either chaff/flare dispensers or some kind of cooling equipment for equipment which may now be packaged in the former gun pods.

1 hour ago, Richard E said:

I think they are either chaff/flare dispensers or some kind of cooling equipment for equipment which may now be packaged in the former gun pods.

Hmm pretty sure its nowt to do with CMDS ...cooling maybe but not sure for what...going to have to find out

2 hours ago, Nigel Bunker said:

Are the ones at the top cameras or some sort of sensor? They don't look like holes to me.

Hi...…….if you look at the film footage that I posted earlier in the week item #7, you can see them operating!!  HHA have I believe taken over the role of Yeoviltons FRADU Hunters where they approach ships in simulated attacks and calibration of electrical equipment.  FRADU used to have the Harley light fitted in the nose of their Hunter GA11s, as technology has moved on they longer need those large lights and possibly fitted a more powerful (Strobe possibly)lighting system

• Like 1

On 7/17/2018 at 10:43 AM, rayprit said:

Hi...…….if you look at the film footage that I posted earlier in the week item #7, you can see them operating!!  HHA have I believe taken over the role of Yeoviltons FRADU Hunters where they approach ships in simulated attacks and calibration of electrical equipment.  FRADU used to have the Harley light fitted in the nose of their Hunter GA11s, as technology has moved on they longer need those large lights and possibly fitted a more powerful (Strobe possibly)lighting system

I was on about the gun ports box sections not the 3 on top...which I could speculate about....they look like sensor but not MAWS 

Junglierating..........

Looks like either a camera port on the 'Sabrinas'  ..... or a chaff/flare dispenser......

hunter%20nose_02.jpg

hunter%20nose_03.jpg

The two 'bumps' below the central gun camera port looks like sensors of some sort - RWR?

Ken

• Like 1

The various lumps and bumps are relics from this  Hunter's  Swiss service as a F58, they are RWR antenna and Chaff and Flare dispensers (CFP-76 Pod) see pics here:

Swiss F-58 Walkround

The lumps at the forward end of the gun ports are Blast Deflectors, there are slots in the lower surfaces for the muzzle gases. also seen in a bit more detail in the above walk round.

As seen  in this pic on Air Britain, they have been around since the 1960's.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/view/1290195

I'm sure the Revell 1/72 Hunter kits (FGA-9 etc ) had these bits on a separate sprue.

I'm not sure about that Camo, it's growing on me though. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm with the don't like it brigade. I see it's got the F-35 'Polo Mint' instead of a roundel!

When I heard talk of it being repainted with a modern scheme I had hoped for 'digital'

Good thing is that HHA are keeping Hunters  flying so that overrules any criticism of the colour scheme.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, junglierating said:

I was on about the gun ports box sections not the 3 on top...which I could speculate about....they look like sensor but not MAWS 

HI Junglierating - If you check out my reply, I wasn't responding to you quiery, I was answering Nigels quiery about the use of the possible holes above, 1 I believe is the gun camera, whilst the ones either side are lights...………………….Thanks for the explanation Ken about the rework on those Sabrinas………...once again if you check out post #7 in the film footage, you will see them working as it flies past...…………...high intensity lights

• Like 1

That splinter camo reminds me very much of the camo applied to vehicles in the 70s when applied to vehicles in the Berlin Brigade, Chieftains, Ferrets and such like...….I think it was called Urban camo.

When I worked at Land Rover...……...a lot of experimental Range Rovers and Vogues were painted similar to this, the reason I believe was to confuse people trying to photograph it when it went on the roads on trials and test.  The disruptive pattern was I believe to confuse people taking measurements or trying to guestimate the dimensions of "new parts" added or upgrades applied for trials vehicle prior to being fitted to production models.  A bit like aircraft production, the first dozen or so vehicles would be held back for experimental trials, painted in the splinter camo and each vehicle allocated a sequence of trials...…….once these trials were completed, they were scrapped

Picture of splinter camo vehicle...……………….this is a much later splinter;

https://www.carmagazine.co.uk/spy-shots/land-rover/range-rover-long-wheelbase-2013-scooped/

Hi Raypit, I've had a look at that YouTube video, the only lights I see are one under the fuselage as it lands, (Another Swiss Modification, the RAF Hunters never had a landing light) and what may be a light on the middle hole on the nose, although it may just be sun glinting off the high gloss black paint on the two RWR blisters (Left and Right) and the Gun Camera Port.  (Middle Hole).

Here is a nice pic of a late (very late) Swiss Mk58, all of the items of discussion are shown. 

But that's as far as it goes. I don't know for sure, I'm not likely to find out anytime soon, and I've got a couple of models to build.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Untitled/Hawker-Hunter-F58/650117/L

16 minutes ago, Troffa said:

Hi Raypit, I've had a look at that YouTube video, the only lights I see are one under the fuselage as it lands, (Another Swiss Modification, the RAF Hunters never had a landing light) and what may be a light on the middle hole on the nose, although it may just be sun glinting off the high gloss black paint on the two RWR blisters (Left and Right) and the Gun Camera Port.  (Middle Hole).

Here is a nice pic of a late (very late) Swiss Mk58, all of the items of discussion are shown. 

I’d agree, the bumps are the RWR from their Swiss service.

i like the scheme, but it intruiges me as well. The fin/spine is obviously designed to disguise the shape, but previous designs like that have been an obvious type (e.g A4 painted to resemble a Mig17) not sure what this is. Falcon 20 perhaps? Then the black on the wing tops further changes the shape.