This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hi all,

The new Age of Sigmar (nee Warhammer Fantasy Battle) starter box came out a week or so ago, and I've been spending my evenings since then building the (many!) models contained within. All in all there are 52 miniatures in the box, split about 3/5 between the "Nighthaunt", i.e. spooky ghosts, and 2/5 "Stormcast Eternals" who are seven foot tall superhuman foot knights. I'm intending to paint the ghosts first as they're really cool, a blend of previous Warhammer ghosts and quite a lot of Peter Jackson & co's take on the Ringwraiths.

Here are the ghosts in question:

42638728824_70116625d8_b.jpg

(click for bigger)

I've cleaned up all the parts, assembled them and filled the (minimal) seams, plus made a start on basing so many of them are ready for primer. I need to pin a spindly arm that I broke on the tall thin one, otherwise they were a pleasure to build. Some of the duplicate models (the big horde of 20 little ghosts in the background) have been converted a little, I'll take some pics to show that when I get to them. I also added a signpost to the executioner's base (the one with the gibbet) since it was rather "boingy" held up by one strand of plastic ectoplasm.

Their opponents are also made up, these are the Stormcast Eternals in their fetching robes as they're now more magical than ever before. The guy on the griffon is particularly good, as is the woman with the outstretched arm.

28486213407_e981e75ae2_b.jpg

They're quite big next to the ghosts, they're mostly on 40mm bases, whereas the ghosts with scythes and polearms above are on 32mm. As appears to be the new norm for GW starter sets they're all fixed-pose models, generally with 1-4 parts each. That can mean things look a bit flat, but I think they've mostly avoided that although on the Stormcast there are some filled-in undercuts. I've opened some of these but not been too zealous about it.

I also picked up some very cool extra ghost supplies - more of the sinister polearm ghosts (Glaivewraith Stalkers) plus some excellent floaty Banshees:

42451533545_eb1f540d6d_b.jpg

29485356988_90c6a00cfa_b.jpg

These have lovely moulded bases with lots of appropriate graveyard-ey details, past efforts from GW in that regard have been excellent:

38254753701_34b7c81299_b.jpg

Oh yes, and I can't forget the box of ambulatory predator spells which I failed to resist - there are quite a few of those:

29485361378_b9c42d104c_b.jpg

42638736454_1051aa5394_b.jpg

some of which are really quite big:

43355429371_bcbfceff9a_b.jpg

Cleaning up all the mould lines (in GW's slightly harder "scenery made in China" plastic) on all the trailing magical stuff was quite an exercise but I did get it all done in the end.

So that's where I'm at at the moment. In terms of colour schemes, I think I'd like the ghosts to pick up the ones I painted a few years ago:

14919650534_e6e37a055a_b.jpg

but with bases that fit with my skeletons:

40547721441_76706283f9_b.jpg

I'm intending to re-base the existing ghosts onto appropriate rounds since I think they look a lot better than the old WHFB square bases. Hopefully I can clip them into shape, glue to rounds and re-scenic the edges of the new bases to match the rest of the models.

Hopefully get some priming and painting happening this weekend, depending on how the basing progress goes!

Cheers,

Will

Following with interest, Will. I've never really gotten into this fantasy wargaming thing, but the figures and the terrains produced by GW etc I find fascinating.

Thanks Clive, I don't really play either but I like the idea of having a coherent collection of models. And who knows, pressure is mounting from various friends & family to actually start rolling dice... My daughter and I did in fact play through the 40K starter set scenarios earlier in the week, and verily it was fun even with unpainted figures :)

I did a tiny bit more basing yesterday, adding brown stuff and grit to the base of the big horse:

42695636994_bf1fd9f063_b.jpg

(which also got chunks of slate and a resin skeleton from an old GW basing set) and to half of the smallest ghosts - the Chainrasp Horde. I've based ten of the twenty so far.

43411983631_702617dbd3_b.jpg

This also shows some of the tiny conversions I did to these models. They have two identical sprues of ten, so I've swapped some weapons and things over, and removed a few of the moulded grave stones to use on other figures. It's not a big difference but hopefully it'll create some variety.

I also took pics showing clean-up work on the split shoulder pads on the Stormcast figures. They're not amazing but I think a coat of primer and a rub with a fine-grit sanding sponge and they should be good to go.

41604370860_5194ac1bae_b.jpg

Cheers,

Will

Lol I once harboured a small hope that my dear daughter might discover the joys of model making, through playing the original Hero Quest. She ended up just painting the figures, which to be fair looked pretty good, but sadly that hope was not to last. Interestingly, she still talks about that experience in a positive way, so you never know! I dare say having 2 kids of her own is fairly effective in suppressing the desire to return to it at the moment though.

These new figures are on another level, it must be said!

