Z-25 Kriegsmarine colours

Wizball

I'm in the process of buying paint for a Trumpeter Z-25 but I'm having some issues with colours. It basically comes down to the fact that I'm not a ship modeller normally so I don't get the basics. It would be easier if I just got the Gunze paint the instructions refer to but I prefer Vallejo or AK/Ammo!

The Z-25 is in a 1944 fit and operates in the Baltic sea. According to the instructions it has the same colour on the hull and superstructure (Gunze 305) and I see a lot of references to Hellgrau 50. BUT I read in other places that 50 is a pre/early war colour ("before 1942") and there is something called "Baltic scheme" which sounds like a good fit but that is supposedly a three-tone scheme which my destroyer hasn't got. I'm confused.

The deck is painted a dark grey (Gunze 308) and there is loads of "dunkelgrau" when I look at Kriegsmarine standard paints. Sometimes I read the deck should be 51 (which is dark but listed as hellgrau!) but more often I see that there is supposed to be a darker grey deck colour but that's listed as just "dark grey" without specifying which of the numerous dunkelgraus it is.

Can anyone help me out with the greys? I feel like I'm asking a very simple question here that's obvious to most of you (like, which brown should I use on a BoB spitfire) but I guess it's so basic that no one ever bothers to write it out...

My understanding is that the standard Kriegsmarine greys, Hellgrau 50 and Dunkelgrau 51 which were used on superstructure and hull respectively remained in use throughout the war. Indeed they were used continuously from WW1. Steel decks on Kriegsmarine ships would be default be Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau 1 unless you have specific information to the contrary.

26 minutes ago, Wizball said:

Ah, Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau 1 looks to be the code word I was looking for. I thought it was just used for boot-topping. Thank you!

I believe it was the U-Boot hull colour as well.  Re 50 and 51 I recall from talking to John Snyder that it was used postwar on the battleship Richelieu.