REVELL DC10 LAKER SKYTRAIN

Hi everyone, just finished this one after what seems like a never ending struggle with a complicated wing structure and mods to engines to try and make it look a bit more refined, the kit is based on the -30 model however I have depicted mine as a -10 with centre undercarriage removed, must admit I never got round to trimming the wingtips to match the slightly shorter span of the -10 as I am sure the most eagle eyed amongst you all will probably notice ,decals are from 26 and was pleased with how easily the cheat lines went on as this is something I normally paint on. despite all the kits anomalies I am reasonably pleased with it.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    42394578085_af5eb60230_k.jpgDSC00843 by michael hobday, on Flickr

41489319200_f19a12ae41_k.jpgDSC00842 by michael hobday, on Flickr

41489321880_1f466536fb_k.jpgDSC00841 by michael hobday, on Flickr

42394575575_929a9145b6_k.jpgDSC00840 by michael hobday, on Flickr

28429540247_01afd7f6a1_k.jpgDSC00839 by michael hobday, on Flickr

• Like 41

That looks really nice.  Sir Freddie was an old boy of my school and I remember being captivated when he came to speak to the 6th form.  He was probably the inspiration behind a fair few of my school friends becoming successful businessmen after university.  It was a real travesty the way that he was forced out of business in the 80s by what these days would probably be deemed a cartel.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi Michael,

Nicely finished 10-10, it's such a classic livery and it just seems to work on the DC10.

What mods did you have to do to the engines?

Cheers,

Ian

Hi Ian, the nacelles provided in the kit have a very chunky looking flat profile at the front which needs the internal diameter opening up and the lips of the intake profile correcting,also the nacelle halfs were a bit warped so had to cut a slot a little way along the joints and infill with plasticard to get a neat joint, the parts provided for the exhaust seem to be for the original -6d engine so I added the bullet style exhaust to depict a later version of the engine.                                                                                                                                  Cheers Michael.

A stunner.

A wonderful DC-10 you produced.

I have  also a decal setfor the Laker version and even the original Revell boxing of that kit.

Seeing yours I might pick this one up for my next project

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

That's a beaut. How does it compare with the Airfix kit?

Hi Eric, I have not built the Airfix DC10 so I dont know how it compares for accuracy but I am sure it cant be anymore awkward to build.                                                                                                                                                                                                                        Cheers Michael.

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

That's a beaut. How does it compare with the Airfix kit?

The Airfix kit has a smarter wing mounting and the engines are better looking than the Revell ones,although still not perfect.

The nose is also better shaped than the Revell kit.

The Airfix kit resembles more the -30 series alas the Revell kit is more of a series -10.

The downsides are the much too low cabin windows,can be filled and replaced by decals and the engine mountings on the wings.They need to be sanded away,otherwise the engines sit too low almost touching the ground.

The Airfix kit also has raised panellines on the fuselage and the wings whilevthe Revell version has no panellines on the fuselage except for the doors and some inlets but the wings have recessed lines for the flaps and slats.

Both kits have their problems but can be built into nice models with some mods but I really wish there would be a newly molded kit released sometime

8 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

The Airfix kit has a smarter wing mounting and the engines are better looking than the Revell ones,although still not perfect.

The nose is also better shaped than the Revell kit.

The Airfix kit resembles more the -30 series alas the Revell kit is more of a series -10.

The downsides are the much too low cabin windows,can be filled and replaced by decals and the engine mountings on the wings.They need to be sanded away,otherwise the engines sit too low almost touching the ground.

The Airfix kit also has raised panellines on the fuselage and the wings whilevthe Revell version has no panellines on the fuselage except for the doors and some inlets but the wings have recessed lines for the flaps and slats.

Both kits have their problems but can be built into nice models with some mods but I really wish there would be a newly molded kit released sometime

Many thanks.

I've been tempted by the AIrfix and Revell 10s for years but never actually bought one.

Well done Michael, an excellent finish on a quite difficult, sometimes poorly fitting model. This one really looks right.Nice job.

• Like 1