Looking forward to seeing how they develop!

2 hours ago, clive_t said:

I once harboured a small hope that my dear daughter might discover the joys of model making, through playing the original Hero Quest

There's something magical about that game :) This is probably the first Warhammer figure I ever painted, a Heroquest skeleton:

20251593058_a3825b606b_b.jpg

And since I kept most of the figures these thirty years, it was the first one my daughter painted as well. I can't find a good pic of hers but I have a shot of her painting:

9125720242_e5f571b534_b.jpg

That's already a few years ago, time flies!

Will

Nicely done! You've got me thinking of all my as yet untouched HQ figures, could be a nice little collection of mules for practicing painting techniques :) Maybe I will end up displaying them, who knows! Great to see a youngster getting into something creative like that too, thanks for sharing :thumbsup2:

I've based the remaining chainrasps now:

43409063472_a5825ac5ca_b.jpg

and also repaired the Guardian of Souls, whose arm I broke while pushing his body halves together. I tried butt joins earlier with both solvent and CA but the surface was too small, so I've ended up inserting a 0.4mm nickel silver wire pin. I didn't get the holes perfectly aligned but I think I've mostly smoothed out the arm:

42741138004_50d629a86a_b.jpg

He is exceptionally creepy so I'm glad he's fixed up! The base got a couple of extra bits of ectoplasm I'd removed from the chainrasps earlier.

I also built up the set of objectives, which are basically seven little scenic vignettes. They're part of the made-in-China scenery range but they're almost as good as the Nottingham stuff. The plastic is a bit harder though, so cleaning up all the gears and racks on the orrery-thing was a pain!

43409060252_83c8192e04_b.jpg

I've left the treasure-chest bottoms loose so I can paint the contents, and I haven't yet filled the side seams, which are pretty obvious and will need attention.

Lastly I built a little Necromancer to raise up my skeletons - he's an older plastic character from 2010 but fit beautifully and is full of attitude:

42741140584_b17337c461_b.jpg

He has rather a dramatic spiked collar (I think to tie him into the vampire aesthetic) but I've left that off. It means his neck is a bit scrawnier, but I'm OK with that.

Excuses remaining about primer are getting smaller, so hopefully will do that soon. I was intending to spray on Sunday but it was such a nice day I ran an impromptu half-marathon on the waterfront instead :)

Cheers,

Will

6 hours ago, Will Vale said:

I was intending to spray on Sunday but it was such a nice day I ran an impromptu half-marathon on the waterfront instead

My Sunday was more or less the same Will. Actually, almost entirely less, but I did walk briskly to the freezer for a Cornetto at one point. I like to think that puts us on a semi-equal footing.

Have you seen the Mierce wraiths? They'd fit in rather well with the Nighthaunt figures. This one's my favourite, mainly because he's named Colin.

Andy:cat:

3 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

but I did walk briskly to the freezer for a Cornetto at one point. I like to think that puts us on a semi-equal footing.

:lol:

My first figure was a Skeleton too.....FTS-5.2 From the Citadel Miniatures FTS range:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniatures.com/wiki/index.php/Skeletons_-_FTS_Fantasy_Tribe_(solid_base)

FWIW

51 minutes ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

My first figure was a Skeleton too.....

Nagash has quite the influence :)

4 hours ago, AndyRM101 said:

but I did walk briskly to the freezer for a Cornetto at one point. I like to think that puts us on a semi-equal footing.

That's how I wanted to end up but it was too cold for ice-cream by the time I got back and all the coffee places were shut :( I hoovered up calories when I got home though.

The Mierce figure looks great, aesthetically a good match except that his skirt is full rather than ending in wispy bits. I hadn't really twigged how good the names are before - after Colin, Buggrom of Ulmo is rather fine. I also found an excellent category called "drinking companions" :D

Will

3 minutes ago, Will Vale said:

Nagash has quite the influence :)

Huh?  :shrug:

Harryhausen would have been my primary influence at the time.  ;)

Sorry, GW-centric joke. Nagash is the god of undeath and source of much trouble in the current storyline.

At the moment he looks like this:

99120207029_DeathLordsNagashSupremelordo

GW store link

but in the good old days he was more... special. I can't find an official image but there's a pic of his nineties incarnation here:

History of Nagash

Anyway, I did do some priming today, with a dozen or so ghosts in Alclad Grey with Alclad Black on the bases. I've just been going through and doing some post-primer cleanup and fluff removal so I'll need to touch up tomorrow before starting on the topcoat. Hopefully I wrote down the recipe for the ghostly green - pretty sure I used Tamiya acrylics last time around, although I'm intending to involve their clear paints for glazing this time.

Cheers,

Will

Subtle & understated in the usual GW way.  ;)

Beautifully painted though.....I take it that's one of yours?  :shrug: