Focke Wulf Ta 152H

20180712_185847-120180712_18590220180712_18591220180712_18593920180712_190320

This is a lovely kit even though 1970's vintage hardly any flash on it.  Purchased via evilbay for less than £10 postage included, unfortunately the packaging was not very good and as it entered via the letterbox it suffered minor damage. - spinner cracked, x1 prop snapped, pilot suffered leg amputation, but all easily fixed.

The spiral on spinner was a challenge, I ended up just going for it and hand painting it.   I, at first tried the blue tack method paint spinner white then apply thin spiral of tack, paint black and remove blue tack, but it was dreadful.  This method had worked for me previously on a 1:32 Me 109.  I also attempted without success cutting the shape from an old decal shape that too didn't work.  Lesson learnt just go for it and paint it by hand....

The decals I cut very closely, and after reading on this wonderful site the virtues of using floor cleaner tried that.   I used CIF, as couldn't get Pledge anywhere.

The canopy was very misty but a dunk into the CIF improved no end.   CIF not neat about 30% water added.

The model is brush painted and I used a tiny piece of sponge on a toothpick for the mottling.

All comments welcome folks...

• Like 12

Nicely done with that, its come out very nicely, your mottling looks especially good.It appears you have a little silvering with your decals, did you gloss coat with the CIF before decalling? That should have prevented the silvering unless it isn't silvering & you just need a matt coat over the whole thing to take the shine off the decals & blend them in? :unsure: Overall though, I reckon you've made an oldie into a goodie. :) 

Steve.

Thanks Steve.  I put on the watered down CIf on area then added decal, the decal has formed into area better than my past experiences with Humbrol Decalfix.  Yes still got slight silvering on top tail decal and wing decals.  Reasonably happy with side fuselage decals, I cut them very close as suggested by Stix.

I was a bit nervous with these decals due to their age to be honest, I fully expected them to disintegrate..   I'll try a drop of matt varnish on the tail.

• Like 1

Looks good. Especially the spinner spiral and mottle. Although weren't these painted in the late war greens?

And I hope you gave appropriate negative feedback on eBay!

5 hours ago, IanC said:

Looks good. Especially the spinner spiral and mottle. Although weren't these painted in the late war greens?

And I hope you gave appropriate negative feedback on eBay!

Cheers Ian,. There seems there is no definitive answer to the colour scheme of this 190.  I went with the Frog call out of RLM Grey's and used similar Humbrol colours

Hum 79 with a drop of 33 black, 108 and 147.  The propeller blades are a deep green, this does not show up though in the pics very well Humbrol 30 and 33.

• Like 1

A superb build exactly as FROG intended, I love the way you have not been swayed to deviate away from how FROG designed it, and hand painted too, a lovely nostalgic build and reminder of how modelling used to be.

........as for your dangerous-sounding letterbox, have any Posties lost their fingers?

regards,  adey

• Like 1

3 hours ago, adey m said:

A superb build exactly as FROG intended, I love the way you have not been swayed to deviate away from how FROG designed it, and hand painted too, a lovely nostalgic build and reminder of how modelling used to be.

........as for your dangerous-sounding letterbox, have any Posties lost their fingers?

regards,  adey

Thanks adey,.  I know your a Frog enthusiast like me appreciate your comments.

I was tempted to add some green mottling I must admit, I still could.  I usually go for a bit of weathering, but avoided all but slight exhaust deposits.

The kit even today has great potential as you proved in your build which, I admire immensely.

As for the damage we are wondering if the dog was perhaps responsible, as she has a habit of late of laying under the letter box..

My next build I might do the Frog Messerschmitt Bf109F in my stash - Marseilles North Africa 1942 version.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1