Ospreys * 3, Galaxies * 3

Jonny

I ive in East Herts, just opver the Essex border, not far from London Stansted.

On Monday afternoon I heard a deep throbbing sound, looked out of the window and saw three Ospreys flying a loose formation.  Didn't have my camera to hand 😞

On Tuesday I saw three C5A Galaxies flying towards Stansted.  Actually, I missed the first but a friend asked "what sort of airliner is THAT?".  Two more came in at longish intervals.

I guess that was all connected with Trump - sorry, The President of the USA- visiting on is way home from Brussels.  The sky today has been noticably quiet so far today and I assume flights in & out have been curtailed pending AirForce One's arrival.

I’m in Essex as well, next to the herts border and just spotted 3 Ospreys heading towards Stansted... along with police choppers and a couple of military ones I couldn’t work out (my military knowledge isn’t great). As you said, I am also guessing in preparation of AirForce ones arrival today.

The Galaxies might have been the ones that precede the president carrying the presidential motorcade equipment including a very heavy modified Cadillac limo. Have no idea what the Ospreys would be doing as they don't have the range to come from the states, so would have come from either a land base or off shore carrier. 

• Like 1

There’s Ospreys based at Mildenhall and also Marine Ospreys (HMX-1) used to support Marine One and also as VIP transports, depends what colour they were?

I used to work at Boscombe Down, and a few years ago we were a little nonplussed as to why there were hundreds of policemen littering the airfield (They were all sat around sunning themselves making the place look untidy). It was only when the Ospreys landed outside the office, 50 yards away, that we found out we were being visited by Mr Obama on his way to look at Stonehenge. B****y American tourists.

The Ospreys are ungainly creatures aren't they?

Speaking of presidents. I remember seeing President Kennedy's helicopters passing over in 1963. One of my earliest memories.

I live quite close to RAF Northolt and had an Osprey and 3 helo's go over around 21:00 hrs last night, I wonder if that was POTUS?

43335109452_4f3d6f238d_c.jpg

Edited by Mr Bowcat
  • Like 1