A Good Hampden?

Reparty

I've been out of the WWII RAF loop for some time, but the recently acquired Airfix Wellington I has highlighted the lack of an early war RAF bomber force in my collection.

I plan to supplement it with the Airfix Whitley, or the Fly Tiger engined version.

I last slapped together a black plastic Hampden in the late '60s I see the kit is still in the Airfix range, or there is a Valom version.

Any recommendations as to which one produces the better model, ladies and gentlemen?

The Airfix kit is pretty easy to find on the second hand market, although I would replace the transparencies with after market items. Valom do a Hampden and a Hereford but the kit transparencies are reported to be a poor fit. Personally, I would go for the Airfix kit with some replacement clear parts and a re-scribe. In fact, this is what I have done with a Hereford conversion I have been working on, on and off for a few years. Your post has got me feeling a bit guilty about that build, perhaps I ought to look it out again. Whatever you do avoid the Airwaves etch set for the Airfix kit. As S5 Modeller found to his cost, nothing fits from that set!

Martian 👽

• Like 1

Martian makes a good case for the Airfix kit, which as he stated, needs all the clear parts replaced. (I think Falcon did very nice vacform canopies for the Airfix kit- look for set #8 RAF Bombers.) I have the Valom kit, and it is better in some areas, mainly the interior, but the transparencies don't fit well, as Martian said; IIRC Valom's later boxings of the kit had revised transparencies, but I don't have the most recent release, so maybe one of our other Hampdenophiles can be more forthcoming. I think Valom even sells the revised transparencies  separately. That being said, I personally really like the Airfix kit, and I have two early boxings, so they are very crisp. Scratchbuild a decent interior and wheel bays, sand/down/off the rivets, do some rescribing, and get the vacform transparencies. I have seen some pretty amazing Hampdens done using the Airfix kit by BM'ers, so do a search for their builds and discussion on Hampden details. I'm sure one of the two terrific Tony's will be along shortly, as they have done very nice Hampdens, including a very, very nice torpedo bomber. Good luck!

Mike

• Like 1

I don't know that Valom ever revised their transparencies, but AZ released the Valom Hampden with new transparencies, including  a version with the corrected lower fuselage for the torpedo bomber.   The Valom torpedo bomber version being incorrect.  I agree that the Airfix Hampden is rather nice, one of the better kits of the period, but I suspect you'd be better off with one of the AZ boxings, if you can find one.  It is possible that the Falcon transparencies will fit the Valom kit - I haven't tried.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't know that Valom ever revised their transparencies, but AZ released the Valom Hampden with new transparencies, including  a version with the corrected lower fuselage for the torpedo bomber.   The Valom torpedo bomber version being incorrect.  I agree that the Airfix Hampden is rather nice, one of the better kits of the period, but I suspect you'd be better off with one of the AZ boxings, if you can find one.  It is possible that the Falcon transparencies will fit the Valom kit - I haven't tried.

You are right, Graham- I meant the AZ Models release, which now that I think about it, was advertised as the Valom kit with improved transparencies. @Reparty be sure and read Graham's post! Mea culpa!

Mike

7 hours ago, 72modeler said:

That being said, I personally really like the Airfix kit, and I have two early boxings, so they are very crisp. 

Mike, you may not be aware that Airfix actually retooled the clear parts for a number of subjects including Hampden and Wellington ca. 1974. The more recent ones are much thinner and may even be usable - all in all a 1975 boxing in grey may be the best bet if one can’t get hold of the Falcon set.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There are a couple of small, easily correctable, shape issues with the Airfix kit - the wingtips should be squared off and the mid upper gunners position needs a bit of filing to make the front of it more of a a 'hump' and not a smooth continuation of the fuselage. Apart from that it's a nice kit and gives you the longer flame damped exhausts which I'n not sure Valom/AZ do except in the Valom (otherwise incorrect) torpedo bomber conversion set.

I have some old - pre Valom - material on the Hampden published many years ago in an IPMS WWII SIG newsletter including notes on the Airfix kit - PM me your email address if you' like a copy.

Looking at the AZ set of corrected transparencies they include the modified ventral gun position for the torpedo bomber - I don't know if this will fit the Airfx kit but if you want to go down that route you may find someone has built the bomber version and has that spare.

Full discussion on the correct shape of the torpedo bomber version here https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234975101-hampden-torpedo-bomber

Edited by rossm
emphasis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Can’t add much to this discussion but I’m certain that ZTS Plastyk did one too ‘inspired by’ or even a borrowed mould from Airfix. The only difference iirc was that the panel lines were engraved.

