Fokker Dr.1 (yes, it's red) ++FINISHED++

I'm planning to enter two models for this Group Build.  Both will be aircraft, both will be German and both will be choices forced upon me.  Other than this, they will be quite different.

First up will be this Richthofen Roter Kampfflieger from Faller.

Fokker-Box-Top.jpg

Given my love of all things 1/100 scale at the moment, I was keen find a suitable WW1 subject in this scale.  Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, this is the only candidate!  Those of you who saw my Faller experiences in the Me.262 STGB, will understand why I've said 'unfortunately'!

The kit originates from 1956 (a fine year, even if I do say so myself), although mine is a later boxing.  The Dr.1 was a small aircraft and in 1/100, its wingspan is just 65mm.

As you can see it's a simple kit.  Although the decals are past their use by date, I have been able to find some suitable replacements.  I'll be building the early incarnation of von Richthofen's red triplane (he flew other colour Dr.1s too), in order that I can use the much more attractive early style crosses.

P1100403.jpg

I'm looking forward to an early start with this one.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 14

Great choice of aircraft Cliff. Will be very interested to follow your progress, especially with such a vintage kit!

Kind regards,

Stix 

• Thanks 1

Great choice Cliff

Although given the size I do think you are showing off that you can still see a kit that size let alone built it, still given your reference to 1956, you're just a young slip of a lad anyway so good for you  ;)

cheers Pat

• Haha 1

Thank you for all comments chaps :)

I've didn't have much time for modelling over the weekend, but I did get a bit done on the little Fokker.  It's diminuitive size and bright red plastic remind me of cereal box freebies from the 60's (or maybe something from a Kinder Egg or Happy Meal in today's money).

The first job was to remove the 'crosses' from the plastic parts.  Thankfully they are only marked as fine stippling and so are easily removed.

P1100420.jpg

Then I turned to the cockpit interior.  There's not much - just a seat.

P1100421.jpg

And here how things stood at close of play.

P1100422.jpg

It really was a tiny plane (the P-47 is 1/100 scale too).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8

Thank you Stix.  Here's a little bit more!

We now have drei decker :)

P1100423.jpg

I carefully followed the instructions and, with some fiddling, finally got everything lined up and looking good.  I left it overnight to set.

However, this morning I've realised that the cabane struts are actually on upside down (oh well, it is a Faller kit...) :(

I'll correct them one side at a time and hopefully that way I won't disturb the wing geometry.  I'll also take the opportunity to use some thinner struts, as the existing ones are way too thick.

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 4

Latest update.  I've managed to re-fit the cabane struts the right way up now and also fitted the undercarriage.  The latter's aerofoil section in effect provides a small fourth wing.  I've always thought of these sections as simply being streamlined fairings (rather than being designed for lift), so I've learnt something today!

P1100426.jpg

In the end I opted to thin down the kit's struts rather than provide new ones.  They're still somewhat overscale, but are sturdy and don't look too bad when not viewed in macro (and even better if you're wearing dark glasses ;)).

Off for some paint now (thankfully temperatures are much lower today).

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 5

On 7/28/2018 at 9:56 AM, Andwil said:

Looking good Cliff.  DR1s are small and fiddly enough in 1/72, I couldn't imagine wrestling one in 1/100.

AW

On 7/28/2018 at 11:26 AM, Robert Stuart said:

This is progressing very well Cliff, and looks good too :)

On 7/30/2018 at 1:51 PM, PlaStix said:

That looks to be progressing nicely! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thank you gents.  I'm getting there slowly!

So, the red kit is now grey - ready to be turned red again :winkgrin:

On the way I've added a few details missing from the kit:  tailplane struts, control horns and wing-tip skids.  I'm not sure how many will survive to the end.....

P1100430.jpg

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Robert Stuart said:

Those are good additions Cliff, your Dr.1 is comming along well.

Thank you Robert.

It's painted and glossed now ready for decalling.  From the little I've read (mostly on Britmodeller), I understand that von Richthoffen's Dr.1 was closer to 'blood red', rather than 'scarlet'.

I've used Vallejo Model Air 'Italian/Ferrari Red', as it seemed most fitting from what I had to hand.

P1100434.jpg

Note that I've already knocked off the rudders' controls horns - surprise, surprise!

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Andwil said:

The shade of red looks right to me.

AW

Thanks AW :)

The Dr.1 now has its decals.  The crosses are aftermarket replacements and the stencil markings are homemade.

P1100435.jpg

P1100436.jpg

Up until I took these photos, I was pretty pleased with how things were going.  However,  I've just realised that the undercarriage is in completely the wrong place!  :wall:

I've positioned it exactly as Faller intended, but it should be much further forward, with the rear struts being where the front ones currently are.

I can't believe I missed this - particularly as I'd already corrected a similar problem with the cabane struts!  Thankfully, it shouldn't be too hard to fix....

Cheers

Cliff

• Like 7

Wow! For saying how small your kit is you are making a beautiful job of it. Hope you get the undercarriage sorted okay.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...