Hi folk's,WWI is a subject I've been fascinated with for year's,recent delving into my families history has revealed how many member's served throughout

it's five year's my Grandfather was an artilleryman,Great Grandfather served in the Canadian army as a tunneller then engineer and Great Uncle died in

the mud of Passchendaele in November 1917 add in brother's we are into double figure;s as a family.I tried to be a bit different when it came to choose a

subject aircraft would be the preffered object but decided on confronting my weakest modelling skill figure's.

I then decided on a theme of Mons where the British army fired the first

shot's of the great war in 1914 with a simple vignette using ICM's infantry and Masterbox's farm cart on a simple base and some scenic's.

42661842024_7acf75944e_o.jpg

29513214338_2d85504f01_o.jpg

That's the plan I still need to order/buy the kit's but doubt I'll start till after the holidays in a few week's,now I then decided to bookend this build

with another vignette Mons 1918,probably with ICM's later equipped British infantry on a matching sized base  this time with some kind of

building or structure to represent the last shot's of the great war which although many year;s apart happened in tha same area.As soon as I plan

the kit's I'll update the thread.

Edited by stevej60
  • Like 11

51 minutes ago, PlaStix said:

Great idea for a project Steve. Really looking forward to seeing this in progress.

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank's Stix,first job will be to decide the size of the bases probably around 6" x 8",my LMS has a huge choice of scenic's,grasses trees etc.

looking forward to building the bases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

Nice plan Steve, looking forward to see this one come together.

Thank's Ozzy as I said be a few week's till after the hol's and a couple of other GB  build's  to finish before I start.

• Like 1

Sobering figure's indeed,and when all said and done nothing achieved by either side just the seed's of a larger conflict to come sewn,and the dividing

up of the Turkish and Austro-Hungarian empire's which still has repercusion's today.I had the pleasure of visiting some of the Great War sites back in

2001,Vimy,Arras,Somme,Menin Gate,Tyne cot,Cambrai etc,a real honour to walk in their footstep's.

• Like 2

I've looked at a few Idea's for the 1918 part ofthe duo and Tamiya's WW1 infantry seem to be the best set for poses etc,and looking at the various

item's needed for the diorama side Mini Art have a few choices that would suit both project's so no building base's etc I'll probably order at least the

kit's for the 1914 part this week although as I said it will be mid August  for a start.

• 2 weeks later...

Morning folk's,over the last week I popped into the LMS and looked at scenic's to get a feel for what was out there and what the outlay would

be which brought about a slight change of plan,for now I'm sticking with a scene from the first day's of the war with the British infantry but I'm

going for one of Miniart's ready made base diorama's which with the four figure's will I think make a simple but effective scene with careful painting

and some grasses.They do an awful lot of different building's and street scenes so possibly I'll go the same route if I progress to the second build.

42703065465_a15cea9ca7_o.jpg

• Like 4

Mini Art do have some nice building and street scenes on offer Steve, some of them definitely suit any era. Good luck with picking your next kit.

• Like 1

On 24/07/2018 at 10:02, stevej60 said:

Morning folk's,over the last week I popped into the LMS and looked at scenic's to get a feel for what was out there and what the outlay would

be which brought about a slight change of plan,for now I'm sticking with a scene from the first day's of the war with the British infantry but I'm

going for one of Miniart's ready made base diorama's which with the four figure's will I think make a simple but effective scene with careful painting

and some grasses.They do an awful lot of different building's and street scenes so possibly I'll go the same route if I progress to the second build.

42703065465_a15cea9ca7_o.jpg

Always worth checking Creative Models weekly specials, they change on Thursday, 

This one might be of use?

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/miniart_135_french_street_diorama-p-10967.html

MIN36006m.jpg

Cheers

T

51 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Mini Art do have some nice building and street scenes on offer Steve, some of them definitely suit any era. Good luck with picking your next kit.

They certainly do Ozzy!

36 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Always worth checking Creative Models weekly specials, they change on Thursday, 

This one might be of use?

http://www.creativemodels.co.uk/miniart_135_french_street_diorama-p-10967.html

MIN36006m.jpg

Cheers

T

Thank's Troy I'll check their site out I've only "perused" King kit so far that's a new one I've not seen before.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, stevej60 said:

They certainly do Ozzy!

Thank's Troy I'll check their site out I've only "perused" King kit so far that's a new one I've not seen before.

Hi Steve

Kingkit are expensive, but they know their business.

Creative are the importer /wholesaler,  "free post" over £30 order, the above would be as priced.  They moved premises recently, before they had more offers, not listed in the weekly specials and did have a damaged box section, which has not been updated in a while.

Time to see if the Weekly update is up.....

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

Hi Steve

Kingkit are expensive, but they know their business.

Creative are the importer /wholesaler,  "free post" over £30 order, the above would be as priced.  They moved premises recently, before they had more offers, not listed in the weekly specials and did have a damaged box section, which has not been updated in a while.

Time to see if the Weekly update is up.....

After your post I popped into my LMS as they carry a small mini art collection they don't hold stock of the dio and building stuff but as they have in the past

are happy to order from Creative who are a major supplier to them so I'll compare prices as my LMS tend todo10% off RRP.

6 minutes ago, stevej60 said:

After your post I popped into my LMS as they carry a small mini art collection they don't hold stock of the dio and building stuff but as they have in the past

are happy to order from Creative who are a major supplier to them so I'll compare prices as my LMS tend todo10% off RRP.

Good plan Steve

Just the street above is £32 as opposed to £47 is all, which is why I posted it, there were a couple of others as well, just the list updates at midday, so if you wanted them....

Alternately, if you like supporting your local shop (I don't have one) I think they can get the weekly specials too, MJW models often has them...

Says he who has got kit buying to a fine art.... And just needs to build some..

Still, they don't go off...  The oldest unbuilt kit I know a date for is an Airfix Helldiver I bought in woolies in sept 77....

Unbuilt as I'd that summer got the 48th bug... I digress

Cheers

T

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...