Trevor

57 minutes ago, Max Headroom said:

Can’t add much to this discussion but I’m certain that ZTS Plastyk did one too ‘inspired by’ or even a borrowed mould from Airfix. The only difference iirc was that the panel lines were engraved.

Trevor

Bilek did one - from Airfix moulds AFAIK - don't know about the panel lines, didn't know about the ZTS one though.

10 minutes ago, rossm said:

Bilek did one - from Airfix moulds AFAIK - don't know about the panel lines, didn't know about the ZTS one though.

You could be right about Bilek. This was about 20+ years ago and the grey cells are fading, although I’m certain about the engraving. The rep at the model show who was extolling the merits of the model made a point of highlighting this improvement to me.

Trevor

1 hour ago, rossm said:

Looking at the AZ set of corrected transparencies they include the modified ventral gun position for the torpedo bomber - I don't know if this will fit the Airfx kit but if you want to go down that route you may find someone has built the bomber version and has that spare.

If anyone does have a spare AZ TB ventral gunner transparency, do get in touch!  I have the Valom TB and was thinking of modifying the kit and the Falcon transparencies, which would not be ideal.

Thanks for that - now I'm better informed, I've discovered that I can also get it from Hannants which presumably will be cheaper postage.  (Maybe not!)   I was thinking that I was only needing the ventral gunner position because I already have the Falcon set, but then I also have a spare Airfix kit plus Hereford engines, so the full set will come in useful.  Now to find something else from Hannants to justify the minimum postage!

Graham -

Thanks to your post  I searched the BIG H's website and found the AZ Hampdenm clear parts.  Unfortunately the cost is less than their minimum order level.

OK, so I logged into E(vil)bay and found the same 'set of clear parts'.  Ordered them with no problem.  I merely mention it.

Jonny

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip, but I've already put together a few extra items for a Hannants order.  I hadn't thought about a minimum order cost, I just prefer spreading the postage cost across a number of items.   There's always something worth getting, but I might wait until IBG come up with their British destroyers, as I'm pretty sure to get one of them.

The corrected AZ glazing for the Valom kit is available separately: AZA7034

Peewit have released a mask set for the new AZ clear parts: M72092

Also, Avalon Decals are shortly to be releasing two Hampden sheets (cat numbers 7006, 7007), one of which will also include the AZ canopy and a set of masks.

Just one point dear readers. The clear parts from the Airfix kit will fit the Valom kit which is'nt surprising as it was cribbed from the Airfix kit so if you have both no need for the AZ offering and I suspect most aficionados will have both kits, but have they checked this ?

Hi

maybe of interest there is a photo in this article of a TB hampden seems to have been modified with a solid rear to the bomb bay  ? 

or just painted over ? 

cheers

jerry

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2011/02/flying-right-torpedoes-air-force-part-43/  

Edited by brewerjerry

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

maybe of interest there is a photo in this article of a TB hampden seems to have been modified with a solid rear to the bomb bay  ? 

or just painted over ? 

cheers

jerry

https://legionmagazine.com/en/2011/02/flying-right-torpedoes-air-force-part-43/  

I take it you mean the ventral gunners position has no windows? There is something on the photo and the angle is tricky so I'm not sure that is the case but, if so, a clue could be that the article states most of the aircraft used at Patricia Bay were Canadian built - so I assume they did not need gunners which may - note it's a guess - may have allowed an simpler conversion than was applied to UK ones by omitting the ventral gun position when the height of that area was reduced.

From that one photo I wouldn't hang my hat on the idea they were different though.

4 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

The rear bulkhead is solid (and always was?) but with a notch to help carry the semi-exposed torpedo.

Hi

I suppose the cutout fitted in the gap under the seat

https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/569564684107372402/     

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

2 hours ago, rossm said:

I take it you mean the ventral gunners position has no windows? There is something on the photo and the angle is tricky so I'm not sure that is the case but, if so, a clue could be that the article states most of the aircraft used at Patricia Bay were Canadian built - so I assume they did not need gunners which may - note it's a guess - may have allowed an simpler conversion than was applied to UK ones by omitting the ventral gun position when the height of that area was reduced.

From that one photo I wouldn't hang my hat on the idea they were different though.

Hi

Never thought of the canadian ones might/maybe being different 😀

more reseach before i do a pat bay hampden 😀

cheers

jerry

On 7/17/2018 at 1:03 AM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

Never thought of the canadian ones might/maybe being different 😀

more reseach before i do a pat bay hampden 😀

cheers

jerry

Could be a lead but not much direct help http://www.canadianflight.org/content/handley-page-hampden