Hawker Hurricane Mk.I - Airfix 1/72

Hello,

Please find here my latest model.

This is Airfix’s Hawker Hurricane Mk.I in 1/72. This is an amazing kit that builds very easily. The assembly is lovely (I used a very limited amount of filler) and the level of details in the cockpit and in the gear bays is amazing. I must say I was very positively impressed by the quality of the landing gear fit. Well done Mr. Airfix!

It is as close a OOB built that I can do … the only modifications are:

• seat belts from Airwaves
  • a gunsight from Quickboost – strangely, there is none in the box
  • the canopy from Rob Taurus – that is only because I messed up with the one of the box; the windshield is from the box and all clear parts from Airfix are very fine, so no need for replacement for anybody more cautious than I was
  • the exhaust pipes from SBS model - this is a must imho: Airfix pipes are way too thin
  • the wings position lights that were built out of sprue (I used the same technic as for my Ta-183 – see WIP section)
  • instrument panel from Yahu which is wasted as you can’t see it once the model is finished: it is hidden by the control column and the gunsight; so don’t bother
  • canopy masks from Peewit which are fine for the kit’s windscreen but useless for Rob Taurus canopy – that make sense in a way…
  • painting masks from AML which I hope to re-use for another Hurricane.
  • handle on the canopy was made out of copper wire

I followed the paint instruction to the letter, so it should be one mount of 85 Squadron in Northern France in May 1940.

Gunze paints (H72 + H73) were used for top and Tamiya's white and black for the underside.

Highly recommended to everybody.

Cheers,

Antoine

41558322020_9ca9efaaf2_b.jpg

41558321430_3978fba214_b.jpg

43367158291_a9bed05244_b.jpg

43367157331_125c9aa5ce_b.jpg

43367156531_b0ea8601e1_b.jpg

42650416184_a5ff2b07a2_b.jpg

42650415184_e6cbeeb0f8_b.jpg

43318888272_2a851fd038_b.jpg

43367152971_258b1863d9_b.jpg

43318886692_b87c117f93_b.jpg

42650410714_1d865bcb2d_b.jpg

• Like 42

Splendid build, I have recently done one myself and agree it's a supurb kit.  The exhaust pipes are certainly worth changing, yours really improve the model no end.

The decals on yours look perfect, I struggled with silvering on mine.

Love the seat belts as well really make the difference aftermarket bits starting to see that now.

• Like 1

Thank you for your kind comments. Much appreciated.

On 7/12/2018 at 9:02 PM, Beard said:

no silvering on the codes/ roundel decal (don't ask me how hard that is to avoid)

On 7/12/2018 at 9:56 PM, Hairtrigger said:

The decals on yours look perfect, I struggled with silvering on mine.

I must confess that I was worried when the time came to apply the decals as I have read that silvering was quiet an issue for this kit. I had some cold sweat especially when I applied the one with code and roundel on the left side of the fuselage. The surface is irregular with a recessed handle and panel lines and the transparent area on the decal very large. It the end it worked out well … phew…😅

Basically, the decals were applied on a solid coat of gloss varnish from Gunze. I used mainly Microset to soften and make the decals adhere to the surface. For very irregular places, I used also Microsol but be careful, if you let it too long the decals will become really fragile… If the decal starts to shrink, don’t cry, or if you do, cry on the decal 🤣... but diluting the Microsol with some water might be a better option... then gently dry it with a cotton bud, from the centre to the border of the decal,  carefully applying some pressure on the reliefs.

The moment of truth was at the application of a second layer of gloss varnish. This gives a good consistent shine between decal and paint. After that, I applied the weathering and a coat of matt varnish, again from Gunze.

Edited by AntoineG

Gorgeous. Really fine work!

I wholeheartedly agree that this is a real cracker of a kit. I recently finished one of these OOB using the alternate 'C' code provided and while it is nowhere near as good as yours, the build itself was exactly as you described. Swish!

Airfix could do a lot worse than to introduce a metal wing version of this kit. Followed by a Sea Hurricane and a Vokes filter equipped tropicalised bird...

• Like 3

Hello Antoine.

Quite an inspiration-no,let me rephrase that-a major inspiration!

I am just about to commence to build the kit after a break in aircraft modeling for over 45 years!

I shall be brush painting with Model Master acrylics-the only paints I can easily procure in my town.

Three brief questions if I may..Were the Gunze and Tamiya paints acrylics?If so, did you use a primer?

Would the primer (if used) be suitable with Model Master?

Cheers,

Greg.

Edited by QuadrantIV
  • Like 1

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comments.

To answer your questions:

• yes the Gunze and Tamiya paints I used are acrylic paints though both have (had?) a enamel/laquer range; I would not recommend them for brush painting, especially the Gunze.
  • I didn't use any primer; this is mainly because:
    • I am lazzy and don't really like to use can inside; I do use sometime Tamiya grey primer that comes in cans; it is very good and gives you a very nice and regular coat
    • I don't know what primer to use with my airbrush, neither how to dillute it and how to clean it afterwards; I'm sure there is a good post somewhere in this forum, so if anybody can enllight me, it would be much appreciated.
  • Tamiya primer should be fine for Model Master paint. Bu experience it is fine with most of the paints, expect Alclad2.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AntoineG said:

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comments.

To answer your questions:

• yes the Gunze and Tamiya paints I used are acrylic paints though both have (had?) a enamel/laquer range; I would not recommend them for brush painting, especially the Gunze.
  • I didn't use any primer; this is mainly because:
    • I am lazzy and don't really like to use can inside; I do use sometime Tamiya grey primer that comes in cans; it is very good and gives you a very nice and regular coat
    • I don't know what primer to use with my airbrush, neither how to dillute it and how to clean it afterwards; I'm sure there is a good post somewhere in this forum, so if anybody can enllight me, it would be much appreciated.
  • Tamiya primer should be fine for Model Master paint. Bu experience it is fine with most of the paints, expect Alclad2.

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Antoine

Many thanks Antoine,

I especially liked your suggestion to use gloss acrylic gloss paint before and after applying the decals to prevent silvering and then apply a final coat of matt varnish to seal everything in.

Well,nothing for it now,I have assembled the hobby materials listed by my fellow modelers here so it is time to go for it!

A Stuka after this one..if I survive..

Regards,

Greg.

Edited by QuadrantIV
  • Like 1

A great Hurricane!

I have used the AML masks for three Spitfire's and they are still usuable for an another Spitfire. They are cheap and easy too use. One just have to take care when applying them to a kit so they are accurate to the real camouflage in some places...

Cheers / André

Edited by Andre B
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...